Complete Linux Audio System

Folderol
I would like to buy (yes I did say buy) a reasonably complete Linux
based music development/recording system. I really don't have either
the time or skills to build this up myself, I barely have enough
free time for my real interest - music.

I've tried Rosegarden and like it very much so I guess this would be
the heart of the system. It seems to be very popular. Beyond that, well
does anyone know of a company or individual that puts these systems
together?

I think this has been mentioned before, but don't know if any real
results were obtained.

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Cesare Marilungo
Folderol wrote:

>I would like to buy (yes I did say buy) a reasonably complete Linux
>based music development/recording system. I really don't have either
>the time or skills to build this up myself, I barely have enough
>free time for my real interest - music.
>
>I've tried Rosegarden and like it very much so I guess this would be
>the heart of the system. It seems to be very popular. Beyond that, well
>does anyone know of a company or individual that puts these systems
>together?
>
>I think this has been mentioned before, but don't know if any real
>results were obtained.

http://www.linuxaudiosystems.com/

c.
www.cesaremarilungo.com

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Forest Bond
> I would like to buy (yes I did say buy) a reasonably complete Linux
> based music development/recording system. I really don't have either
> the time or skills to build this up myself, I barely have enough
> free time for my real interest - music.
>
> I've tried Rosegarden and like it very much so I guess this would be
> the heart of the system. It seems to be very popular. Beyond that, well
> does anyone know of a company or individual that puts these systems
> together?

http://www.ferventsoftware.co.uk

A bootable/installable CD based on Knoppix, put together by the core
Rosegarden developers.  It "just works" (for the most part)...Knoppix is
a hassle to make changes to (it's basically a partially broken version
of Debian), but Studio To Go! works like a charm.

-Forest

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Christoph Eckert-2

> A bootable/installable CD based on Knoppix, put together by the core
> Rosegarden developers.  It "just works" (for the most part)...Knoppix
> is a hassle to make changes to (it's basically a partially broken
> version of Debian), but Studio To Go! works like a charm.

Just for clarification: if you use Linux because it is free software,
you'll not be happy with the non-free parts of Studio to go.

Best regards

ce

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

fsmith
HI
Yes I would recommend Studio to go for your particular needs.
You could try studio64 as well if your thinking 64bit.
Cheers
Bob

Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
>
>> I would like to buy (yes I did say buy) a reasonably complete Linux
>> based music development/recording system. I really don't have either
>> the time or skills to build this up myself, I barely have enough
>> free time for my real interest - music.
>>
>> I've tried Rosegarden and like it very much so I guess this would be
>> the heart of the system. It seems to be very popular. Beyond that, well
>> does anyone know of a company or individual that puts these systems
>> together?
>>
>> I think this has been mentioned before, but don't know if any real
>> results were obtained.
>>

> http://www.linuxaudiosystems.com/
>
> c.
> www.cesaremarilungo.com

Sorry,
I thought he was looking for a custom tailored hardware solution.

c.

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Hartmut Noack

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Carlo Capocasa
Hi there!

Thank you for your interest, I can help. I've got a rather solid
lightweight desktop working for myself and I'd be thrilled to make a
custom version for you. You are invited to contact me directly so we can
find out what exactly is relevant for you now, what your future needs
will be, and make a schedule (shouldn't take much more than a couple
weeks to get things set up). As for price my guess is something around
$3500, including high-end sound card.

I'd love to hear from you! My name's Carlo, I'm 23 from Switzerland, and
here's my email address: [hidden email]

Have a great time!

Carlo

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Folderol
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:27:49 +0000
studio64 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI
> Yes I would recommend Studio to go for your particular needs.
> You could try studio64 as well if your thinking 64bit.
> Cheers
> Bob
>

> Forest Bond wrote:
>
> >>I would like to buy (yes I did say buy) a reasonably complete Linux
> >>based music development/recording system. I really don't have either
> >>the time or skills to build this up myself, I barely have enough
> >>free time for my real interest - music.
> >>
> >>I've tried Rosegarden and like it very much so I guess this would be
> >>the heart of the system. It seems to be very popular. Beyond that, well
> >>does anyone know of a company or individual that puts these systems
> >>together?
> >>

> >http://www.ferventsoftware.co.uk
> >
> >A bootable/installable CD based on Knoppix, put together by the core
> >Rosegarden developers.  It "just works" (for the most part)...Knoppix is
> >a hassle to make changes to (it's basically a partially broken version
> >of Debian), but Studio To Go! works like a charm.
> >
> >-Forest

I have thought about this, but it is the whole package I need. Hardware
& Software.

My current system has on-board graphics & sound and is OK for a bit of
document work or Internet use but quite inadequate for much else.
Rosegarden by itself takes up 50% processor bandwidth just running 11
tracks. Added to this I have an ailing CD ROM drive so there is little
point in trying to patch this up.

I really want to get a system that will serve me for a considerable
time. I'm OK about upgrades and addittions, but starting from scratch
is way beyond me.

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Folderol
On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 20:09:44 +0100
Cesare Marilungo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Folderol wrote:
>
> >I would like to buy (yes I did say buy) a reasonably complete Linux
> >based music development/recording system. I really don't have either
> >the time or skills to build this up myself, I barely have enough
> >free time for my real interest - music.
> >
> >I've tried Rosegarden and like it very much so I guess this would be
> >the heart of the system. It seems to be very popular. Beyond that, well
> >does anyone know of a company or individual that puts these systems
> >together?
> >
> >I think this has been mentioned before, but don't know if any real
> >results were obtained.
> >

> http://www.linuxaudiosystems.com/
>
> c.
> www.cesaremarilungo.com

I had a look at this site but there seems to be very little information
on it. Is this a new company starting up?

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Folderol
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:44:08 +0100
Hartmut Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i intend to build such a box until June this year - so it could be ready
> for shipping in November at best... (if one takes care for stuff like
> guaranty, professional support etc.) I got a kind of a Prototype running
> which i am about to optimize for Musicians (that is: writing and
> integrating helperapplets / scripts / templates and tutorials etc.)
>
> I really do *not* think, that any to-be-installed CD-Distribution can
> really do perfectly well - Hardware is simply too diverse to make sure,
> that a CD-INstall does not leads to ruin - let alone works as good as a
> set of Programms, that are compiled and configured by someone with some
> experience/knowledge on a box that is build out of parts that are chosen
> for being 100% Linuxproof.
>
> If you prefer to invest money to save time/effort i gravely recommend to
> by a complete preconfigured Box
> BTW: why not something 2nd hand - a box with some scratches but with
> proven virtues ;-)

I would be very interested to hear how you get on with this.

Cost is not a major issue for me, although I obviously don't want to
spend any more than I need to. Quality, reliability & flexibility are
my chief concerns.

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

> > http://www.linuxaudiosystems.com/
> >
> > c.
> > www.cesaremarilungo.com
>
> I had a look at this site but there seems to be very little information
> on it. Is this a new company starting up?

err, not exactly. "we" are the "company" that wrote Ardour, developed
the initial version of JACK, wrote device drivers for the RME Hammerfall
and HDSP devices, etc, etc.

at one point, selling complete systems was a planned strategy for
raising money to support software development. at this point in time,
its not something i'm tremendously interested in doing, most because
Fernando has done such a great job with PlanetCCRMA that its hardly
worth paying me to do what i would do.

i'd still be willing to build you a system or configure hardware that
you ship to me, for an extra US$400 on top of the h/w cost. slightly
more information at http://ardour.org/money.php.

one of these days, i'd really better put some time into that website.

--p

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Chris Cannam-2
On Saturday 07 Jan 2006 23:27, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > A bootable/installable CD based on Knoppix, put together by the
> > core Rosegarden developers.  It "just works" (for the most
> > part)...Knoppix is a hassle to make changes to (it's basically a
> > partially broken version of Debian), but Studio To Go! works like a
> > charm.
>
> Just for clarification: if you use Linux because it is free software,
> you'll not be happy with the non-free parts of Studio to go.

Studio to Go includes non-free documentation, tutorials etc, provided
under default copyright -- just the same as a traditional book.  The
only non-free binaries are a couple of example VST plugins, the VSTSDK
header code, and the uploadable firmware for some pieces of hardware.
There is no end-user license agreement.

Whether you think that is reasonable or not is up to you -- if you
don't, that's fine.  But given that you care about free software, and
specifically about free software music applications for Linux, it's not
unreasonable to care that the development of that software can be
funded somehow.  Studio to Go is nowhere near a complete answer to that
problem, but it is an honest attempt.  I don't believe it's any more
contentious in this respect than Paul Davis's former plan to sell a
non-free Ardour manual would have been.

(disclosure: I am a Rosegarden developer and one of the people behind
Studio to Go.)

Chris

Re: Complete Linux Audio System

Christoph Eckert-2
Hi Chris,

thanks for the clarifying words.

> Studio to Go includes non-free documentation, tutorials etc, provided
> under default copyright -- just the same as a traditional book.  The
> only non-free binaries are a couple of example VST plugins, the
> VSTSDK header code, and the uploadable firmware for some pieces of
> hardware. There is no end-user license agreement.

A question: I never tried it out myself, but AFAIR there are a lot fo
scripts which glue all the free software together. Is this right and if
so, are the scripts free software or not?

Best regards

ce