[Eurorack] Expert Sleepers ES-8 USB Interface and Linux?

[Eurorack] Expert Sleepers ES-8 USB Interface and Linux?

Mario Lang
Hi.

Quite a shot into the dark, but: Is anyone here by chance into
eurorack modular and has tried the Expert Sleepers ES-8 USB Interface
with Linux yet?  It claims to be class compliant, but you never know...

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕

Re: [Eurorack] Expert Sleepers ES-8 USB Interface and Linux?

Bill Gribble
I have not tried it, but everything I have read about this device indicates that it should work.  Let me know, I'm considering it too ;)  it should appear as an 16-out, 12-in audio interface (where 8 ins and 8 outs are the ADAT connections).

The ES devices like to use custom signal mangling (basically word packing formats in their digital audio stream) to daisy chain devices at lower bit-depths (ESX-* devices via the ES-5 expansion interface).  You won't be able to use their "silent way" drivers for these expansion devices under Linux so you are limited to audio IO only... you can send/receive CV too, but their expanders are more efficient for multiplexing lower resolution triggers and CVs onto fewer host audio channels.

I started to develop a silentway Jack client and did a chunk of research on the signal mechanics.  I wrote it all up in the README at https://github.com/bgribble/silentway

Thanks,
Bill Gribble