Quantcast

Artiphon

Bill Purvis
I came across web pages and videos of this device.

http://artiphon.com.

I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
on Linux.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Bill

Re: Artiphon

Christopher Arndt
Am 17.02.2017 um 11:06 schrieb Bill Purvis:

> I came across web pages and videos of this device.
>
> http://artiphon.com.
>
> I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
> The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
> implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
> on Linux.
>
> Any opinions?

On the page it says:

"Getting Connected

Because the INSTRUMENT 1 is iOS and MIDI-compatible, it works with
hundreds of mobile apps like GarageBand, Animoog, and SampleTank. You
can also connect to your Mac or PC via USB to control Ableton Live,
ProTools, Logic, Mainstage, and many others."

And in the picture above the connector is labeld with "MIDI over USB &
Lightning)".

This implies to me that it is a USB MIDI compliant device.

But the proper way to make sure is to ask the manufacturer:

http://artiphon.com/contact/

Chris

Re: Artiphon

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:06:34 +0000
Bill Purvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I came across web pages and videos of this device.
>
> http://artiphon.com.
>
> I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
> The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
> implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
> on Linux.
>
> Any opinions?

Looks fun. Although there's an app to configure it.  Does it run in
wine ?

Re: Artiphon

Ralf Mardorf
On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 05:32:25 -0500, jonetsu wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 10:06:34 +0000
>Bill Purvis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I came across web pages and videos of this device.
>>
>> http://artiphon.com.
>>
>> I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
>> The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
>> implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
>> on Linux.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
>Looks fun. Although there's an app to configure it.  Does it run in
>wine ?

Less expensive and with strings:

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Beginners-Compatible-Connectivity-Zivix/dp/B0149YRRXA/ref=pd_sbs_267_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KC3B37XQX9PX7372BKMS

I never heard about those devices before.

Re: Artiphon

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Bill Purvis wrote:

> I came across web pages and videos of this device.
>
> http://artiphon.com.
>
> I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
> The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
> implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
> on Linux.
>
> Any opinions?

It is both midi and audio device, but does seem to be able to work out of
the box with macos according to this page:
http://artiphon.com/quickstart-for-mac-pc/
and this page:
http://artiphon.com/technical-specifications/
which has the magic words "USB 1.0 Audio Class Compliant" and "USB MIDI
Class Compliant" it also says "USB 2.0" meaning there is some extra
functionallity Linux may not be able to see/use.
However, "The Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1 Editor" would not be available for
Linux. So setting different tuning (5ths, 4ths and it looks like range)
may not be possible. Even settings like multichannel or single seems to
assume an editor is used.

Assuming it holds it's settings without power or you don't let the battery
die, it may be possible to set it up in a generic enough fashion that a
good midi filter may be able to give almost complete control. See:
http://artiphon.com/instrument-1-midi-mapping/

Re: Artiphon

Bill Purvis
On 17/02/17 14:34, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2017, Bill Purvis wrote:
>
>> I came across web pages and videos of this device.
>>
>> http://artiphon.com.
>>
>> I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
>> The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
>> implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
>> on Linux.
>>
>> Any opinions?
>
> It is both midi and audio device, but does seem to be able to work out
> of the box with macos according to this page:
> http://artiphon.com/quickstart-for-mac-pc/
> and this page:
> http://artiphon.com/technical-specifications/
> which has the magic words "USB 1.0 Audio Class Compliant" and "USB
> MIDI Class Compliant" it also says "USB 2.0" meaning there is some
> extra functionallity Linux may not be able to see/use.
> However, "The Artiphon INSTRUMENT 1 Editor" would not be available for
> Linux. So setting different tuning (5ths, 4ths and it looks like
> range) may not be possible. Even settings like multichannel or single
> seems to assume an editor is used.
>
> Assuming it holds it's settings without power or you don't let the
> battery die, it may be possible to set it up in a generic enough
> fashion that a good midi filter may be able to give almost complete
> control. See:
> http://artiphon.com/instrument-1-midi-mapping/
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

I've emailed them and asked if there is enough information to enable me
to cobble together
a crude editor for Linux. If the answer is positive, I'll probably buy
one.....

Bill

Re: Artiphon

On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 15:21:54 +0000, Bill Purvis wrote:

>On 17/02/17 11:26, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Fri, 17 Feb 2017 05:32:25 -0500, jonetsu wrote:

>>> Looks fun. Although there's an app to configure it.  Does it run in
>>> wine ?
>> Less expensive and with strings:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/Black-Beginners-Compatible-Connectivity-Zivix/dp/B0149YRRXA/ref=pd_sbs_267_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KC3B37XQX9PX7372BKMS
>>
>> I never heard about those devices before.
>Nor me! I looked at the Jamstick, but didn't fancy that. I'm a bass
>player and those
>thin strings would be pain with my delicate fingers!  ;-)

I'm not that optimistic, IOW I don't think that those strings have a
real guitar string tension. More likely they are slackly and won't hurt
princess and little school girl fingers. From the tactile point of view
I've gut serious "prejudices". I've got tendencies to use my keyboard
to play drum samples and usually ignore my elCheapo drum pads, so I'm
careful with buying some other plastic gear. All the times I had the
money to buy a MIDI pickup for my guitar, I bought something else to
make music. I suspect that a MIDI pickup is more usable, than those new
devices and I also guess that most of us will find something more
useful for the money. However, I might be mistaken. If I would have
"enough" money, I would buy both devices ;). It would be nice to play
cords and tunes on a guitar alike thingy, perhaps the nature of those
devices would allow to play cords and tunes at the same time, as
Stanley Jordan does on a "normal" guitar.

Re: Artiphon

Bill Purvis
On 17/02/17 10:06, Bill Purvis wrote:
I came across web pages and videos of this device.

http://artiphon.com.

I'm quite tempted but thought I'd ask if anyone has tried one.
The reviews seem to go for Apple (iOS) software, but the blurb
implies that it is just a midi device, so it should be usable
on Linux.

Any opinions?

Thanks
Bill
I finally decided I couldn't live without one and bought it!

After a bit of fiddling about I have got it working under Linux
with Jack and Fluidsynth. It will take a bit of getting used to apart from
simple guitar strumming which is fine. The 'virtual capo' facility works
well, you can transpose up OR DOWN anything up to an octave!

I can't get the Windows program to run under wine - it comes up with
'Need Window 7 or greater'! They are being cagey about releasing the
protocols to program the device.

I'm hoping to borrow a Mac or Windows PC to do a bit of customising.
Maybe I can interpose something to sneak out the Midi bytes and figure
out the protocol!

The device has two built-in speakers, but nothing comes out of them.
It seems they are using an extended USB MIDI which support audio? Is this
simply treating the device as two USB devices - a MIDI port and an Audio port?
It doesn't show up under the Audio ports with QjackCtl. Anyone comes across this?

Bill