AVB on linux: drivers?

Bearcat Şándor
With regards to Moshe Werner's post on the Motu 1248 working on Linux, it seems that AVB (AES67) works on Linux as well.  This is a dream come frue for me.

What i'm confused by, is where the drivers are. I can't find the drivers in the linux kernel or on alsa, but maybe my Googlefu is  weak today.  I do note that the Digigram LX-IP Digigram LX-IP RAVENNA, 128 in/out RAVENNA/AES67, PCIe Sound ... suppots Linux but i don't know wether it's a binary driver on an open standard, or a specialized driver for that card.

In short, where does one get Ravenna drivers?

Bearcat M. Şándor, CEO
Feline Soul Systems LLC
Voice: 872.CAT.SOUL (872.228.7685)
Fax: 406.235.7070

Re: AVB on linux: drivers?

Moshe Werner

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 1:07 AM, Bearcat Şándor <[hidden email]> wrote:
With regards to Moshe Werner's post on the Motu 1248 working on Linux, it seems that AVB (AES67) works on Linux as well.  This is a dream come frue for me.

Sorry to disappoint but I did not really try the AVB port other than for controlling the device, which is done via standard ethernet.
My audio goes in and out via USB.
Fernando posted that he is combining both (or that's what I understood) but the PC is connected to USB.

Best
Moshe

Re: AVB on linux: drivers?

Markus Seeber
On 05/14/2017 01:07 AM, Bearcat Şándor wrote:
> With regards to Moshe Werner's post on the Motu 1248 working on Linux, it
> seems that AVB (AES67) works on Linux as well.  This is a dream come frue
> for me.

AVB is not AES67.

> What i'm confused by, is where the drivers are. I can't find the drivers in
> the linux kernel or on alsa, but maybe my Googlefu is  weak today.  I do
> note that the Digigram LX-IP Digigram LX-IP RAVENNA, 128 in/out
> RAVENNA/AES67, PCIe Sound ...
> <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwiGk-r4--3TAhUH-GMKHd_jDdAQFgg0MAM&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.proaudiosolutions.com%2FDigigram-LX-IP-RAVENNA-p%2Flx-ip-ravenna.htm&usg=AFQjCNHZQL_QnbT9UCqfDlMm2eDiEm8N3w&sig2=-FIZmhytlsRVo4H8mdhUwg>
> suppots
> Linux but i don't know wether it's a binary driver on an open standard, or
> a specialized driver for that card.
>
> In short, where does one get Ravenna drivers?

You have to ask your reseller to provide a linux driver. You will
usually tell them Which Distribution and which Kernel you use and they
will send you a compiled kernel module, in other word the driver is
proprietary.

For example fouraudio provides a PCIe card and proprietary linux drivers.
http://www.fouraudio.com/en/products/dante-pcie-card.html

best regards
Markus

Re: AVB on linux: drivers?

On Sat, 13 May 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:

> With regards to Moshe Werner's post on the Motu 1248 working on Linux, it seems
> that AVB (AES67) works on Linux as well.  This is a dream come frue for me.

AVB is not AES67 (as someone already pointed out). I don't know everything
about either one... but the first thing about both is that they are a
collection of standards many of which we already have. The second thing is
that to make good use of AVB requires the right ethernet card as well. It
is possible to use AVB to transfer between two linux computers (jack to
jack) but requires manual setup to get it going. I don't know how well
setting up AVB end device to linux is supported. It is possible to use
Linux to connect two AVB boxes. (that is control connections that do not
go through the linux box) There is a commandline utility for that.

There is nothing from AVB to alsa at this time I am aware of.

The AVB port on the MOTU AVB series is useful in linux for controlling the
internal routing and for expanding what the Linux box can see through the
USB port.

Most network audio in Linux (and windows and MacOS for that matter) is
done by getting a "Sound card" that looks to the OS like an ordinary audio
interface, but connects to network audio boxes. MacOS does have direct to
AVB built in in some models but there are limits.

Re: AVB on linux: drivers?

Bearcat Şándor
On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:

> With regards to Moshe Werner's post on the Motu 1248 working on Linux, it seems
> that AVB (AES67) works on Linux as well.  This is a dream come frue for me.

AVB is not AES67 (as someone already pointed out). I don't know everything
about either one... but the first thing about both is that they are a
collection of standards many of which we already have. The second thing is
that to make good use of AVB requires the right ethernet card as well. It
is possible to use AVB to transfer between two linux computers (jack to
jack) but requires manual setup to get it going. I don't know how well
setting up AVB end device to linux is supported. It is possible to use
Linux to connect two AVB boxes. (that is control connections that do not
go through the linux box) There is a commandline utility for that.

There is nothing from AVB to alsa at this time I am aware of.

The AVB port on the MOTU AVB series is useful in linux for controlling the
internal routing and for expanding what the Linux box can see through the
USB port.

Most network audio in Linux (and windows and MacOS for that matter) is
done by getting a "Sound card" that looks to the OS like an ordinary audio
interface, but connects to network audio boxes. MacOS does have direct to
AVB built in in some models but there are limits.

Thanks folks. I was aware that avb is not AES67, but i meant that more like inclusion.   I just discovered that the card that i'm looking at states that "in-kernel drivers will be released", which gives me hope that i won't have to keep gatherig modules for old kernel versions,

That was the sum of my thoughts on it really.
--

Bearcat M. Şándor, CEO
Feline Soul Systems LLC
Voice: 872.CAT.SOUL (872.228.7685)
Fax: 406.235.7070

Re: AVB on linux: drivers?

Len Ovens
On Tue, 16 May 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>       about either one... but the first thing about both is that they are a
>       collection of standards many of which we already have. The second
>       thing is
>       that to make good use of AVB requires the right ethernet card as
>       well. It
>       is possible to use AVB to transfer between two linux computers (jack
>       jack) but requires manual setup to get it going. I don't know how
>       well
>
> inclusion.   I just discovered that the card that i'm looking at states that
> "in-kernel drivers will be released", which gives me hope that i won't have to
> keep gatherig modules for old kernel versions,
> That was the sum of my thoughts on it really.
What Linux needs for network audio interfaces, is a GUI that "does it
all". Some thing that ties the jack dummy backend to the ethernet cards
timer. Something that shows all available streams and allows the user to
connect a remote stream to the linux box and open it as a client in jack
and connect it to whatever jack port the user asks. Simple.... we can't
even use two audio cards on the same machine via a GUI... Ya, USB mics are
a thing.

Some might say "do it with ALSA" and maybe that is right too.... but I
think jack is the right tool for this. It already thinks about routing
from anywhere to anywhere which is what networked audio is about.

This is what makes the MOTU devices so interesting. They give one an AVB
endpoint that is not totally useless while figuring out AVB cause it can
be used as a USB 2.0 device right now.

Re: AVB on linux: drivers?

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On 05/15/2017 09:38 PM, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:
>
>> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 6:49 PM Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>       about either one... but the first thing about both is that they
>> are a
>>       collection of standards many of which we already have. The second
>>       thing is
>>       that to make good use of AVB requires the right ethernet card as
>>       well. It
>>       is possible to use AVB to transfer between two linux computers
>> (jack
>>       jack) but requires manual setup to get it going. I don't know how
>>       well
>>
>> inclusion.   I just discovered that the card that i'm looking at
>> states that
>> "in-kernel drivers will be released", which gives me hope that i won't
>> have to
>> keep gatherig modules for old kernel versions,
>> That was the sum of my thoughts on it really.
>
> What Linux needs for network audio interfaces, is a GUI that "does it
> all". Some thing that ties the jack dummy backend to the ethernet cards
> timer. Something that shows all available streams and allows the user to
> connect a remote stream to the linux box and open it as a client in jack
> and connect it to whatever jack port the user asks. Simple.... we can't
> even use two audio cards on the same machine via a GUI... Ya, USB mics
> are a thing.
>
> Some might say "do it with ALSA" and maybe that is right too.... but I
> think jack is the right tool for this. It already thinks about routing
> from anywhere to anywhere which is what networked audio is about.
>
> This is what makes the MOTU devices so interesting. They give one an AVB
> endpoint that is not totally useless while figuring out AVB cause it can
> be used as a USB 2.0 device right now.

Yup.

The plan I was contemplating was to first try to implement a minimal
jack client that could access AVB streams (if AVB is sync'ed to the
Linux computer). Why? Because I already wrote a small jack client[*]
that uses the network to feed packets to 1/2 of a network snake box, and
I have used it for years as a "cheap" A/D and D/A "card". So maybe (just
maybe) this would be easier than the next more desirable option which
would be:

Code a full AVB jack backend :-)
How hard can that be??

But I have never found the time to begin exploring this...
-- Fernando

[*] https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~nando/publications/jack_mamba_lac2012.pdf