Faust plugin GUI

Yassin Philip-2

Hi!

I followed up along the "Plugin Programming with Faust" minilac16 conference/workshop by Albert Gräf, and now my dream percussive "kik" plugin is nearing completion :)

I'm now wondering how to make a nice custom GUI, something sobre and classy with maybe a logo ; I'm using QT5 for the generic GUI as this is what Albert used in his (quite wonderful I must add) workshop, but I'm not set on it.

At the end of the workshop, Albert shows off the "exercise06" plugin (exactly here) and for the first time the UI is not generic but custom, but I can't find the corresponding code anywhere, and believe me I searched :(

Can somebody point me in the right direction?

yPhil

PS - I had to make some adjustments to follow the workshop : 1-the faust-lv2 repo is now at bitbucket and no longer at github like Albert says in the video (this one was easy) and 2-the included *.cpp files errored, so I had to use the ones from the main faust repo.

--
Yassin Philip      New album NOW
http://yassinphilip.bitbucket.io

Re: Faust plugin GUI

Hanspeter Portner
On 14.07.2017 03:47, Yassin Philip wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I followed up along the "Plugin Programming with Faust" minilac16
> conference/workshop <https://youtu.be/T_1Cobmpc5o> by Albert Gräf, and
> now my dream percussive "kik" plugin is nearing completion :)
>
> I'm now wondering how to make a nice custom GUI, something sobre and
> classy with maybe a logo ; I'm using QT5 for the generic GUI as this is
> what Albert used in his (quite wonderful I must add) workshop, but I'm
> not set on it.
>
> At the end of the workshop, Albert shows off the "exercise06" plugin
> (exactly here <https://youtu.be/T_1Cobmpc5o?t=1h18m2s>) and for the
> first time the UI is not generic but custom, but I can't find the
> corresponding code anywhere, and believe me I searched :(
>
> Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Hi

I don't know any FAUST, but I gladly share some links to threads on the
LV2 mailing list reminding developers why they *should not* use any of
the big toolkits (e.g. Qt, Gtk) to author plugin GUIs [1][2]. Should
save you a lot of pain in the long run...

[1]
http://lists.lv2plug.in/htdig.cgi/devel-lv2plug.in/2016-March/001593.html
[2]
http://lists.lv2plug.in/htdig.cgi/devel-lv2plug.in/2017-March/001755.html

> yPhil
>
> PS - I had to make some adjustments to follow the workshop : 1-the
> faust-lv2 repo is now at bitbucket
> <https://bitbucket.org/agraef/faust-lv2> and no longer at github like
> Albert says in the video (this one was easy) and 2-the included *.cpp
> files errored, so I had to use the ones from the main faust repo
> <https://github.com/grame-cncm/faust>.
>
> --
> Yassin Philip      New album NOW
> http://yassinphilip.bitbucket.io

Re: Faust plugin GUI

Yassin Philip-2

Can somebody point me in the right direction?
Hi

I don't know any FAUST, but I gladly share some links to threads on the
LV2 mailing list reminding developers why they *should not* use any of
the big toolkits (e.g. Qt, Gtk) to author plugin GUIs [1][2]. Should
save you a lot of pain in the long run...

[1]
http://lists.lv2plug.in/htdig.cgi/devel-lv2plug.in/2016-March/001593.html
[2]
http://lists.lv2plug.in/htdig.cgi/devel-lv2plug.in/2017-March/001755.html
I hear you, and (in a way) I agree, but then again what is left? Event FLTK doesn't seem to pass the purity test :)

Seriously, my plugin already has a Qt GUI, I'd just like to learn how to control it... I do have two files, lv2ui.cpp and lv2qtgui.h but they look more like library include files ; As far as I know I can even use CSS nowadays to style my Qt app, don't anybody know at which point do that happen?

yPhil

--
Yassin Philip      New album NOW
http://yassinphilip.bitbucket.io

Re: Faust plugin GUI

Yassin Philip-2

If anyone is interested, the CSS for the LV2 Qt plugins generated by faust2lv2 are in /usr/local/include/faust/gui/Styles/ so in this example :

faust2lv2 -gui -style mystyle myplugin.dsp

The files that will be looked for are

/usr/local/include/faust/gui/Styles/mystyle.qrc :

<!DOCTYPE RCC><RCC version="1.0">
<qresource>
<file>Kiplugs.qss</file>
</qresource>
</RCC>

And /usr/local/include/faust/gui/Styles/mystyle.qss (the actual CSS).

yPhil