A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

Will Godfrey
This is just a shout out to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot people out
there who, in spite of worries about home, family and jobs, in these especially
difficult times, *still* manage to significantly advance the software we all
rely on.

As one of the 'Idle Poor' (retired), I don't lose sight of the fact that this is
a considerable effort on their part, for which there are few thanks.

http://yoshimi.github.io

Re: A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

Jeanette C.
I can only chime in! It is a good time to say thanks, it is very much
appreciated! Without the open source environment on my Linux system I wouldn't
make music at all. Especially in my case, I am particularly grateful to the
people who started by developing accessible software or especially created
accessible interfaces. That way I have been able to express myself for a long
time and am still taking part in the world of music!

Feb 5 2021, Will Godfrey has written:

> This is just a shout out to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot people out
> there who, in spite of worries about home, family and jobs, in these especially
> difficult times, *still* manage to significantly advance the software we all
> rely on.
>
> As one of the 'Idle Poor' (retired), I don't lose sight of the fact that this is
> a considerable effort on their part, for which there are few thanks.
>
> --
> Will J Godfrey
> http://www.musically.me.uk
> http://yoshimi.github.io
> Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
> Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

You might think that I won't make it on my own,
But now I'm Stronger <3

Re: A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

Roger E
On 6/2/21 8:52 am, Will Godfrey wrote:
> This is just a shout out to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot people out
> there who, in spite of worries about home, family and jobs, in these especially
> difficult times, *still* manage to significantly advance the software we all
> rely on.
>
> As one of the 'Idle Poor' (retired), I don't lose sight of the fact that this is
> a considerable effort on their part, for which there are few thanks.

Hear, hear! Wonderful proof that "free" is not a synonym for "valueless".

Also 'Idle Poor' (retired) here but happy to occasionally sprinkle a few
beans to developers of software I find particularly useful.

Roger

Re: A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

Lorenzo Sutton
On 05/02/21 22:52, Will Godfrey wrote:
> This is just a shout out to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot people out
> there who, in spite of worries about home, family and jobs, in these especially
> difficult times, *still* manage to significantly advance the software we all
> rely on.
>
> As one of the 'Idle Poor' (retired), I don't lose sight of the fact that this is
> a considerable effort on their part, for which there are few thanks.

Well said can only agree and join in to that 'thanks' :)
Lorenzo.

Re: A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

marcod
Hey all,

just adding to the choir of thanks!
I used to develop much more than I do now, as I focus more on the arts, but nevertheless I always enjoyed being a small part of this community.
More importantly, my whole artistic and musical career has been (and it still is) possible thanks to the work being done in the linux audio community.

Big UP!

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021 at 13:23, Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/02/21 22:52, Will Godfrey wrote:
> This is just a shout out to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot people out
> there who, in spite of worries about home, family and jobs, in these especially
> difficult times, *still* manage to significantly advance the software we all
> rely on.
>
> As one of the 'Idle Poor' (retired), I don't lose sight of the fact that this is
> a considerable effort on their part, for which there are few thanks.

Well said can only agree and join in to that 'thanks' :)
Lorenzo.

Re: A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

Louigi Verona
Since Will did not specify that this has to be about audio, I want to give a shout out to the team that works on Krita. Stunning software.

Re: A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

Sam Kuper
On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 09:52:21PM +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
> This is just a shout out to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot
> people out there who, in spite of worries about home, family and jobs,
> in these especially difficult times, *still* manage to significantly
> advance the software we all rely on.

Hear, hear.  Thank you to everyone who helps free (libre) software to
thrive.

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.

Re: A huge thanks to those working on FLOSS

David L. Craig-2
On 21Feb14:0359+0000, Sam Kuper wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 09:52:21PM +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
> > This is just a shout out to acknowledge the fact that there are a lot
> > people out there who, in spite of worries about home, family and jobs,
> > in these especially difficult times, *still* manage to significantly
> > advance the software we all rely on.
>
> Hear, hear.  Thank you to everyone who helps free (libre) software to
> thrive.

Agreed--together we are making a profound difference.  I maintain
even those who simply use libre software are helpful to the cause
(but hopefully all do what they can to improve things).
--
<not cent from sell>
May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave_Craig______________________________________________
"So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe."
__--from_Nightfall_by_Asimov/Silverberg_________________

…and don't forget to express your thankfulness with *money*! :)

Michael Jarosch
Hi!

For all those that can affort it: Think about getting financial support
for our FLOSS-heros!

F.e.: https://www.patreon.com/falktx/posts

Greets!
Mitsch