Fedora 25 x86_64; Pulseaudio removed; ALSA recording and playing from multiple sources - JACK?

Fedora 25 x86_64; Pulseaudio removed; ALSA recording and playing from multiple sources - JACK?

Philip Rhoades
People,

For playing from multiple sources, ALSA plus the version of .asoundrc
below has been rock-solid for a couple of years now:

I now want to use things like "recordmydesktop" which work fine with the
mic but they do not record sound from audio or video clips that are
playing eg from YouTube or local mpv etc.  So, yet again, I started to
try and make sense of JACK because I was pretty sure that it could solve
this problem - but I have found sound on linux has always been a major
pain and messing around with configs and rebooting etc on my big
workstation is tedious so I think I will try to get something working on
my laptop to begin with.

Hopefully some jack gurus will have some suggestions about how to do
what I want to do?  I presume it is possible?

Thanks,

Phil.

pcm.!default {
         type plug
         slave.pcm "asymed"
}

# This is the audio output:
pcm.dmixer {
         type dmix
         ipc_key 1024
         slave {
                 pcm "hw:1,0"
                 period_time 0
                 period_size 1024
                 buffer_size 4096
                 rate 44100
         }
         bindings {
                 0 0
                 1 1
         }
}

ctl.dmixer {
         type hw
         card 0
}

# This is the microphone
pcm.dsnooped {
         ipc_key 1027
         type dsnoop
         slave.pcm "hw:1,0"
}

# This makes both channels work together.
pcm.asymed {
         type asym
         playback.pcm "dmixer"
         capture.pcm "dsnooped"
}

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

RESEND: Fedora 25 x86_64; Pulseaudio removed; ALSA recording and playing from multiple sources - JACK?

Philip Rhoades
People,

I didn't get a response to this - can anyone help?

Thanks,

Phil.

--
Philip Rhoades

PO Box 896
Cowra  NSW  2794
Australia
E-mail:  [hidden email]

Re: ?==?utf-8?q? ?==?utf-8?q? RESEND: Fedora 25 x86_64; Pulseaudio removed; ALSA recording and playing from multiple sources - JACK?

Ralf Mattes

Am Dienstag, 19. September 2017 09:48 CEST, Philip Rhoades <[hidden email]> schrieb:

> People,
>
> I didn't get a response to this - can anyone help?

See below.

> On 2017-09-05 14:12, Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > For playing from multiple sources, ALSA plus the version of .asoundrc
> > below has been rock-solid for a couple of years now:
> >
> > I now want to use things like "recordmydesktop" which work fine with
> > the mic but they do not record sound from audio or video clips that
> > are playing eg from YouTube or local mpv etc.  So, yet again, I
> > started to try and make sense of JACK because I was pretty sure that
> > it could solve this problem - but I have found sound on linux has
> > always been a major pain and messing around with configs and rebooting

Sorry, but if you think you need to reboot after configuration changes then you might
need to read up a bit on how things work.

> > etc on my big workstation is tedious so I think I will try to get
> > something working on my laptop to begin with.
> >
> > Hopefully some jack gurus will have some suggestions about how to do
> > what I want to do?  I presume it is possible?

Given your goal, I'd strongly suggest you install cadence (requires jackd2 because
of d-bus) and enable the alsa->jack bridge. You might even want to enable the
pulseaudio->jack bridge. That's three clicks to a working audio setup.

 HTH, Ralf Mattes

Re: RESEND: Fedora 25 x86_64; Pulseaudio removed; ALSA recording and playing from multiple sources - JACK?

Philip Rhoades
Ralf,

On 2017-09-19 17:56, Ralf Mattes wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 19. September 2017 09:48 CEST, Philip Rhoades
> <[hidden email]> schrieb:
>
>> People,
>>
>> I didn't get a response to this - can anyone help?
>
> See below.
>

>> On 2017-09-05 14:12, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> > People,
>> >
>> > For playing from multiple sources, ALSA plus the version of .asoundrc
>> > below has been rock-solid for a couple of years now:
>> >
>> > I now want to use things like "recordmydesktop" which work fine with
>> > the mic but they do not record sound from audio or video clips that
>> > are playing eg from YouTube or local mpv etc.  So, yet again, I
>> > started to try and make sense of JACK because I was pretty sure that
>> > it could solve this problem - but I have found sound on linux has
>> > always been a major pain and messing around with configs and rebooting
>

> Sorry, but if you think you need to reboot after configuration changes
> then you might
> need to read up a bit on how things work.

I have been using Linux since the 0.9 kernels and have hardly used
Windows since NT but I think that in comparison, it is not unreasonable
to describe sound on Linux as having "always been a major pain" and
rebooting sometimes being necessary to get things working again . . even
Windows 95 was relatively painless in this regard . .

>> > etc on my big workstation is tedious so I think I will try to get
>> > something working on my laptop to begin with.
>> >
>> > Hopefully some jack gurus will have some suggestions about how to do
>> > what I want to do?  I presume it is possible?
>

> Given your goal, I'd strongly suggest you install cadence (requires
> jackd2 because
> of d-bus) and enable the alsa->jack bridge.

Thanks - I will check that out.

> You might even want to enable the
> pulseaudio->jack bridge. That's three clicks to a working audio setup.

See Subject: - no PA . .

Regards,

Phil.
--