Fiio USB DAC

dekkzz78
Hi

I have been offered a usb fiio dac and i was thinking

1) compatability with linux?
2) are there better more linux friendly DACs?

whats the concensus here?

Re: Fiio USB DAC

Ralf Mardorf
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:07:36 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>I have been offered a usb fiio dac and i was thinking
>
>1) compatability with linux?

Hi,

google if that device is class compliant.

>2) are there better more linux friendly DACs?

You neither mentioned what product from the usb fiio DACs, nor for what
purpose. However, class compliant audio device are "linux friendly",
those that require a proprietary driver aren't. Regarding the purpose,
maybe to get better output sound quality than provided by the onboard
device, not only the quality of the used DAC is important, much
important is the design of the analog circuit. A cheap device with a
"BASS-OFF-ON"-switch is probably not what you want to use as a decent
headphone amp.

For my taste the headphone amp of my RME HDSPe AIO is very good, while
the two of my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 don't fit to my needs, so I
seriously doubt that I would like one of the fiio DACs, but I might be
mistaken. Consider to read reviews about the DAC and amp chips they are
using. I've seen they advertise by mentioning the DAC and amp chips
for at least some of their products.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: Fiio USB DAC

Michael Jarosch
Am Sonntag, den 08.10.2017, 22:44 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:07:36 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> However, class compliant audio device are "linux friendly",
> those that require a proprietary driver aren't.

And there is, of course, a third category that is not class compliant
and work with free and open drivers. See

http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Main

Unfortunately, not all devices that work with linux are listed there.
Too many manufactures buying cheap stuff and label it with their brand,
you know... But most of that devices should just work out of the box.

Greets!
Mitsch

Re: Fiio USB DAC

dekkzz78
On 10/08, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 21:07:36 +0100, [hidden email] wrote:
>>I have been offered a usb fiio dac and i was thinking
>>
>>1) compatability with linux?
>
>Hi,
>
>google if that device is class compliant.
>
>>2) are there better more linux friendly DACs?
>
>You neither mentioned what product from the usb fiio DACs, nor for what
>purpose. However, class compliant audio device are "linux friendly",
>those that require a proprietary driver aren't. Regarding the purpose,

>maybe to get better output sound quality than provided by the onboard
>device, not only the quality of the used DAC is important, much
>important is the design of the analog circuit. A cheap device with a
>"BASS-OFF-ON"-switch is probably not what you want to use as a decent
>headphone amp.

Correct the laptop is a Thinkpad T61 and i find its output isn't as good as my X32 with its old 32bit chipset.

Although the T61 has an early digital output on it's dock which i might input into my hifi amp as a trial.

>For my taste the headphone amp of my RME HDSPe AIO is very good, while
>the two of my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 don't fit to my needs, so I
>seriously doubt that I would like one of the fiio DACs, but I might be
>mistaken. Consider to read reviews about the DAC and amp chips they are
>using. I've seen they advertise by mentioning the DAC and amp chips
>for at least some of their products.

Thx good advice.