Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

12

Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

David Baron
Still cannot get this to play. Kernel boots up fine loading of any alsa fails
with a bunch of undefined symbols. I am using neither udev nor devfs (no
longer in kernel)--based on an old knoppix hdinstall, upgraded to Debian Sid.

Kernels through 2.6.11 worked fine. 2.6.12 --mpu401 fails, 2.6.14 alsa audio
fails. Fun.

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Laura Conrad

    DB> Still cannot get this to play. Kernel boots up fine loading of
    DB> any alsa fails with a bunch of undefined symbols. I am using
    DB> neither udev nor devfs (no longer in kernel)--based on an old
    DB> knoppix hdinstall, upgraded to Debian Sid.

    DB> Kernels through 2.6.11 worked fine. 2.6.12 --mpu401 fails,
    DB> 2.6.14 alsa audio fails. Fun.

That's very similar to my system, and I was pleasantly surprised that
installing 2.6.14 "just worked".  I had to run alsaconf, and then I
had audio with all the exact same problems I'd had with 2.6.12.  I
haven't had hardware MIDI working since 2.4 or maybe even 2.2, and I
haven't tested recording recently, but playing works fine.

If you need to compare your setup to mine, feel free to ask.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Lee Revell
On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 16:18 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> Still cannot get this to play. Kernel boots up fine loading of any alsa fails
> with a bunch of undefined symbols. I am using neither udev nor devfs (no
> longer in kernel)--based on an old knoppix hdinstall, upgraded to Debian Sid.
>
> Kernels through 2.6.11 worked fine. 2.6.12 --mpu401 fails, 2.6.14 alsa audio
> fails. Fun.

The unresolved synbols almost certainly mean that you compiled ALSA
incorrectly.  This could include building against the wrong kernel
sources or with a different compiler than was used for the kernel,
failing to unload all the old ALSA modules before loading the new ones,
trying to load ALSA modules when ALSA is already build into the kernel,
trying to install an old ALSA with a newer kernel, etc.

Please post these errors you see or we can't help.  Also what soundcard
driver and ALSA version are you using?

Lee

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 10:00 -0500, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     DB> Still cannot get this to play. Kernel boots up fine loading of
>     DB> any alsa fails with a bunch of undefined symbols. I am using
>     DB> neither udev nor devfs (no longer in kernel)--based on an old
>     DB> knoppix hdinstall, upgraded to Debian Sid.
>
>     DB> Kernels through 2.6.11 worked fine. 2.6.12 --mpu401 fails,
>     DB> 2.6.14 alsa audio fails. Fun.
>
> That's very similar to my system, and I was pleasantly surprised that
> installing 2.6.14 "just worked".  I had to run alsaconf, and then I
> had audio with all the exact same problems I'd had with 2.6.12.  I
> haven't had hardware MIDI working since 2.4 or maybe even 2.2, and I
> haven't tested recording recently, but playing works fine.
>
> If you need to compare your setup to mine, feel free to ask.

What soundcard driver are you using?  What exactly do you mean by
"hardware midi doesn't work".

Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.

Lee

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Ismael Valladolid Torres-3
Lee Revell escribe:

> On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 16:18 +0200, David Baron wrote:
> > Still cannot get this to play. Kernel boots up fine loading of any alsa fails
> > with a bunch of undefined symbols. I am using neither udev nor devfs (no
> > longer in kernel)--based on an old knoppix hdinstall, upgraded to Debian Sid.
> >
> > Kernels through 2.6.11 worked fine. 2.6.12 --mpu401 fails, 2.6.14 alsa audio
> > fails. Fun.
> >

> The unresolved synbols almost certainly mean that you compiled ALSA
> incorrectly.  This could include building against the wrong kernel
> sources or with a different compiler than was used for the kernel,
> failing to unload all the old ALSA modules before loading the new ones,
> trying to load ALSA modules when ALSA is already build into the kernel,
> trying to install an old ALSA with a newer kernel, etc.

Just for the records, ALSA runs nice on sarge here running 2.6.14. If
running sid, well, things often break on sid, don't blame the kernel
necesairly.

Cordially, Ismael
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Tim Hall-8
On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:

> >     DB> Still cannot get this to play. Kernel boots up fine loading of
> >     DB> any alsa fails with a bunch of undefined symbols. I am using
> >     DB> neither udev nor devfs (no longer in kernel)--based on an old
> >     DB> knoppix hdinstall, upgraded to Debian Sid.
> >
> >     DB> Kernels through 2.6.11 worked fine. 2.6.12 --mpu401 fails,
> >     DB> 2.6.14 alsa audio fails. Fun.
> >
> > That's very similar to my system, and I was pleasantly surprised that
> > installing 2.6.14 "just worked".  I had to run alsaconf, and then I
> > had audio with all the exact same problems I'd had with 2.6.12.  I
> > haven't had hardware MIDI working since 2.4 or maybe even 2.2, and I
> > haven't tested recording recently, but playing works fine.
> >
> > If you need to compare your setup to mine, feel free to ask.
>
> What soundcard driver are you using?  What exactly do you mean by
> "hardware midi doesn't work".
>
> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.

I have always found it necessary to add
snd-seq-midi
to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.

I find
http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
to be a useful source of diagnostic info (you can always snip the modprobe
conf section). I suspect most posters to this list aren't intending to make
formal bug reports, however, if we make a habit of including this
information in a familiar format it makes it easier for everyone to zero in
on each particular case and may provide useful incidental information.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Laura Conrad

    th> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:

    >> What soundcard driver are you using?  What exactly do you mean by
    >> "hardware midi doesn't work".

emu10k1

    >> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.

    th> I have always found it necessary to add
    th> snd-seq-midi
    th> to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.

I have that.  As far as I know, all the modules are loaded correctly,
and when I say "pmidi -l", I get:

 Port     Client name                       Port name
 62:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
 64:0     EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)            EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
 65:0     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 0
 65:1     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 1
 65:2     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 2
 65:3     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 3

But when I say "pmidi -p 65:0 score.midi", it looks like it's trying
to play, but I don't hear any sound.  ("timidity score.midi" plays
fine, and I've used asfxload to load a soundfont.)

It may well be a mixer problem, but I've unmuted and raised the volume
on everything that looks at all plausible.

    th> I find
    th> http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
    th> to be a useful source of diagnostic info (you can always snip the modprobe
    th> conf section). I suspect most posters to this list aren't intending to make
    th> formal bug reports,

I certainly wasn't; I was just trying to qualify "just worked" appropriately.

    th> however, if we make a habit of including this information in a
    th> familiar format it makes it easier for everyone to zero in on
    th> each particular case and may provide useful incidental
    th> information.

amixer.out (11K) Download Attachment
sendaadebug.out (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Laura Conrad

    th> I find http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug to be a useful source
    th> of diagnostic info (you can always snip the modprobe conf
    th> section). I suspect most posters to this list aren't intending
    th> to make formal bug reports, however, if we make a habit of
    th> including this information in a familiar format it makes it
    th> easier for everyone to zero in on each particular case and may
    th> provide useful incidental information.

One reason it doesn't look like people do that very often is that it's
real easy to run over the list limit when you attach a couple of files
of debugging output.  Would it maybe make sense to up that limit a
bit?

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

Re: Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Tim Howard
Hello,
   I'm having exactly the same problem with my emu10k1 (SBLive 5.1)
sound card.  All the MIDI programs I try seem to _think_ they're
working... but still no sound!  (Other audio works fine, though.)  I
have used the SuSE and Fedora distros, but same thing.
   Any other ideas?

> Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 15:38:40 -0500
> From: Laura Conrad <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems
> To: A list for linux audio users <[hidden email]>

>     th> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:
>
>     >> What soundcard driver are you using?  What exactly do you mean by
>     >> "hardware midi doesn't work".
>
> emu10k1
>
>     >>
>     >> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.
>
>     th> I have always found it necessary to add
>     th> snd-seq-midi
>     th> to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.
>
> I have that.  As far as I know, all the modules are loaded correctly,
> and when I say "pmidi -l", I get:
>
>  Port     Client name                       Port name
>  62:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
>  64:0     EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)            EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>  65:0     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 0
>  65:1     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 1
>  65:2     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 2
>  65:3     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 3
>
> But when I say "pmidi -p 65:0 score.midi", it looks like it's trying
> to play, but I don't hear any sound.  ("timidity score.midi" plays
> fine, and I've used asfxload to load a soundfont.)
>
> It may well be a mixer problem, but I've unmuted and raised the volume
> on everything that looks at all plausible.

Re: Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Chris Metzler

>    I'm having exactly the same problem with my emu10k1 (SBLive 5.1)
> sound card.  All the MIDI programs I try seem to _think_ they're
> working... but still no sound!  (Other audio works fine, though.)  I
> have used the SuSE and Fedora distros, but same thing.
>    Any other ideas?

Just to verify:  you loaded a valid soundfont into the wavetable synth,
and you're sure you're sending the MIDI command sequence to the wavetable
synth?

-c

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Tim Hall-8
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:33, Laura Conrad was like:
> One reason it doesn't look like people do that very often is that it's
> real easy to run over the list limit when you attach a couple of files
> of debugging output.  Would it maybe make sense to up that limit a
> bit?

I didn't realise there was a limit on what you can send. :|
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Tim Hall-8
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 20:38, Laura Conrad was like:

> I have that.  As far as I know, all the modules are loaded correctly,
> and when I say "pmidi -l", I get:
>
>  Port     Client name                       Port name
>  62:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
>  64:0     EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)            EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>  65:0     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 0
>  65:1     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 1
>  65:2     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 2
>  65:3     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 3
>
> But when I say "pmidi -p 65:0 score.midi", it looks like it's trying
> to play, but I don't hear any sound.  ("timidity score.midi" plays
> fine, and I've used asfxload to load a soundfont.)
>
> It may well be a mixer problem, but I've unmuted and raised the volume
> on everything that looks at all plausible.

OK, I understand what you mean now. Sorry, I haven't a clue. Looks like MIDI
is configured properly. Today I have the brain of a hyperactive goldfish.
Signing off now.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Laura Conrad

    th> On Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:33, Laura Conrad was like:
    >> One reason it doesn't look like people do that very often is that it's
    >> real easy to run over the list limit when you attach a couple of files
    >> of debugging output.  Would it maybe make sense to up that limit a
    >> bit?

    th> I didn't realise there was a limit on what you can send. :|

Thirty thousand characters.  Which seems low.  The output of aadebug
(without removing the modutils stuff) is 14,000, and the output of
amixer is 9,000.

cmetzler wrote:

> >    I'm having exactly the same problem with my emu10k1 (SBLive 5.1)
> > sound card.  All the MIDI programs I try seem to _think_ they're
> > working... but still no sound!  (Other audio works fine, though.)  I
> > have used the SuSE and Fedora distros, but same thing.
> >    Any other ideas?
>
> Just to verify:  you loaded a valid soundfont into the wavetable synth,
> and you're sure you're sending the MIDI command sequence to the wavetable
> synth?

I have loaded the same soundfont that I use under Windoze, and all the
instruments show up in Rosegarden...  But still no sound.  It's
probably something ridiculously simple, since I'm new to this...  Are
there any utilities to check Midi status, etc. that would be helpful
in troubleshooting this?

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 08:45 -0800, Tim Howard wrote:

> cmetzler wrote:
> > >    I'm having exactly the same problem with my emu10k1 (SBLive 5.1)
> > > sound card.  All the MIDI programs I try seem to _think_ they're
> > > working... but still no sound!  (Other audio works fine, though.)  I
> > > have used the SuSE and Fedora distros, but same thing.
> > >    Any other ideas?
> >
> > Just to verify:  you loaded a valid soundfont into the wavetable synth,
> > and you're sure you're sending the MIDI command sequence to the wavetable
> > synth?
> >

> I have loaded the same soundfont that I use under Windoze, and all the
> instruments show up in Rosegarden...  But still no sound.  It's
> probably something ridiculously simple, since I'm new to this...  Are
> there any utilities to check Midi status, etc. that would be helpful
> in troubleshooting this?

I guess you made sure to raise the "Synth" volume?

What are the contents of /proc/asound/card0/wavetableD1?

Try aplaymidi -p 65:0 file.mid rather than pmidi, pmidi seems to be old
and unmaintained.

Lee

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

nigel henry
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 21:38, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     th> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:
>     >> What soundcard driver are you using?  What exactly do you mean by
>     >> "hardware midi doesn't work".
>
> emu10k1
>
>     >> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are useless.
>
>     th> I have always found it necessary to add
>     th> snd-seq-midi
>     th> to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.
>
> I have that.  As far as I know, all the modules are loaded correctly,
> and when I say "pmidi -l", I get:
>
>  Port     Client name                       Port name
>  62:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
>  64:0     EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)            EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>  65:0     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 0
>  65:1     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 1
>  65:2     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 2
>  65:3     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 3
>
> But when I say "pmidi -p 65:0 score.midi", it looks like it's trying
> to play, but I don't hear any sound.  ("timidity score.midi" plays
> fine, and I've used asfxload to load a soundfont.)
>
> It may well be a mixer problem, but I've unmuted and raised the volume
> on everything that looks at all plausible.

Hi Laura. I may be going down the wrong road here, but it appears you have 2
cards. The one on the MOBO, and the Creative one.

Do you have them both set up to speakers? If so. Are you sure that when you
are getting sound output, thats it's through the Creative card, and not the
onboard one. Please run. cat /proc/asound/cards to see what order your cards
are being loaded, and post it .

Do you have Qjackctl installed (the front end to Jack) ? If not, I'd suggest
installing it, as you can play with a lot of settings. If so. Have a look in
"Settings" and the box marked Interface. Compare the HW # with the card
number for the Creative card from cat /proc/asound/cards. If it is different,
change the HW # to the number of the Creative card, and try the midi again.

I'm clutching at straws here, but did have problems with my USB midi keyboard
being detected as a soundcard, and as the USB starts up early in the boot
process, Alsa was asigning it as the first card. I only work with the one
sound card, an Audigy2 soundblaster, so have no idea on how the 2 card setup
works, but it may be worth looking in Qjackctl, even if it's just to cross
something else off the list.

All the best. Nigel.

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

Laura Conrad

    NH> Hi Laura. I may be going down the wrong road here, but it appears you have 2
    NH> cards. The one on the MOBO, and the Creative one.

    NH> Do you have them both set up to speakers?

No, only on the SBLive.

    NH> If so. Are you sure that when you are getting sound output,
    NH> thats it's through the Creative card, and not the onboard
    NH> one.

When I run Timidity, or other sound apps, it comes out the speakers
attached to the SBLive.

    NH> Please run. cat /proc/asound/cards to see what order your
    NH> cards are being loaded, and post it .

[tmp]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P]
                     SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P] (rev.5, serial:0x80401102) at 0xc000, irq 9
1 [rev21          ]: VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev21
                     VIA 82C686A/B rev21 with AD1881 at 0xd000, irq 9

    NH> Do you have Qjackctl installed (the front end to Jack) ? If not, I'd suggest
    NH> installing it, as you can play with a lot of settings. If so. Have a look in
    NH> "Settings" and the box marked Interface. Compare the HW # with the card
    NH> number for the Creative card from cat /proc/asound/cards.

Both 0.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011

On Thursday 05 January 2006 21:49, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     NH> Hi Laura. I may be going down the wrong road here, but it appears
> you have 2 NH> cards. The one on the MOBO, and the Creative one.
>
>     NH> Do you have them both set up to speakers?
>
> No, only on the SBLive.
>
>     NH> If so. Are you sure that when you are getting sound output,
>     NH> thats it's through the Creative card, and not the onboard
>     NH> one.
>
> When I run Timidity, or other sound apps, it comes out the speakers
> attached to the SBLive.
>
>     NH> Please run. cat /proc/asound/cards to see what order your
>     NH> cards are being loaded, and post it .
>
> [tmp]# cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [Live           ]: EMU10K1 - SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P]
>                      SBLive! Platinum [CT4760P] (rev.5, serial:0x80401102)
> at 0xc000, irq 9 1 [rev21          ]: VIA686A - VIA 82C686A/B rev21
>                      VIA 82C686A/B rev21 with AD1881 at 0xd000, irq 9
>

>     NH> Do you have Qjackctl installed (the front end to Jack) ? If not,
> I'd suggest NH> installing it, as you can play with a lot of settings. If
> so. Have a look in NH> "Settings" and the box marked Interface. Compare the
> HW # with the card NH> number for the Creative card from cat
> /proc/asound/cards.
>
> Both 0.

Hi Laura. Are you using the onboard soundcard? Perhaps you could disable it,
either in the BIOS, or from jumpers on the MOBO as I have done. It might help
to remove potential problems, as I see both cards are using irq9. This may or
may not be causing a problem, but if you just have your Audigy card enabled,
at least you are only dealing with that card. Nigel.

Tim Howard wrote:

>cmetzler wrote:
>>>    I'm having exactly the same problem with my emu10k1 (SBLive 5.1)
>>> sound card.  All the MIDI programs I try seem to _think_ they're
>>> working... but still no sound!  (Other audio works fine, though.)  I
>>> have used the SuSE and Fedora distros, but same thing.
>>>    Any other ideas?
>>
>> Just to verify:  you loaded a valid soundfont into the wavetable synth,
>> and you're sure you're sending the MIDI command sequence to the wavetable
>> synth?
>

> I have loaded the same soundfont that I use under Windoze, and all the
> instruments show up in Rosegarden...  But still no sound.

Hrm.  You've tried other programs to send the MIDI sequence to the
synth (e.g. aplaymidi), right?  (just to make sure that it's not
an issue with Rosegarden)  Alternately, you've successfully played
the MIDI sequence through a softsynth like timidity, right?  (to
point the finger directly at getting the synth working)  I think
I remember reading that you'd done so.  Right?

If so, I'm at a bit of a loss.  I never had any problem getting
this stuff to work.  Once upon a time, about a year and a half ago,
I wrote up a brief HOWTO-ish document for MIDI on Linux, but it's
currently on a disk attached to a machine that won't boot.  The
only other thing I can think of right now:  I believe I remember
reading that you'd played around with all the controls in
alsamixer that seemed relevant; you may want to revisit that
again.  I haven't seen how the emu10k1 looks in recent versions of
alsa/alsamixer, but the volume control for the output of the
wavetable synth used to have the singularly unhelpful title of
"Music" in alsamixer.  You might play around there.  Or perhaps
steal the mixer settings from someone who's got it working, and
see if that helps.

> It's
> probably something ridiculously simple, since I'm new to this...

S'ok.  You're right that it usually is something simple, but it
never seems that way until *after* the problem is solved, when
it's easy to call it that!

-c

Re: Debian 2.6.14 alsa problems

The Other
On Wednesday 04 January 2006 08:38 pm, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     th> On Tuesday 03 January 2006 17:26, Lee Revell was like:
>     >> What soundcard driver are you using?  What exactly do you
>     >> mean by "hardware midi doesn't work".
>
> emu10k1
>
>     >> Please, be specific with these bug reports or they are
>     >> useless.
>
>     th> I have always found it necessary to add
>     th> snd-seq-midi
>     th> to /etc/modules to get MIDI to work on my DeMuDi systems.
>
> I have that.  As far as I know, all the modules are loaded
> correctly, and when I say "pmidi -l", I get:
>
>  Port     Client name                       Port name
>  62:0     Midi Through                      Midi Through Port-0
>  64:0     EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)            EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART)
>  65:0     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 0
>  65:1     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 1
>  65:2     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 2
>  65:3     Emu10k1 WaveTable                 Emu10k1 Port 3
>
> But when I say "pmidi -p 65:0 score.midi", it looks like it's
> trying to play, but I don't hear any sound.  ("timidity score.midi"
> plays fine, and I've used asfxload to load a soundfont.)
>
> It may well be a mixer problem, but I've unmuted and raised the
> volume on everything that looks at all plausible.

Hello Laura,

On the SB Live Analog/Digital Output Jack switch:

Set it On and try to play a midi file.  If no go, then
Set if Off and retry the midi file.

I no longer use a Live! card (blew the card with too hot of recording
levels and replaced it with an Audigy 2), but this switch is crucial
for hearing anything out of your speakers on Creative cards.  For
some people it worked in the On position.  For others it worked in
the Off position.  So try it both ways.

Hope this Helps,
Stephen.
12