Favorite way to use Jamin?

Paul Winkler
So far I've only played with Jamin by feeding it with Alsaplayer.
Today I tried for the first time to use it on real work.
I have 3 songs I've exported from ardour (0.99) in float 44.1kHz wav files.
These files seem to be OK - I can load them into Audacity,
play them with sox, etc.  But my first thought - re-import the
mixes into a new Ardour session, put them in sequence, and hook it up to
Jack - failed with the problem I describe here:
http://ardour.org/mantis/view.php?id=1167

So, I thought, I'll just play them with alsaplayer -o jack.  I have
alsaplayer version 0.99.76.  But when I do, alsaplayer loads the files
without complaint (well, mostly; there's some messages like "short_mask
= 0x6" on stdout...) ... the UI indicates that it's playing, and it says
"sndfile supported format" -- but the output is silent!  Could it be a
problem with routing or mixer controls?  Nope, I can hear any other file
I load, but not these mixes.  Weird.

Hey, I know, I'll use Audacity! .... except... it doesn't support jack?
Aargh.  (version 1.2.1)

Any other suggestions?
I guess i could route my session directly from ardour through
jamin but I dooubt my old P3 can handle the load, I'm kinda pushing
the CPU as it is...

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

John Anderson
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 00:48 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:

> So far I've only played with Jamin by feeding it with Alsaplayer.
> Today I tried for the first time to use it on real work.
> I have 3 songs I've exported from ardour (0.99) in float 44.1kHz wav files.
> These files seem to be OK - I can load them into Audacity,
> play them with sox, etc.  But my first thought - re-import the
> mixes into a new Ardour session, put them in sequence, and hook it up to
> Jack - failed with the problem I describe here:
> http://ardour.org/mantis/view.php?id=1167
>
> So, I thought, I'll just play them with alsaplayer -o jack.  I have
> alsaplayer version 0.99.76.  But when I do, alsaplayer loads the files
> without complaint (well, mostly; there's some messages like "short_mask
> = 0x6" on stdout...) ... the UI indicates that it's playing, and it says
> "sndfile supported format" -- but the output is silent!  Could it be a
> problem with routing or mixer controls?  Nope, I can hear any other file
> I load, but not these mixes.  Weird.
>
> Hey, I know, I'll use Audacity! .... except... it doesn't support jack?
> Aargh.  (version 1.2.1)
>
> Any other suggestions?

Somebody was saying they used ecasound to route the source files to
jamin, and then record the output from jamin.

bye
John

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Sylvain Reynal
On Wednesday 21 December 2005 06:48, Paul Winkler wrote:
> Hey, I know, I'll use Audacity! .... except... it doesn't support jack?
> Aargh.  (version 1.2.1)
> Any other suggestions?
Paul,
You may want to try oss2jack in combination with the fusd library
(http://fort.xdas.com/~kor/oss2jack/). This bridges the gap b/w oss and jack
by offering two I/O jack ports that are connected to /dev/dsp. This may sound
like a kind of medieval workaround, but it really did a nice job for me.
Incidentally, I mainly use it for the very purpose you mentioned, that is,
sending audacity's output (/dev/dsp => oss2jack => jack-OSS-emulation-ports)
to jasmin...

syd

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Sampo Savolainen
Quoting Paul Winkler <[hidden email]>:

> So far I've only played with Jamin by feeding it with Alsaplayer.
> Today I tried for the first time to use it on real work.
> I have 3 songs I've exported from ardour (0.99) in float 44.1kHz wav
> files.
> These files seem to be OK - I can load them into Audacity,
> play them with sox, etc.  But my first thought - re-import the
> mixes into a new Ardour session, put them in sequence, and hook it up to
> Jack - failed with the problem I describe here:
> http://ardour.org/mantis/view.php?id=1167

This issue has been fixed. I closed the bug on mantis. You either have to
wait for the 0.99.1 release, 2.0 beta releases or get the current ardour1
CVS from the nightly tarball:

http://www.ardour.org/releases/ardour-cvs.tar.bz2

 Sampo

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Brad Fuller
Paul Winkler wrote:

>So far I've only played with Jamin by feeding it with Alsaplayer.
>Today I tried for the first time to use it on real work.
>I have 3 songs I've exported from ardour (0.99) in float 44.1kHz wav files.
>These files seem to be OK - I can load them into Audacity,
>play them with sox, etc.  But my first thought - re-import the
>mixes into a new Ardour session, put them in sequence, and hook it up to
>Jack - failed with the problem I describe here:
>http://ardour.org/mantis/view.php?id=1167
>
>So, I thought, I'll just play them with alsaplayer -o jack.  I have
>alsaplayer version 0.99.76.  But when I do, alsaplayer loads the files
>without complaint (well, mostly; there's some messages like "short_mask
>= 0x6" on stdout...) ... the UI indicates that it's playing, and it says
>"sndfile supported format" -- but the output is silent!  Could it be a
>problem with routing or mixer controls?  Nope, I can hear any other file
>I load, but not these mixes.  Weird.
>
>Hey, I know, I'll use Audacity! .... except... it doesn't support jack?
>Aargh.  (version 1.2.1)

Audacity supports jack if you compile it in.
There's a bug if you stop play and they start it. There was a patch for
that posted here.. or maybe on Rosegarden list. Can't remember. But,
audacity works with jack.

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Lee Revell
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 17:56 -0800, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Paul Winkler wrote:
>
> >So far I've only played with Jamin by feeding it with Alsaplayer.
> >Today I tried for the first time to use it on real work.
> >I have 3 songs I've exported from ardour (0.99) in float 44.1kHz wav files.
> >These files seem to be OK - I can load them into Audacity,
> >play them with sox, etc.  But my first thought - re-import the
> >mixes into a new Ardour session, put them in sequence, and hook it up to
> >Jack - failed with the problem I describe here:
> >http://ardour.org/mantis/view.php?id=1167
> >
> >So, I thought, I'll just play them with alsaplayer -o jack.  I have
> >alsaplayer version 0.99.76.  But when I do, alsaplayer loads the files
> >without complaint (well, mostly; there's some messages like "short_mask
> >= 0x6" on stdout...) ... the UI indicates that it's playing, and it says
> >"sndfile supported format" -- but the output is silent!  Could it be a
> >problem with routing or mixer controls?  Nope, I can hear any other file
> >I load, but not these mixes.  Weird.
> >
> >Hey, I know, I'll use Audacity! .... except... it doesn't support jack?
> >Aargh.  (version 1.2.1)
> >

> Audacity supports jack if you compile it in.
> There's a bug if you stop play and they start it. There was a patch for
> that posted here.. or maybe on Rosegarden list. Can't remember. But,
> audacity works with jack.

No released version of Audacity supports JACK, last time I checked you
need the CVS version.

Lee

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Sampo Savolainen
Quoting Lee Revell <[hidden email]>:

> No released version of Audacity supports JACK, last time I checked you
> need the CVS version.

As far as I know, Audacity uses portaudio for routing audio to/from
audacity. This means that Audacity will automatically support JACK if it's
compiled against a proper version of portaudio. The problem is that the
current stable release V18.1 doesn't support JACK. So you need to get the
V19 development version.

So yes, Audacity doesn't support JACK. :)
.. But it does use JACK as long as you have built it againsta a
newer-than-stable version of portaudio.

 Sampo

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Jack O'Quin
On 12/20/05, Paul Winkler <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So far I've only played with Jamin by feeding it with Alsaplayer.
> Today I tried for the first time to use it on real work.
> I have 3 songs I've exported from ardour (0.99) in float 44.1kHz wav files.
> These files seem to be OK - I can load them into Audacity,
> play them with sox, etc.  But my first thought - re-import the
> mixes into a new Ardour session, put them in sequence, and hook it up to
> Jack - failed with the problem I describe here:
> http://ardour.org/mantis/view.php?id=1167
>
> So, I thought, I'll just play them with alsaplayer -o jack.  I have
> alsaplayer version 0.99.76.  But when I do, alsaplayer loads the files
> without complaint (well, mostly; there's some messages like "short_mask
> = 0x6" on stdout...) ... the UI indicates that it's playing, and it says
> "sndfile supported format" -- but the output is silent!  Could it be a
> problem with routing or mixer controls?  Nope, I can hear any other file
> I load, but not these mixes.  Weird.

alsaplayer -o jack works reliably for me, I use it all the time.

I generally add the "-d transport/noconnect" option, then use qjackctl
(or the jamin Ports menu) to connect the output ports to jamin.  That
way you can start and stop (but not reposition) alsaplayer using JACK
transport commands.

Is alsaplayer able to play your file without JACK?  Can it play other
files through JACK?
 joq

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Malte Steiner
Can't read your bugreport but I used Jamin with Ardour. I route the
tracks with the 'unremasterd' recordings via jack to Jamin and back to
Ardour to some new innocent tracks for recording the output. Works fine
on my Ubunutu environment.

Cheers,

Malte
--
Malte Steiner
media art + development
-www.block4.com-

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Paul Winkler
On Mon, Dec 26, 2005 at 10:33:14AM -0600, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> On 12/20/05, Paul Winkler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > So, I thought, I'll just play them with alsaplayer -o jack.  I have
> > alsaplayer version 0.99.76.  But when I do, alsaplayer loads the files
> > without complaint (well, mostly; there's some messages like "short_mask
> > = 0x6" on stdout...) ... the UI indicates that it's playing, and it says
> > "sndfile supported format" -- but the output is silent!  Could it be a
> > problem with routing or mixer controls?  Nope, I can hear any other file
> > I load, but not these mixes.  Weird.
>
> alsaplayer -o jack works reliably for me, I use it all the time.
>
> I generally add the "-d transport/noconnect" option, then use qjackctl
> (or the jamin Ports menu) to connect the output ports to jamin.  That
> way you can start and stop (but not reposition) alsaplayer using JACK
> transport commands.
>
> Is alsaplayer able to play your file without JACK?

No. Or rather, it appears to play, but no sound is audible.
Same with JACK.

> Can it play other  files through JACK?

Yes, I said so.

This is clearly not a JACK problem.  Alsaplayer appears to simply not
properly handle the float or 32-bit-integer wav files that I export from
ardour.

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com

Re: Favorite way to use Jamin?

Paul Winkler
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 01:35:20PM +0200, Sampo Savolainen wrote:
> This issue has been fixed. I closed the bug on mantis. You either have to
> wait for the 0.99.1 release, 2.0 beta releases or get the current ardour1
> CVS from the nightly tarball:

Nightly tarball works fine here.
Thanks very much!!!

--