Digigram VX222e not seen as card

Sam Mulvey

A radio station I'm working on has a machine with a Digigram VX222e
connected to it.

According to the Digigram site and ALSA, the sound card is supported by
ALSA. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be detected as a sound card.
Reading online, it requires some firmware, but it appears that my system
has the proper firmware installed.

The VX222e is a PCIe card, but it appears to be PCI on the card with a
PCIe to PCI bridge. According to Digigram's support site, they made a
hardware change in March of 2017, and I suspect that this might be the
problem.

I'm guessing it might be as simple enough as an ID match that I need to
add to a module, but I've never worked with the card before, and I'm a
little stuck.

I've posted lspci, dmesg and the like on this page in order to not
clutter up the list:
        https://vis.nu/blog/digigram_vx222e_isn_t_seen_in_arch_linux

Any pointers would be really helpful.   Thanks!

-Sam

Re: Digigram VX222e not seen as card

Chris Caudle
On Wed, August 16, 2017 5:24 pm, Sam Mulvey wrote:
> A radio station I'm working on has a machine with a Digigram VX222e
> connected to it.
>
> According to the Digigram site and ALSA, the sound card is supported by
> ALSA.

Are you sure the PCIe version is supported?
This is all I see in includes/sound/vs_core.h:

/* hardware type */
enum {
        /* VX222 PCI */
        VX_TYPE_BOARD, /* old VX222 PCI */
        VX_TYPE_V2, /* VX222 V2 PCI */
        VX_TYPE_MIC, /* VX222 Mic PCI */
        /* VX-pocket */
        VX_TYPE_VXPOCKET, /* VXpocket V2 */
        VX_TYPE_VXP440, /* VXpocket 440 */
        VX_TYPE_NUMS
};

I cannot find right not the file with the actual PCI device ID values to
compare.
Maybe the PCI portion behind the PCIe bridge appears as a VX222 PCI board.
What is the response when you run sudo insmod snd-vx222 ?

--
Chris Caudle

On 08/16/2017 04:00 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:

> I cannot find right not the file with the actual PCI device ID values to
> compare.
> Maybe the PCI portion behind the PCIe bridge appears as a VX222 PCI board.
> What is the response when you run sudo insmod snd-vx222 ?

The result is no response at all in dmesg, and no new sound cards
appear.   Not sure what else I could check.

Also, I do suspect that it's a PCI card behind a PCIe bridge.   Both the
bridge and the interface identify themselves as "PLX Technology"
devices, and the audio interface is the only device on that bus.

-Sam

Re: Digigram VX222e not seen as card

Paul Davis
lspci(1)

On 08/16/2017 04:51 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> lspci(1)

No change there either.   The 'pcilib: sysfs_read_vpd: read failed:
Input/output error' persists.

-Sam

Re: Digigram VX222e not seen as card

Bengt Gördén-3
Den 2017-08-17 kl. 00:24, skrev Sam Mulvey:

Hi Sam,

> A radio station I'm working on has a machine with a Digigram VX222e
> connected to it.
>
> According to the Digigram site and ALSA, the sound card is supported by

Are you sure? While I don't know the inner workings of Digigram VX222e
it doesn't appear to be supported by the driver.

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Digigram
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-vx222

I can't see that it's supported. Just listed as a card but no driver.

And in vx222.c you have:

static const struct pci_device_id snd_vx222_ids[] = {
        { 0x10b5, 0x9050, 0x1369, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, VX_PCI_VX222_OLD,
},   /* PLX */
        { 0x10b5, 0x9030, 0x1369, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0, VX_PCI_VX222_NEW,
},   /* PLX */
        { 0, }
};

This doesn't include 10b5:9056

Anyway. To be really sure you should contact Takashi Iwai. He's at SUSE.
tiwai at suse.de

Cheers,

--
/bengan

Re: Digigram VX222e not seen as card

Adam Sampson
Bengt Gördén <[hidden email]> writes:

> vx222.c ... This doesn't include 10b5:9056

I don't think that's the right driver -- see sound/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr.c:

static const struct pci_device_id pcxhr_ids[] = { ...
    { 0x10b5, 0x9056, 0x1369, 0xba21, 0, 0, PCI_ID_VX222E, },

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/sound/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr.c

The different cards in the list all have vendor/device 10b5:9056, but are
distinguished by the subsystem IDs -- your lspci output shows:

        Subsystem: Digigram Device ba41

i.e. it's 1369:ba41, rather than the 1369:ba21 listed for the VX222e. So
perhaps the new version of the card needs different firmware from the
old version (looks likely if they've changed chips - it's a pretty
complex device with a DSP and an FPGA on board!), and it hasn't been
added to the list in the ALSA driver yet. Given Digigram wrote the ALSA
driver, I'd be tempted to ask them...

Cheers,

--
Adam Sampson <[hidden email]>                         <http://offog.org/>

Den 2017-08-17 kl. 14:02, skrev Adam Sampson:
> Bengt Gördén <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> vx222.c ... This doesn't include 10b5:9056
> I don't think that's the right driver -- see sound/pci/pcxhr/pcxhr.c:

Ah. Right you are. Should have done a more thorough search.

--
/bengan