Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

Daniel Swärd
Hi.

Tomorrow Tuesday it's again the Linux audio meeting at c-base in
Berlin. See you there at 20.

Cheers

        /Daniel

Re: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

Louigi Verona
Hey everyone!

I am not able to make it this time, have competing plans. Hope you guys have fun!

Some suggested topics for you:
- What did you think about presentations at Sonoj? Specifically unfa's presentation of a new synth was interesting (Vital)
- The state of sound engineering tools on Linux Audio: EQs, compressors and limiters. What is the actual DSP level of these, compared to commercial counterparts.

Louigi.

On Mon, 2019-11-11 at 15:36 +0100, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> I am not able to make it this time, have competing plans. Hope you
> guys have fun!
>
> Some suggested topics for you:
> - What did you think about presentations at Sonoj? Specifically
> unfa's presentation of a new synth was interesting (Vital)

New synth? Didn't know about that.

> - The state of sound engineering tools on Linux Audio: EQs,
> compressors and limiters. What is the actual DSP level of these,
> compared to commercial counterparts.

"actual DSP level"?

I on the other hand was wondering if there's a Linux VST for
convolution reverb so we could test out the Teufelsberg impulse

http://www.balancemastering.com/blog/free-teufelsberg-nsa-listening-tower-impulse-responses-ir-irs-convolution/

        /Daniel

Re: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

Hermann Meyer

Am 12.11.19 um 09:52 schrieb Daniel Swärd:

> On Mon, 2019-11-11 at 15:36 +0100, Louigi Verona wrote:
>> Hey everyone!
>>
>> I am not able to make it this time, have competing plans. Hope you
>> guys have fun!
>>
>> Some suggested topics for you:
>> - What did you think about presentations at Sonoj? Specifically
>> unfa's presentation of a new synth was interesting (Vital)
> New synth? Didn't know about that.
>
>> - The state of sound engineering tools on Linux Audio: EQs,
>> compressors and limiters. What is the actual DSP level of these,
>> compared to commercial counterparts.
> "actual DSP level"?
>
> I on the other hand was wondering if there's a Linux VST for
> convolution reverb so we could test out the Teufelsberg impulse
>
> http://www.balancemastering.com/blog/free-teufelsberg-nsa-listening-tower-impulse-responses-ir-irs-convolution/
>
> /Daniel

There is a convolution reverb in the LSP bundle, available as LV2 and VST.

https://github.com/sadko4u/lsp-plugins

On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 10:09 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
> Am 12.11.19 um 09:52 schrieb Daniel Swärd:
> > I on the other hand was wondering if there's a Linux VST for
> > convolution reverb so we could test out the Teufelsberg impulse

http://www.balancemastering.com/blog/free-teufelsberg-nsa-listening-tower-impulse-responses-ir-irs-convolution/

> > /Daniel
>

> There is a convolution reverb in the LSP bundle, available as LV2 and
> VST.

Ah, nice. Then I'll have to check that out tonight. :-)

Thanks.

        /Daniel

Re: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

Louigi Verona
I meant DSP quality.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 11:08 AM Daniel Swärd <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 10:09 +0100, Hermann Meyer wrote:
> Am 12.11.19 um 09:52 schrieb Daniel Swärd:
> > I on the other hand was wondering if there's a Linux VST for
> > convolution reverb so we could test out the Teufelsberg impulse

http://www.balancemastering.com/blog/free-teufelsberg-nsa-listening-tower-impulse-responses-ir-irs-convolution/

> >     /Daniel
>

> There is a convolution reverb in the LSP bundle, available as LV2 and
> VST.

Ah, nice. Then I'll have to check that out tonight. :-)

Thanks.

        /Daniel

Re: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

trebmuh
>> I on the other hand was wondering if there's a Linux VST for
>> convolution reverb so we could test out the Teufelsberg impulse
>>
>> http://www.balancemastering.com/blog/free-teufelsberg-nsa-listening-tower-impulse-responses-ir-irs-convolution/
>>
>> /Daniel
>

> There is a convolution reverb in the LSP bundle, available as LV2 and
> VST.
>
> https://github.com/sadko4u/lsp-plugins

Other possibilities includes:
- Hybrid Reverb 2 ( https://github.com/jpcima/HybridReverb2 )
- IR.lv2 ( https://github.com/tomszilagyi/ir.lv2 )
- KlangFalter ( https://github.com/HiFi-LoFi/KlangFalter/ , see in the
distrho project for a LV2 version)

I know there is as well something called "Impulse convolver" in the SWH
plugins suite), jconvolver, and convollv2 (
https://github.com/x42/convoLV2/ ). You might want to check these as
well.

Anyway, have good reverb time!
Olivier

--
Site web : https://librazik.tuxfamily.org/
Donation : https://liberapay.com/LibraZiK/

Re: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

Lorenzo Sutton
On 12/11/19 11:20, Louigi Verona wrote:
> I meant DSP quality.

It would be interesting, if this is actually discussed, if outcomes
could be shared on LAU ML. In particular also what the metrics for
assessment/comparison were/are

Lorenzo.

On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 11:20 +0100, Louigi Verona wrote:
> I meant DSP quality.

Sure. I'm just saying that I don't understand what "DSP quality" means
or how to measure it in this context...

        /Daniel

Re: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

Louigi Verona
What DSP quality means would depend on the function discussed. EQuing and compressing each have their own DSP challenges.

In around 2010 a sound engineer that helped me a little bit with my album assessed the Linux EQ plugins and found most of them to be unusable due to them generating noisy artifacts. He did single out a couple of plugins which seemed to do the job well. If I remember correctly, it was this one. Unfortunately, I have noticed this myself when producing ambient. Using Zyn EQ, for example, would generate a light hiss that I had to later clean out after render.

But obviously, experts should look into this, and I think this conversation could be useful.

On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 13:37 +0100, Louigi Verona wrote:

> What DSP quality means would depend on the function discussed. EQuing
> and compressing each have their own DSP challenges.
>
> In around 2010 a sound engineer that helped me a little bit with my
> album assessed the Linux EQ plugins and found most of them to be
> unusable due to them generating noisy artifacts. He did single out a
> couple of plugins which seemed to do the job well. If I remember
> correctly, it was this one. Unfortunately, I have noticed this myself
> when producing ambient. Using Zyn EQ, for example, would generate a
> light hiss that I had to later clean out after render.

Ah, ok, then I understand what you mean. :-)

> But obviously, experts should look into this, and I think this
> conversation could be useful.

I guess Robin can weigh in on this.

        /Daniel

Re: Berlin Linux Audio meeting @ c-base 2019-11-12

Roger E
On 13/11/19 12:11 am, Daniel Swärd wrote:

> On Tue, 2019-11-12 at 13:37 +0100, Louigi Verona wrote:
>> What DSP quality means would depend on the function discussed. EQuing
>> and compressing each have their own DSP challenges.
>>
>> In around 2010 a sound engineer that helped me a little bit with my
>> album assessed the Linux EQ plugins and found most of them to be
>> unusable due to them generating noisy artifacts. He did single out a
>> couple of plugins which seemed to do the job well. If I remember
>> correctly, it was this one. Unfortunately, I have noticed this myself
>> when producing ambient. Using Zyn EQ, for example, would generate a
>> light hiss that I had to later clean out after render.
> Ah, ok, then I understand what you mean. :-)
>
>> But obviously, experts should look into this, and I think this
>> conversation could be useful.
> I guess Robin can weigh in on this.

This would be an interesting subject for testing and discussion.

I use the EQ10Q plugins you linked and they seem to work well,
particularly the EQs and gate. X42 plugins work nicely along with most
of the Harrison ones. AVLinux includes hundreds of plugins and it's
impossible to try them all although I've been pleasantly surprised by
some previously unknown ones such as TAL and Dragonfly reverbs.

Some other plugins I've tried and abandoned quickly because they just
sound bad. Hard to tell whether that's bad DSP or just unwieldy controls
that that make it difficult to achieve the desired result.

Some actual scientifically valid testing would be illuminating rather
than just perception of quality as a user.

Cheers, Roger