Faster boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Will J Godfrey
I'm using rasbian-buster-lite and once up and running the performance is
seriously impressive. However it's dog-slow to start up. The last message I
see before the greatest delay (about 30 seconds) is:

Raspberry Pi service to switch to ondemand cpu governor (unless shift key is pressed) during boot up.

I suspect the *actual* delay is connected with networking, but with systemD I'm
totally lost as to where everything is, so any help would be greatly
appreciated.

On the Pi 3 I'm able to get a devuan image, and that's a doddle to sort out,
but there isn't an image for the Pi 4 :(

Re: Faster boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Jacek Konieczny
On 05/11/2019 23.12, Will Godfrey wrote:
> I suspect the *actual* delay is connected with networking, but with systemD> I'm totally lost as to where everything is, so any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Try 'systemd-analyze  blame' then. And check the journal (journalctl -b0).

Jacek

Re: Faster boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Will J Godfrey
On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 09:25:07 +0100
Jacek Konieczny <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 05/11/2019 23.12, Will Godfrey wrote:
>> I suspect the *actual* delay is connected with networking, but with systemD> I'm totally lost as to where everything is, so any help would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>
>Try 'systemd-analyze  blame' then. And check the journal (journalctl -b0).
>
>Jacek

Thanks. That confirmed it. Now to try and find out how to disable it :(

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.

SOLVED Re: Faster boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Will J Godfrey

Done with:
        systemctl disable dhcpd.service

Total time now is 17 seconds.

Thanks for your help.

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.

Re: SOLVED Re: Faster boot on Raspberry Pi 4

drew Roberts

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 7:19 AM Will J Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

Done with:
        systemctl disable dhcpd.service

Do you now have to set static IPs on any interface you want to use?

I use a good amount of Pi boxes and, even when I set a static on either the eth or wifi interface, I like to have the other of the two able to get an address via dhcp. (This helps with remote troubleshooting.)

Total time now is 17 seconds.

Thanks for your help.
all the best,

drew
--
Enjoy the Paradise Island Cam playing

Re: SOLVED Re: Faster boot on Raspberry Pi 4

Will J Godfrey
On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 10:24:36 -0500
drew Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 7:19 AM Will J Godfrey <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>

>> Done with:
>>         systemctl disable dhcpd.service
>>

>Do you now have to set static IPs on any interface you want to use?
>
>I use a good amount of Pi boxes and, even when I set a static on either the
>eth or wifi interface, I like to have the other of the two able to get an
>address via dhcp. (This helps with remote troubleshooting.)

I haven't checked that - maybe I should, but this unit should never need to go
online again. It's also in a metal box, so no wireless or bluetooth.