BPM and key detection libraries

Louigi Verona
Hey everyone!

What are the bpm and key detection libraries people use for open source projects? And how good are they?

Does anyone know what Mixxx is using?

Re: BPM and key detection libraries

Christopher Arndt
Am 14.10.19 um 10:36 schrieb Louigi Verona:
> What are the bpm and key detection libraries people use for open source
> projects? And how good are they?

I use these command line tools: http://www.pogo.org.uk/~mark/bpm-tools/

Only needed it a couple of times but worked well then, even with non-EDM
music, im my case Irish Folk.

The AUR package for this has a minor patch for the bpm-tag script:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/bpm-tools

Chris

0x1E0D97B33A4E1F31.asc (13K) Download Attachment

Re: BPM and key detection libraries

Robin Gareus
On 10/14/19 10:36 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> What are the bpm and key detection libraries people use for open source
> projects? And how good are they?

https://vamp-plugins.org/download.html are amazing.

You can test for yourself using sonic-visualizer.

Cheers!
robin

Re: BPM and key detection libraries

Louigi Verona
Plugins are good, but I am more interested in libraries that people can use for their projects.

bpm-tools look like what I mean, but they are so old: last release was in 2013. Are there any other open source libraries people use?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 3:06 PM Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/14/19 10:36 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> What are the bpm and key detection libraries people use for open source
> projects? And how good are they?

https://vamp-plugins.org/download.html are amazing.

You can test for yourself using sonic-visualizer.

Cheers!
robin

Re: BPM and key detection libraries

michael noble-2
You might also look at Aubio: https://github.com/aubio/aubio

BTW, Vamp has an SDK, so it should be suited to your needs. See here: https://vamp-plugins.org/develop.html

  As a case in point, Mixxx uses Vamp:  https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/developer_guide_analysers

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM michael noble <[hidden email]> wrote:
You might also look at Aubio: https://github.com/aubio/aubio

BTW, Vamp has an SDK, so it should be suited to your needs. See here: https://vamp-plugins.org/develop.html

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:58 PM Louigi Verona <[hidden email]> wrote:
Plugins are good, but I am more interested in libraries that people can use for their projects.

bpm-tools look like what I mean, but they are so old: last release was in 2013. Are there any other open source libraries people use?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 3:06 PM Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/14/19 10:36 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> What are the bpm and key detection libraries people use for open source
> projects? And how good are they?

https://vamp-plugins.org/download.html are amazing.

You can test for yourself using sonic-visualizer.

Cheers!
robin

Re: BPM and key detection libraries

David Moreno Montero
Hi,

for a project I used MiniBPM (https://breakfastquay.com/minibpm/) and it gave me very good results for beat detection. It's GPL, or small payment for commercial use.

As an alternative I used SoundTouch (https://gitlab.com/soundtouch/soundtouch/) that also give pitch and tempo control, and although the pitch/tempo algorithms are good, the BPM detection is way worse than MiniBPM. This one is LGPL.

Regards,
David.

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 at 05:52, michael noble <[hidden email]> wrote:
  As a case in point, Mixxx uses Vamp:  https://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/developer_guide_analysers

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM michael noble <[hidden email]> wrote:
You might also look at Aubio: https://github.com/aubio/aubio

BTW, Vamp has an SDK, so it should be suited to your needs. See here: https://vamp-plugins.org/develop.html

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 7:58 PM Louigi Verona <[hidden email]> wrote:
Plugins are good, but I am more interested in libraries that people can use for their projects.

bpm-tools look like what I mean, but they are so old: last release was in 2013. Are there any other open source libraries people use?

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 3:06 PM Robin Gareus <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 10/14/19 10:36 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> What are the bpm and key detection libraries people use for open source
> projects? And how good are they?

https://vamp-plugins.org/download.html are amazing.

You can test for yourself using sonic-visualizer.

Cheers!
robin

David Moreno Montero

[hidden email]
+34 658 18 77 17
Coralbits.com
http://www.coralbits.com

Re: BPM and key detection libraries

Louigi Verona
Just wanted to thank everyone for the replies, this was very helpful!