Behringer UMC1820

Peter P.-2
Hi,

s'cuse me if this has been asked before, but has anyone had any
experience with a Behringer UMC1820 soundcard under linux? If yes, how
does one change properties of the card such as sample rate, etc?

Looks like the cheapest™ USB class compliant card with more than 8 I/O
on the market right now....

cheers, P

Re: Behringer UMC1820

Paul Davis

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:46 PM Peter P. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

s'cuse me if this has been asked before, but has anyone had any
experience with a Behringer UMC1820 soundcard under linux? If yes, how
does one change properties of the card such as sample rate, etc?

Looks like the cheapest™ USB class compliant card with more than 8 I/O
on the market right now....

All class compliant USB devices work in the same way, since they are controlled by the same device driver (with minor variations for "quirks").

The sample rate is controlled by the application using the device.

Re: Behringer UMC1820

Peter P.-2
* Paul Davis <[hidden email]> [2019-11-07 00:17]:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 3:46 PM Peter P. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > s'cuse me if this has been asked before, but has anyone had any
> > experience with a Behringer UMC1820 soundcard under linux? If yes, how
> > does one change properties of the card such as sample rate, etc?
> >
> > Looks like the cheapest™ USB class compliant card with more than 8 I/O
> > on the market right now....
> >

> All class compliant USB devices work in the same way, since they are
> controlled by the same device driver (with minor variations for "quirks").
>
> The sample rate is controlled by the application using the device.
Thanks Paul, was asking because my UA-25 has a hardware sampling rate
switch on its back which wants to be honoured (aka 'quirk'). best, P

Re: Behringer UMC1820

Niklas Reppel

I have one and use it regularly with multichannel setups, it works out of the box and I have no complaints.

It even allows to separately control the volume of its outputs using alsamixer, which is nice.

As Paul already said, the samplerate is controlled by whatever software you use it with.

The only "quirk" (if it is one) is that you can't use it with JACK using an arbitrary number of channels,
just the maximum. Ideally, just omit the channel argument. I once nearly went mad because I didn't know
why my system suddenly stopped working, just to find out that I added the channel argument to start JACK.