Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Fokke de Jong
Hi Guys,

I’m trying to set up a minimal audio system (without X11) based on the ubuntu mini-iso.

When trying to start jack, i get this dbus error message:

sudo /usr/bin/jackd -p512 -dalsa -r48000 -p64 -n2 -D -Chw:MADIFXtest -Phw:MADIFXtest
jackdmp 1.9.10
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
no message buffer overruns
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

Audio device hw:MADIFXtest cannot be acquired...
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server

I’ve seen others mention the error but have not really found a solution. I guess part of the problem is that I’m not really sure what the error means :-)
So if anyone could be so kind to enlighten me?

cheers,
Fokke

Re: Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Hanspeter Portner
On 14.02.2017 16:39, Fokke de Jong wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I’m trying to set up a minimal audio system (without X11) based on the ubuntu mini-iso.
>
> When trying to start jack, i get this dbus error message:

No X11 -> No DBus

Some distributions offer additional JACK2 packages without DBus. JACK1 should
always work on a headless system.
tom

On Tue, February 14, 2017 16:39, Fokke de Jong wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>

> I’m trying to set up a minimal audio system (without X11) based on the
> ubuntu mini-iso.
>
> When trying to start jack, i get this dbus error message:

> sudo /usr/bin/jackd -p512 -dalsa -r48000 -p64 -n2 -D -Chw:MADIFXtest
> -Phw:MADIFXtest
> jackdmp 1.9.10 Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY This is free software, and you
> are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions; see the file
> COPYING for details
> no message buffer overruns no message buffer overruns no message buffer
> overruns JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to
> autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
>
> Audio device hw:MADIFXtest cannot be acquired...
> Cannot initialize driver
> JackServer::Open failed with -1
> Failed to open server
>

> I’ve seen others mention the error but have not really found a
> solution. I guess part of the problem is that I’m not really sure what
> the error means :-) So if anyone could be so kind to enlighten me?

Hi Fokke,

you might need to compile JACK without support for dbus, there is a
configure option.

Greetings
Thomas

On Tue, 14 Feb 2017, Hanspeter Portner wrote:

> On 14.02.2017 16:39, Fokke de Jong wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> I’m trying to set up a minimal audio system (without X11) based on the ubuntu mini-iso.
>>
>> When trying to start jack, i get this dbus error message:
>
> No X11 -> No DBus

Not true. I have done
dbus-launch screen
and used screen as my text only session manager with success. jack_control
was able to start jackdbus, pulse was able to run and bridge to jack on a
headless system. (it has been a while, I stopped because the system I was
using was too memory strapped) Any of the terminals in the same screen
instance will be able to communicate with any other.

So it is possible. It does mean learning more about your system... at a
system level. There is also a startjack script out there that sort of
hacks around this problem, but it does not leave dbus usable for anything
else. (I can't find it right now)

Re: Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Simon van der Veldt
Hi Fokke,

If you just want Jack and don't have a need for dbus either disable dbus support in Jack2, see https://github.com/jackaudio/jack2/blob/a96111a7a3bed8a0bacd1af64748c652defb5a5e/wscript#L403 or use jack1.

Simon

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Ralf Mattes

Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017 18:58 CET, Len Ovens <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> > No X11 -> No DBus
>
> Not true. I have done
> dbus-launch screen
> and used screen as my text only session manager with success. jack_control
> was able to start jackdbus, pulse was able to run and bridge to jack on a
> headless system. (it has been a while, I stopped because the system I was
> using was too memory strapped) Any of the terminals in the same screen
> instance will be able to communicate with any other.
>
> So it is possible.

Yes, it is possible. But it also shows how little is known about dbus in the
audio comunity (lack of documentation/quality of doxumentaion?).
A naive (?) 'man jackd' won't even mention dbus. Want more ridicule?
'man jackdbus' :
 No manual entry for jackdbus
 See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

 >  It does mean learning more about your system...

Hmm - did you? You suggest using dbus-launch even so the manpage of that program
explicitly says "To start a D-Bus session within a text-mode session, do not use dbus-launch"
and point to dbus-run-session ...

Cheers, Ralf Mattes

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Paul Davis

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Ralf Mattes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, it is possible. But it also shows how little is known about dbus in the
audio comunity (lack of documentation/quality of doxumentaion?).
A naive (?) 'man jackd' won't even mention dbus. Want more ridicule?
'man jackdbus' :
 No manual entry for jackdbus
 See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

the presence of dbus support inside jackd has always been controversial. Jack1 does not (did not?) do this because I disagreed with integrating it directly into the jackd server. Jack2 does have dbus integration built in, but it uses the same manual page on most systems as jack1.

it isn't intended that the user would ever need to be aware of or configure dbus interactions. the use case you're interested in is what we would call an edge case, and there's increasingly less tolerance for spending resources catering to these when there are so many non-edge features and functionality that are required by so many more people.

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Ralf Mattes wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017 18:58 CET, Len Ovens <[hidden email]> schrieb:
>>>
>>> No X11 -> No DBus
>>
>> Not true. I have done
>> dbus-launch screen
>> and used screen as my text only session manager with success. jack_control
>> was able to start jackdbus, pulse was able to run and bridge to jack on a
>> headless system. (it has been a while, I stopped because the system I was
>> using was too memory strapped) Any of the terminals in the same screen
>> instance will be able to communicate with any other.
>>
>> So it is possible.
>
> Yes, it is possible. But it also shows how little is known about dbus in the
> audio comunity (lack of documentation/quality of doxumentaion?).
> A naive (?) 'man jackd' won't even mention dbus. Want more ridicule?
> 'man jackdbus' :
> No manual entry for jackdbus
> See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

I can add more too. The tool for starting jackdbus, jack_control, has no
docs. No man page, -h, --help do not work. running jack_control with no
command gives a usage screen... and as it is a python script, the script
itself is probably the best documentation there is (and still nor great).

> >  It does mean learning more about your system...
>
> Hmm - did you? You suggest using dbus-launch even so the manpage of that program
> explicitly says "To start a D-Bus session within a text-mode session, do not use dbus-launch"
> and point to dbus-run-session ...

Just enough to get things to work (and the experiment failed because I
had only 0.3G ram, not because of dbus). However, having read the two man
pages, I would still use dbus-launch with a text session manager like screen
where I want to share one instance of dbus with a number of processes.

Certainly I am no great sysadmin. I could also use more learning time on
my system, but in general I have a system to use it, not learn about it's
inner workings... So I learn only enough to get things to work, I copy
lots of stuff others have done and ask questions.

One of the biggest problems in linux audio is old information, linux and
the surrounding OS has changed. I should actually try my test setup again
with more memory and try both commands as I have such a box sitting here.

Re: Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Ralf Mardorf-2
On Wed, 15 Feb 2017 07:45:49 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
>One of the biggest problems in linux audio is old information, linux
>and the surrounding OS has changed.

The biggest issue within this problem are wikis with links.

When maintaining a Wiki, with too many links, nobody will check the
content of all links, so we tend to not remove the work of others,
because a link might be useful. Usually we only remove dead links, but
not bad links. IMO the best approach is, wenn editing a Wiki, to avoid
adding links, whenever possible.

Another issue is self-responsibility.

If a good documentation e.g. mentions

/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd/unbind

to unbind USB devices that share an IRQ with an audio interface, it
shouldn't be that hard, to find out that the location changed to

/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci-pci/unbind

A problem could be to notice this or similar issues. At least I don't
check such things all the times when making music. However, it's wise
to not upgrade during a production, so there's no need to check
everything.

IOW when making music, it's not wise to upgrade Ardour, Guitarix etc.,
let alone to upgrade the kernel or something security related. I even
wouldn't risk an openssl heartbleed alike fix, something absolutely
necessarily for a lot of tasks, but completely irrelevant for a DAW.

Btw. I'm a jack2, but jackd and not jackdbus user. Never change a
winning team!

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation

Fokke de Jong
HI Guys,

Thank you for all the info. So I now have several options.

1) recompiling with dbus disabled.
2) use jack1

I think either will work for me, but i’d just like to know. My other system has S11 installed, but when i’m booting into console mode, jack also works fine.
So, does this mean the mere presence of X11 on a system (without actually running it) is enough?

cheers,
Fokke

On Feb 14, 2017, at 23:30 , Simon van der Veldt <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Winfried Ritsch
Hello,

On headless embedded computer with Debian I mostly start jackd (jack2) with
dbus session::

   dbus-run-session jackd -a a -d alsa ...

since I prefer using the debian packages before compiling on those slow
devices.

'man dbus-launch' says:

[...]
To start a D-Bus session within a text-mode session, do not use dbus-launch.
Instead, see dbus-run-session(1).
[...]

I put this in a systemd run script with all the ambidecoder and so on stuff I
need connected.

Any objections to this approach, since I am not really a systemd or dbus guru,
just got it from man pages.

mfg
 winfried

Am Dienstag, 14. Februar 2017, 16:39:30 CET schrieb Fokke de Jong:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I’m trying to set up a minimal audio system (without X11) based on the
> ubuntu mini-iso.
>
> When trying to start jack, i get this dbus error message:

> sudo /usr/bin/jackd -p512 -dalsa -r48000 -p64 -n2 -D -Chw:MADIFXtest
> -Phw:MADIFXtest jackdmp 1.9.10
> Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
> Copyright 2004-2013 Grame.
> jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
> no message buffer overruns
> no message buffer overruns
> no message buffer overruns
> JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
> Failed to connect to session bus for device reservation Unable to autolaunch
> a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
>
> Audio device hw:MADIFXtest cannot be acquired...
> Cannot initialize driver
> JackServer::Open failed with -1
> Failed to open server
>

> I’ve seen others mention the error but have not really found a solution. I
> guess part of the problem is that I’m not really sure what the error means
> :-) So if anyone could be so kind to enlighten me?
>

> cheers,
> Fokke

---- Atelier Algorythmics ----
Winfried Ritsch