Best collaboration software...

worik
Given the current curfew has me unable to physically collaborate I am
looking for software for online collaboration.

Any suggestions?

Worik

--
    If not me then who?  If not now then when?  If not here then where?
              So, here I stand, I can do no other

Re: Best collaboration software...

Lorenzo Sutton
On 03/04/20 03:36, worik wrote:
> Given the current curfew has me unable to physically collaborate I am
> looking for software for online collaboration.

Really depends on what you define as 'collaboration', who you are
wishing to interact with and how. There's a bunch of software /
platforms / workflow but really depends on what your use case is :-)

I also assume you mean for *musical* collaboration given the list?

For instance with people I physically play with we often 'collaborate'
also online in terms of (musical / song) idea sharing etc. In that case
everyone uses their own local software set-up for music and then just
exchange files with whatever online platform works for all...

There are online platforms which offer to collaborate with people by
allowing you to share tracks and improvise/add to them. That can be fun
for practising and getting to know other musicians from all over the world.

Platforms which claim to allow 'collaborative composition' exist,
although I never tried them.

I'm sure there are many other workflows and related
platforms/software... :-)

Lorenzo.

Re: Best collaboration software...

Peter P.-2
* Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]> [2020-04-03 09:43]:

> On 03/04/20 03:36, worik wrote:
> > Given the current curfew has me unable to physically collaborate I am
> > looking for software for online collaboration.
>
> Really depends on what you define as 'collaboration', who you are wishing to
> interact with and how. There's a bunch of software / platforms / workflow
> but really depends on what your use case is :-)
>
> I also assume you mean for *musical* collaboration given the list?
>
> For instance with people I physically play with we often 'collaborate' also
> online in terms of (musical / song) idea sharing etc. In that case everyone
> uses their own local software set-up for music and then just exchange files
> with whatever online platform works for all...
>
> There are online platforms which offer to collaborate with people by
> allowing you to share tracks and improvise/add to them. That can be fun for
> practising and getting to know other musicians from all over the world.
>
> Platforms which claim to allow 'collaborative composition' exist, although I
> never tried them.
Reaper (which runs on Linux but is not FLOSS) has such a mode.

Re: Best collaboration software...

rosea.grammostola

On 4/3/20 9:43 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> I'm sure there are many other workflows and related
> platforms/software... :-)

On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
software (Kxstudio for instance).

Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.

Fax, Telephone, E-mail, Nextcloud, Mattermost, Jitsi meet, Riot/Matrix...

[1] https://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/Non%20Session%20Manager

[2]
https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2

[3] ardour.org

Re: Best collaboration software...

Giso Grimm
On 03.04.20 10:27, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> On 4/3/20 9:43 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>> I'm sure there are many other workflows and related
>> platforms/software... :-)
>
> On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
> saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
> session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
> software (Kxstudio for instance).
>
> Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.

last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
channels. On both ends we have a rather good internet connection.

For camera streaming we used a self-hosted jitsi server.

-- Giso

> Fax, Telephone, E-mail, Nextcloud, Mattermost, Jitsi meet, Riot/Matrix...
>

> [1] https://non.tuxfamily.org/wiki/Non%20Session%20Manager
>
> [2]
> https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2
>

> [3] ardour.org

Re: Best collaboration software...

Will Godfrey
On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 11:38:02 +0200
Giso Grimm <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 03.04.20 10:27, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>
>> On 4/3/20 9:43 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>>> I'm sure there are many other workflows and related
>>> platforms/software... :-)
>>
>> On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
>> saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
>> session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
>> software (Kxstudio for instance).
>>
>> Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.
>
>last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
>audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
>round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
>which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
>settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
>channels. On both ends we have a rather good internet connection.

Interesting and rather impressive!

I have a suggestion. Have one person sending a 'host' track to the other
players, with an agreed pattern of 'slots' each player would solo. The players
hear both the host track and their own work, but only send back their overlay.

These incoming tracks are recorded by the host separately, who can then make
individual latency adjustments to get them all in sync.

It does of course miss out on the immediacy of a real jam session.

On 4/3/20 11:38 AM, Giso Grimm wrote:

>> On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
>> saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
>> session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
>> software (Kxstudio for instance).
>>
>> Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.
> last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
> audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
> round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
> which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
> settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
> channels.
The manpage of zita-njbridge says it is for local network afaik

Re: Best collaboration software...

Sam Mulvey

On 4/4/20 1:57 AM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
channels.
The manpage of zita-njbridge says it is for local network afaik

Might as well mention that I'm using Mumble and uMurmur with opus as a temporary STL for a radio station and getting fairly good latency.   1.3.0 has built in jack support.

-Sam

Re: Best collaboration software...

Bent Bisballe Nyeng
On 04/03/20 11:52, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Apr 2020 11:38:02 +0200
> Giso Grimm <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
>>> saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
>>> session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
>>> software (Kxstudio for instance).
>>>
>>> Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.
>>
>> last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
>> audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
>> round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
>> which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
>> settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
>> channels. On both ends we have a rather good internet connection.
>
> Interesting and rather impressive!
>
> I have a suggestion. Have one person sending a 'host' track to the other
> players, with an agreed pattern of 'slots' each player would solo. The players
> hear both the host track and their own work, but only send back their overlay.
>
> These incoming tracks are recorded by the host separately, who can then make
> individual latency adjustments to get them all in sync.
>
> It does of course miss out on the immediacy of a real jam session.

I can highly recommend Jamulus for online jamming sessions.
It is Qt based ui, cross-platform, open source and the linux backend is
implemented with jack.
Audio is transported with the opus codec with very high quality and down
to 5ms latency.
Jack buffer size of 128 is working the best and make sure to have direct
monitoring of your own end so you do not have the latency on you own
instrument - which is really annoying. And also make sure to set up a
talk-back microphone to get the optimal experience. it does come with a
chat interface but nothing beats being able to talk to each other
between songs.

I have set up a local server and played with my own band in that way and
it worked almost as good as being in the rehearsal room with them.
A bonus is that the server can capture all the seperate streams in wav
files and chain them together in a reaper session file (I know, not
Ardour :( ... but at least it is there) so you can do a rough mix of the
session afterward.

Cheers // Bent

On 03.04.20 11:38, Giso Grimm wrote:

> On 03.04.20 10:27, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>
>> On 4/3/20 9:43 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>>> I'm sure there are many other workflows and related
>>> platforms/software... :-)
>>
>> On GNU/Linux is it worth to mention that the Non-Session-Manager [1]
>> saves all your settings in one folder, which makes it more easy to share
>> session between Linuxmusicians, might help when you use the same
>> software (Kxstudio for instance).
>>
>> Netjack [2] comes to mind. Ardour [3] is crossplatform.
>
> last week we successfully tried zita-njbridge to get a high quality
> audio link between Norway and Germany. No audible dropouts, however, the
> round trip latency without the sound cards 72 ms (measured with jdelay),
> which was too much for a satisfactory jam session. We used the default
> settings of zita-njbridge, no buffer tweaking, 24 bits/sample, 2
> channels. On both ends we have a rather good internet connection.

For our early music ensemble we developed this project further into a
headless remote collaboration/rehearsal box. With this setup we can now
achieve latencies (mic to headphone) in the order of 40-70ms, depending
on the network latency. I uploaded a small description and all until now
unpublished code here:

https://github.com/gisogrimm/ovbox

(work in progress, we use it almost every day)

-- Giso