FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
105 messages Options
1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
 
REFERENCE:
http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html

(i just found this!) the developers of noteedit say on their site they
want to end noteedit development because nobody cares about noteedit.
this makes me angry.

on their official page, they are blaming us for this situation. (maybe
they are right, maybe they are wrong.)

NOTEEDIT (which is GPL), THE BEST USER-FRIENDLY SCORE EDITOR FOR
GNU/LINUX (cause that's what it is!), doesn't deserve to be ignored.
what is wrong with us? i wonder why most of us ignore it...

is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome supporters?
is it because we all afford to buy finale and don't need a GPL score
editor?

i really don't understand why we keep on ignoring it. it's a... mystery
to me why almost nobody even mentions it... (maybe they didn't choose a
very memorable name? are you confusing it with an application class
name?) honestly, i would be very sad if the noteedit project was
abandoned!

i am not related to the noteedit project in any way, as i am a newbye to
anything gnu/linux. however, noteedit is one of the reasons for me to
feel comfortable in gnu/linux.

maybe we could do something about it? i don't know... advertizing the
project... promoting it... whatever... or just take a look at it (if
you haven't already) and think for yourself. it may not be *perfect*,
but it's THE BEST we have...

you may want to read this, for further information:
http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html
 
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Hans Fugal-3
On Mon, 19 Dec 2005 at 15:27 +0200, I. I. Ooisen wrote:
>  
> REFERENCE:
> http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html
>
> (i just found this!) the developers of noteedit say on their site they
> want to end noteedit development because nobody cares about noteedit.
> this makes me angry.

What makes you angry? That they want to end development or that they
claim nobody cares about noteedit?

> on their official page, they are blaming us for this situation. (maybe
> they are right, maybe they are wrong.)

Every one of us, including the noteedit authors, has power only over his
or her own actions. If they feel compelled to stop development, that is
their choice. In the end, that's all it comes down to.

> NOTEEDIT (which is GPL), THE BEST USER-FRIENDLY SCORE EDITOR FOR
> GNU/LINUX (cause that's what it is!), doesn't deserve to be ignored.

Nor does it _deserve_ anything else, whether good or evil. It's just a
bunch of bits. Perhaps you'd like to imply that the authors of noteedit
don't deserve to be ignored. This is a much more poignant point, and
it's hard for us developers to accept sometimes, but using our software
is just as voluntary as our creating it.

> what is wrong with us? i wonder why most of us ignore it...

When it comes to software and business, the question is never what is
wrong with the user/customer, but what is wrong with the
software/product/service.
 
> is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome supporters?
> is it because we all afford to buy finale and don't need a GPL score
> editor?
>
> i really don't understand why we keep on ignoring it. it's a... mystery
> to me why almost nobody even mentions it... (maybe they didn't choose a
> very memorable name? are you confusing it with an application class
> name?) honestly, i would be very sad if the noteedit project was
> abandoned!

Or maybe it's not really ignored at all. I'd like to see proof that it
is being ignored, whatever that means.

> i am not related to the noteedit project in any way, as i am a newbye to
> anything gnu/linux. however, noteedit is one of the reasons for me to
> feel comfortable in gnu/linux.
>
> maybe we could do something about it? i don't know... advertizing the
> project... promoting it... whatever... or just take a look at it (if
> you haven't already) and think for yourself. it may not be *perfect*,
> but it's THE BEST we have...

The great part about open source software is that if a project is
abandoned, it can be picked up by somebody else or at least downloaded
in its latest state. It looks like there's a berlios project to carry on
the torch, so that may be happening here. If you want to help, there are
many ways to do so even if you're not a coder (e.g. documentation or web
design or promotion). If you think the best hope is to court the
previous developers with lavish praise or whatever it would take to make
them feel that spending time on noteedit is worth their time, then by
all means go ahead.

I come into this saga in the middle - all I'm going off of is your post
and the website you linked to. I can only give a general observation: in
the OSS world, software is written and software is used. Not all
software written gets used, but everything that gets used can be
maintained by virtue of the open source.

So I just wanted to reassure you on two points: there is no conspiracy
to ignore noteedit, and because noteedit is open source it will continue
to be available and perhaps even continue to improve.

Let's each do something proactive for our favorite project(s) and
refrain from blaming others for our (in)actions.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net
 
There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the
right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.
    -- Johann Sebastian Bach

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Lars Luthman
In reply to this post by I. I. Ooisen
On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 15:27 +0200, I. I. Ooisen wrote:

> (i just found this!) the developers of noteedit say on their site they
> want to end noteedit development because nobody cares about noteedit.
> this makes me angry.
>
> on their official page, they are blaming us for this situation. (maybe
> they are right, maybe they are wrong.)
>
> NOTEEDIT (which is GPL), THE BEST USER-FRIENDLY SCORE EDITOR FOR
> GNU/LINUX (cause that's what it is!), doesn't deserve to be ignored.
> what is wrong with us? i wonder why most of us ignore it...
>
> is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome supporters?
> is it because we all afford to buy finale and don't need a GPL score
> editor?
Do "most of us" actually use score editors? I prefer piano rolls myself,
I can barely read notes.

It sounds a bit silly to stop writing something because it doesn't get
mentioned often enough on LAU. Judging from the forums and the mailing
list archives on the BerliOS page there seem to be some people who are
interested in it.

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.student.nada.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php
Fingerprint: FCA7 C790 19B9 322D EB7A  E1B3 4371 4650 04C7 7E2E

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Brett McCoy
Lars Luthman wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-12-19 at 15:27 +0200, I. I. Ooisen wrote:
>
>>(i just found this!) the developers of noteedit say on their site they
>>want to end noteedit development because nobody cares about noteedit.
>>this makes me angry.
>>
>>on their official page, they are blaming us for this situation. (maybe
>>they are right, maybe they are wrong.)
>>
>>NOTEEDIT (which is GPL), THE BEST USER-FRIENDLY SCORE EDITOR FOR
>>GNU/LINUX (cause that's what it is!), doesn't deserve to be ignored.
>>what is wrong with us? i wonder why most of us ignore it...
>>
>>is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome supporters?
>>is it because we all afford to buy finale and don't need a GPL score
>>editor?

If I recall, this all came about because a (false) rumor was being
spread about Finale being ported to Linux, and this was perceived as a
threat to the future success of NoteEdit.

I doubt it's a KDE issue, either, since Rosegarden (the *other* score
editor) is also a KDE application.

> Do "most of us" actually use score editors? I prefer piano rolls myself,
> I can barely read notes.

I use Rosegarden extensively for score editing.

-- Brett
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Carlos Pino-2
In reply to this post by I. I. Ooisen
I. I. Ooisen wrote:

>
>REFERENCE:
>http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html
>
>(i just found this!) the developers of noteedit say on their site they
>want to end noteedit development because nobody cares about noteedit.
>this makes me angry.
>
>on their official page, they are blaming us for this situation. (maybe
>they are right, maybe they are wrong.)
>
>NOTEEDIT (which is GPL), THE BEST USER-FRIENDLY SCORE EDITOR FOR
>GNU/LINUX (cause that's what it is!), doesn't deserve to be ignored.
>what is wrong with us? i wonder why most of us ignore it...
>
>is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome supporters?
>is it because we all afford to buy finale and don't need a GPL score
>editor?
>
>i really don't understand why we keep on ignoring it. it's a... mystery
>to me why almost nobody even mentions it... (maybe they didn't choose a
>very memorable name? are you confusing it with an application class
>name?) honestly, i would be very sad if the noteedit project was
>abandoned!
>
>i am not related to the noteedit project in any way, as i am a newbye to
>anything gnu/linux. however, noteedit is one of the reasons for me to
>feel comfortable in gnu/linux.
>
>maybe we could do something about it? i don't know... advertizing the
>project... promoting it... whatever... or just take a look at it (if
>you haven't already) and think for yourself. it may not be *perfect*,
>but it's THE BEST we have...
>
>you may want to read this, for further information:
>http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html
>
>__________________________________________________
>Do You Yahoo!?
>Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
>http://mail.yahoo.com 
>
>
>  
>
   Hi.
    Sad news,I find noteedit a very good aplication.
    I'm not a good music reader nor writer,but when i need it Is faster
for me to write by hand.i have never use Finale nor other music writing app.
   Last night I was playing with it and trying to find the way to have a
"normal" view (for me) of the score.Im accustomed to the real book,and I
like to write my scores  in that way,simple melody line and chords
over,each line divided in four bars,to have a clear preview of what I'm
writing and  reading,but have not succes.This is not the first time I
find  this issue,and probably the main cause,between others with no
direct relationship with noteedit,that made me reject the use and more
extensive test of the program.
     Wish Noteedit keep live ,growing and improve his features.

 
    Excuse my english.

  Saludos
     
  --Carlos.
 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Rob Kudla-2
In reply to this post by I. I. Ooisen
On Mon December 19 2005 08:27, I. I. Ooisen wrote:
> is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome
> supporters?

I actually never tried it because I thought it was some
command-line-based thing that output TeX files or some similar
1980's-era thing, and I'd have to use some random tla2ps program
to get useful output from it.  But maybe I had it confused with
Lilypond.

> is it because we all afford to buy finale and
> don't need a GPL score editor?

For my very limited scoring needs, Rosegarden is enough.  But I
just didn't know Noteedit was as capable as you say it is.

Rob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Dave Phillips
In reply to this post by I. I. Ooisen
I. I. Ooisen wrote:

>
>REFERENCE:
>http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html
>
>(i just found this!) the developers of noteedit say on their site they
>want to end noteedit development because nobody cares about noteedit.
>this makes me angry.
>
>on their official page, they are blaming us for this situation. (maybe
>they are right, maybe they are wrong.)
>  
>
While I can appreciate your concern you should know that NoteEdit
version 2.8.0 rc1 was released on June 4 of this year. If you click on
the BerliOS link a little further down on the page you linked you'll
find that NE development has indeed been continued.

The page you linked to is no longer the official page and this is old
news, sorry. The original author felt that NE hadn't received sufficient
attention from the community, and his assertion that there was a Linux
Finale on the way was unfounded. Nevertheless he decided to discontinue
his involvement with its development. Thankfully it has been continued
by other developers.

I agree that it's a fine application. As to who else uses it, I don't know.

I don't work with notation much these days, but I found that NE had a
transparent interface and many useful features. I've been writing a
series of articles for the Linux Journal on music notation software for
Linux, NE will be profiled in the next installment, along with LilyPond.

Best,

dp



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Hans Fugal-3
On Monday 19 December 2005 23:22, Hans Fugal wrote:

> Nor does it _deserve_ anything else, whether good or evil. It's just
> a bunch of bits. Perhaps you'd like to imply that the authors of
> noteedit don't deserve to be ignored. This is a much more poignant
> point, and it's hard for us developers to accept sometimes, but using
> our software is just as voluntary as our creating it.

i don't care about the authors of noteedit, and i don't even (want to
ever) know who they are.

all i care is that NOTEEDIT is ignored. and what makes me angry is that
the reason is... ignorance of what noteedit actually does.

> When it comes to software and business, the question is never what is
> wrong with the user/customer, but what is wrong with the
> software/product/service.

very much agreed.

> Or maybe it's not really ignored at all. I'd like to see proof that
> it is being ignored, whatever that means.

it *is* ignored. but, hey, if i think better, i realise that any music
notation software is ignored (proportionally) just as much. not even
finale is as popular as it "should" be.

> If you think the
> best hope is to court the previous developers with lavish praise or
> whatever it would take to make them feel that spending time on
> noteedit is worth their time, then by all means go ahead.

as i said, i have no idea who they were and i don't care about
"creators", but only about their "creation". i hate any type of
personality cult, and this certainly includes britney spears, john paul
ii, linus torvalds, and (please don't kill me!) even g. bush jr... ;)

> So I just wanted to reassure you on two points: there is no
> conspiracy to ignore noteedit, and because noteedit is open source it
> will continue to be available and perhaps even continue to improve.

well, i surely hope you're right, because i *love* NOTEEDIT :) -- and
thanks.

> Let's each do something proactive for our favorite project(s) and
> refrain from blaming others for our (in)actions.

why, i was *surely* not blaming! i was just expressing amazement
combined with frustration. as i am not a coder, i thought talking about
noteedit was the right (proactive) thing i could do.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Brett McCoy
On Monday 19 December 2005 23:39, Brett McCoy wrote:

> I doubt it's a KDE issue, either, since Rosegarden (the *other* score
> editor) is also a KDE application.

rosegarden is not a score editor and will *hopefully* never be. remember
each tool has some specific purposes. score editing is not what
rosegarden is supposed to do.

i hate combos. and perhaps all gnu/linuxists should. :)

rosegarden should deal best with the way music sounds, not with the way
music looks.

> I use Rosegarden extensively for score editing.

have you tried noteedit?

> -- Brett
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Carlos Pino-2

>     I'm not a good music reader nor writer,but when i need it Is
> faster for me to write by hand.

why, do you write it in adobe? :D))


> Last night I was playing with it and trying to
> find the way to have a "normal" view (for me) of the score.Im
> accustomed to the real book,and I like to write my scores  in that
> way,simple melody line and chords over,each line divided in four
> bars,to have a clear preview of what I'm writing and  reading,but
> have not succes.This is not the first time I find  this issue,and
> probably the main cause,between others with no direct relationship
> with noteedit,that made me reject the use and more extensive test of
> the program.

finale has a reputation for having (at least in its first versions) the
most idiotic, un-intuitive, and frustrating interface in the history of
software. believe me.

don't compare noteedit with finale. they are conceived differently.
noteedit is more like "nwc" ("noteworthy composer") for windows, which
is a much friendlier design.

just try noteworthy composer (for windows, not gpl), and you'll see what
i mean. then try NOTEEDIT.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Rob Kudla-2

> I actually never tried it because I thought it was some
> command-line-based thing that output TeX files or some similar
> 1980's-era thing, and I'd have to use some random tla2ps program
> to get useful output from it.  But maybe I had it confused with
> Lilypond.

right, noteedit has nothing to do with command-line apps.

> For my very limited scoring needs, Rosegarden is enough.  But I
> just didn't know Noteedit was as capable as you say it is.

if you know noteworthy composer (for windows), then you almost know how
noteedit looks.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Rob Kudla-2

> I actually never tried it because I thought it was some
> command-line-based thing that output TeX files or some similar
> 1980's-era thing, and I'd have to use some random tla2ps program
> to get useful output from it.

i forgot to mention one more thing: this is what i mean by NOTEEDIT
being ignored: many people are not informed what it really is or does.
and very few people don't recommend NOTEEDIT to the newbyes.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Dave Phillips

> I don't work with notation much these days, but I found that NE had a
> transparent interface and many useful features. I've been writing a
> series of articles for the Linux Journal on music notation software
> for Linux, NE will be profiled in the next installment, along with
> LilyPond.

maybe you shouldn't mention them together, as it seems this creates
confusion. (somebody expressed it earlier in the thread.)

i suppose people need to know that noteedit is user friendly and gui. or
maybe you could emphasize this.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Sean Edwards
In reply to this post by Dave Phillips
This may be anti-open, but here it goes.  I think if
you want to copyright a piece of music in the U.S.A,
it needs to be in standard music notation.  This
requirement may be a Library of Congress requirement,
but I am not sure.

Anyway, if you want to publish and protect a MIDI
piano-roll composed piece of music, you need some way
of converting it to standard notation and printing it
out.  It doesn't get much easier than importing a MIDI
file into noteedit!

And for those of us who are not proficient with a MIDI
keyboard, transcribing a piece of music from paper to
noteedit and then exporting it to MIDI is a great
starting point for learning music and songs.

The best thing about noteedit is that you don't need
Rosegarden+Lilypond to run it.

-=cybersean3000=-

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Lars Luthman

> Do "most of us" actually use score editors? I prefer piano rolls
> myself, I can barely read notes.

i am pretty much sure composers read notes. then maybe linux-audio-user
is not the right list for composers.

> It sounds a bit silly to stop writing something because it doesn't
> get mentioned often enough on LAU.

yes, it does sound silly. i am sure they actually want to attract
attention on them. let's make fun of them. (i am only half ironic, as i
also half agree with you.)

> Judging from the forums and the
> mailing list archives on the BerliOS page there seem to be some
> people who are interested in it.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Noah Roberts
In reply to this post by I. I. Ooisen
On 12/19/05, I. I. Ooisen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome supporters?

localhost mp3 # emerge -pv noteedit

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kde-env-3-r4  0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/arts-3.4.3  +alsa -arts -artswrappersuid
-debug +esd -hardened +jack -kdeenablefinal +mp3 -nas +vorbis
-xinerama 922 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/tse3-0.2.7  +alsa -arts -oss 589 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.4.3  +alsa -arts +cups -debug -doc
-jpeg2k -kdeenablefinal -kerberos -openexr +spell +ssl +tiff -xinerama
-zeroconf 16,482 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/taglib-1.4  -debug 715 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/libkcddb-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
(-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 5,366 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves-3.4.3  -arts -debug
+encode +flac -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) +mp3 +vorbis -xinerama 0
kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins-3.4.3  -arts
-debug -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -theora +vorbis -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data-3.4.3  -arts
-debug -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kmid-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
(-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kmix-3.4.3  +alsa -arts -debug
-kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/mpeglib-3.4.1  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
(-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 5,417 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kscd-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
(-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-meta-3.4.3  -arts +xine 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-sound/noteedit-2.6.2  -arts -debug
-kdeenablefinal -xinerama 1,817 kB

Total size of downloads: 31,312 kB


I have to admit that is definately a point against it.  Even with
emerge I'm not that interested in adding all that crap to my system
right now.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Brett McCoy
In reply to this post by Sean Edwards
Sean Edwards wrote:
> This may be anti-open, but here it goes.  I think if
> you want to copyright a piece of music in the U.S.A,
> it needs to be in standard music notation.  This
> requirement may be a Library of Congress requirement,
> but I am not sure.

Not sure what you mean, but copyrighting music does not require it to be
in standard notation, AFAIK. If you mean 'publishing' music, I don't
think standard notation is required either -- a book of guitar tablature
is considered published music, which is why online tablature sites are
still getting harassed by the music publishing industry.

And IIRC, only melodies and lyrics can be copyrighted -- harmonies and
song titles can't.  (Hmmmm... what about counterpoint? Does that cont as
harmony or melody in the view of copyright laws?)

-- Brett
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen
In reply to this post by Noah Roberts
On Tuesday 20 December 2005 07:55, Noah Roberts wrote:

> On 12/19/05, I. I. Ooisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome
> > supporters?
>
> localhost mp3 # emerge -pv noteedit
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kde-env-3-r4  0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/arts-3.4.3  +alsa -arts -artswrappersuid
> -debug +esd -hardened +jack -kdeenablefinal +mp3 -nas +vorbis
> -xinerama 922 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-libs/tse3-0.2.7  +alsa -arts -oss 589 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.4.3  +alsa -arts +cups -debug -doc
> -jpeg2k -kdeenablefinal -kerberos -openexr +spell +ssl +tiff
> -xinerama -zeroconf 16,482 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-libs/taglib-1.4  -debug 715 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/libkcddb-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 5,366 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves-3.4.3  -arts -debug
> +encode +flac -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) +mp3 +vorbis -xinerama 0
> kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins-3.4.3  -arts
> -debug -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -theora +vorbis -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data-3.4.3  -arts
> -debug -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kmid-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kmix-3.4.3  +alsa -arts -debug
> -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/mpeglib-3.4.1  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 5,417 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kscd-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-meta-3.4.3  -arts +xine 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-sound/noteedit-2.6.2  -arts -debug
> -kdeenablefinal -xinerama 1,817 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 31,312 kB
>
>
> I have to admit that is definately a point against it.  Even with
> emerge I'm not that interested in adding all that crap to my system
> right now.


so it's just as i was supposing, it's mostly because it's a kde
application...

but hey, if you install rosegarden, you don't have to install all that
crap to your system. not because of noteedit, that is ;)
(which makes your "point against [noteedit]" pretty much irrelevant)

or you don't use rosegarden either?
(which pretty much makes *you* irrelevant to the LAU list) (just
teasing, really!) :D

sorry for the way i *had* to put it, i actually just liked the word
play... heh...


NOW SERIOUSLY:

the way i see it packed under portage is a point against GENTOO, not
against NOTEEDIT. really!

i didn't have to apt-get kappfinder in order to use noteedit or anything
like kdemultimedia (also kmid, or kmix, or arts, or mpeglib, or kscd?!?
-- GENTOO REALLY SCARES ME HERE... I HAD BETTER OPINIONS ON IT!)

(and yes, i *know* what i am talking about; of kde, debian uses *only*
kdelibs, which is a nice way debian deals with kde apps.)

maybe you should switch to debian? ;)
don't get me wrong on this, i myself very much appreciate the gentoo
project... i am even planning to try it...

but i am not sure i'll try it anymore... the way you imply gentoo deals
with kde apps kills all my enthusiasm about gentoo... i know kde is
bloatware, but the way you imply gentoo deals with it makes it...
scareware.
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Carlos Pino-2
In reply to this post by I. I. Ooisen
I. I. Ooisen wrote:

>>    I'm not a good music reader nor writer,but when i need it Is
>>faster for me to write by hand.
>>    
>>
>
>why, do you write it in adobe? :D))
>
>
>  
>
 Sorry my english is too much poor to understand this,I mean paper and  
pencil :\

>>Last night I was playing with it and trying to
>>find the way to have a "normal" view (for me) of the score.Im
>>accustomed to the real book,and I like to write my scores  in that
>>way,simple melody line and chords over,each line divided in four
>>bars,to have a clear preview of what I'm writing and  reading,but
>>have not succes.This is not the first time I find  this issue,and
>>probably the main cause,between others with no direct relationship
>>with noteedit,that made me reject the use and more extensive test of
>>the program.
>>    
>>
>
>finale has a reputation for having (at least in its first versions) the
>most idiotic, un-intuitive, and frustrating interface in the history of
>software. believe me.
>  
>
  I believe you,I don't know Finale.

>don't compare noteedit with finale.
>
 I didn't,I only name it in my post because  here,  
http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html 
 that is in the open post  of this thread , is named as part of the
reason of the discontinuation of the project.

> they are conceived differently.
>noteedit is more like "nwc" ("noteworthy composer") for windows, which
>is a much friendlier design.
>  
>
    Don't know  nwc,neither.Does it have the feature to see  the sheet
as a "normal" paper,and not one line only?

>just try noteworthy composer (for windows, not gpl), and you'll see what
>i mean. then try NOTEEDIT.
>  
>

    Ok, goin to be difficult  presently as  I don't use windows
anymore,but if I got the chance,I will.
   

  Saludos
 
  --Carlos.
   

   
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen

>
>     Don't know  nwc,neither.Does it have the feature to see  the
> sheet as a "normal" paper,and not one line only?

yes, it nwc does (not easy to find that feature, though)
:)
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com 

1234 ... 6