Ballade - Andromeda [music]

Dave Phillips
Greetings !

A little musing from the machine on a cold gray Sunday morning in
December here in NW OH USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_p-hstU-Q

And for the sonically discriminating here's the original WAV file at 48
kHz 24-bit rez :

http://linux-sound.org/audio/ballade-andromeda.wav

Made with a generative patch in VCV Rack. Nothing special musically but
I like the mood and the sounds.

Best regards,

dp

Re: Ballade - Andromeda [music]

Francesco Ariis
On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 10:04:24AM -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings !
>
> A little musing from the machine on a cold gray Sunday morning in December
> here in NW OH USA.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_p-hstU-Q

That was one weird listening (and got me interested in generative
patches), well done!

Re: Ballade - Andromeda [music]

Dec 15 2019, Dave Phillips has written:
Hey Dave,
I love the sound that meanders between the metallic bell like tone and
the almost format timbre. What sweet sounds! :)

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_p-hstU-Q

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Top down, on the strip
Lookin' in the mirror
I'm checkin' out my lipstick <3

Re: Ballade - Andromeda [music]

Dave Phillips
Hi Paul !

On 12/15/2019 04:56 PM, you wrote:
On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 8:04 AM Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings !

A little musing from the machine on a cold gray Sunday morning in
December here in NW OH USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_p-hstU-Q

And for the sonically discriminating here's the original WAV file at 48
kHz 24-bit rez :

http://linux-sound.org/audio/ballade-andromeda.wav

Made with a generative patch in VCV Rack. Nothing special musically but
I like the mood and the sounds.

wot no patchfile?

But of course:

https://patchstorage.com/ballade-andromeda/

Best regards,

dp

Re: Ballade - Andromeda [music]

Louigi Verona
Went through many of your patches on your YouTube channel. Amazing stuff.

I do have one question, though. How do you make VCVRack run on Linux? I tried installing it again, but no matter what latency I choose, it's just hopelessly choppy. I remember having this problem before as well.

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 11:02 PM Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Paul !

On 12/15/2019 04:56 PM, you wrote:
On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 8:04 AM Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings !

A little musing from the machine on a cold gray Sunday morning in
December here in NW OH USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_p-hstU-Q

And for the sonically discriminating here's the original WAV file at 48
kHz 24-bit rez :

http://linux-sound.org/audio/ballade-andromeda.wav

Made with a generative patch in VCV Rack. Nothing special musically but
I like the mood and the sounds.

wot no patchfile?

But of course:

https://patchstorage.com/ballade-andromeda/

Best regards,

dp

Re: Ballade - Andromeda [music]

Paul Davis
Just for reference, I installed the prebuilt version from the website. Works flawlessly here unless the DSP load (or some other system load) is very high.

Note that the internal engineering of VCV Rack is utterly and completely wrong, but nevertheless manages to be one of the best pieces of audio software (and certainly among the very best open source pieces) from a user perspective. Nevertheless, the internal engineering issues are going to make it more likely to glitch than your average JACK client,

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 3:32 PM Louigi Verona <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you to everyone who listened to my little music and replied to my post. I'll cover your questions and issues here.

Louigi Verona wrote:

> Went through many of your patches on your YouTube channel. Amazing stuff.
>
> I do have one question, though. How do you make VCVRack run on Linux? I

Thanks for checking out my YT channel, Louigi. Much of what's posted there is experimental and/or tutorial for my purposes. There are some "compositions" but I find that the environment favors exploration of synthesis methods, generative music concepts, and some unique performance aspects.

I can't imagine what's happening with Rack on your system. I know that you run a configured system, so there must be a missing piece somewhere.

For the sake of comparison here's my hardware specs:

AMD FX6300 6-core CPU
16 GB memory
fast large HD
M-Audio Delta 66 audio interface
UA25 (for MIDI interface)
nVidia chipset graphics board

And the software specs:

Fedora 23
Planet CCRMA rt kernel
nVidia proprietary driver
CPU governor set to full performance

Rack wants a specific level of support for OpenGL but I don't think it's an uncommon or unusual version.

Paul Davis wrote:

> Just for reference, I installed the prebuilt version from the website. Works flawlessly here unless the DSP load (or some other system load) is very high.
>
> Note that the internal engineering of VCV Rack is utterly and completely wrong, but nevertheless manages to be one of the best pieces of audio software (and certainly among the very best open source pieces) from a user perspective.
> Nevertheless, the internal engineering issues are going to make it more likely to glitch than your average JACK client,

Probably the most glaring problem is its "reliance" (for lack of a better term) on a single CPU core. Yes, it supports multicore, but unlike Ardour or the u-he plugins performance takes a hit when multiple cores are selected. I still find my best performance capacity by staying with a single core. I'm reading bits and pieces that imply tyhat v2 will have a rewritten engine with much better latency and better all-around performance. V2 is expected by early 2020.

Btw, the result of the limited core performance is a restriction on my patch size/complexity. I've hit the wall many times, something you might not expect from a 3.5 GHz CPU. Meanwhile users with Intel CPUs report much better performance, apparently due to the Intel architecture.

Jeanette C. wrote:

> I love the sound that meanders between the metallic bell like tone and
> the almost format timbre. What sweet sounds!

Thanks, J ! I confess I'm totally fascinated by the sonic variety available on the Rack. Which is a good thing, I guess, since typically there are no presets for the modules, i.e. I have to program just about everything. Like Csound. :)

I've tried a number of strategies for making music with the Rack. I've sync'd it with DAWs, routed external instruments and vocals into it for extended processing, used it as a standalone synthesizer under external MIDI control, and I've written a short-ton of generative patches for it. It is a fascinating environment, and it has the great virtue of being eminently affordable when compared to its hardware counterparts (and its software competition).

Again, my thanks to all who have listened to the piece and to those who have replied to my note. If you'd like to hear more of my music made with VCV Rack please visit my YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Kw67XwyKACygelcd-D2-g.

Best regards,

dp

Re: Ballade - Andromeda [music]

On Sun, 15 Dec 2019 10:04:24 -0500
Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Greetings !
>
>A little musing from the machine on a cold gray Sunday morning in
>December here in NW OH USA.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in_p-hstU-Q
>
>And for the sonically discriminating here's the original WAV file at 48
>kHz 24-bit rez :
>
>http://linux-sound.org/audio/ballade-andromeda.wav
>
>Made with a generative patch in VCV Rack. Nothing special musically but
>I like the mood and the sounds.
>
>Best regards,
>
>dp

It does manage to to convey a sort of relaxed chill-out atmosphere.
Very interesting.