Firewire modules

Len Ovens
Are there very many/any people using firewire devices?

If so is it with the alsa modules or the faddo modules?

My final question being how good are the alsa modules? do they cover most
of the FW devices out there? Or is removing alsa FW mod and using faddo
the way to go?

Re: Firewire modules

Rick Green-2
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019, Len Ovens wrote:

> Are there very many/any people using firewire devices?
>
> If so is it with the alsa modules or the faddo modules?
>
> My final question being how good are the alsa modules? do they cover most of
> the FW devices out there? Or is removing alsa FW mod and using faddo the way
> to go?

  I still have my old (Bebob-based) Focusrite Pro26I/O, which I haven't used at
all for the past four years, and before that, I was running Jack with ffado
backend on Ubuntustudio 12.04, I think.
   About a year ago, I found need to do some testing of an SPDIF device, so I
pulled the old focusrite out and frustrated myself for a few days trying to get
a driver stack, any driver stack, talking to it on Ubuntustudio 18.04.  No joy.
   I should have sold it when I retired it, when there was still working drivers
available...
--
Rick Green

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

  http://www.MoveToAmend.org
Mac

Re: Firewire modules

Mac
I have three Audiofire 12's. Have one permanently rigged in a tri-amp system with zita  utils in my man cave. Haven't used the other two in a while...keeping for backup. 🙄 ...well, that's my story at least.

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 7:40 PM Rick Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 31 Mar 2019, Len Ovens wrote:

> Are there very many/any people using firewire devices?
>
> If so is it with the alsa modules or the faddo modules?
>
> My final question being how good are the alsa modules? do they cover most of
> the FW devices out there? Or is removing alsa FW mod and using faddo the way
> to go?

  I still have my old (Bebob-based) Focusrite Pro26I/O, which I haven't used at
all for the past four years, and before that, I was running Jack with ffado
backend on Ubuntustudio 12.04, I think.
   About a year ago, I found need to do some testing of an SPDIF device, so I
pulled the old focusrite out and frustrated myself for a few days trying to get
a driver stack, any driver stack, talking to it on Ubuntustudio 18.04.  No joy.
   I should have sold it when I retired it, when there was still working drivers
available...
--
Rick Green

We, the People of the United States of America, reject the U.S. Supreme Court's
  Citizens United ruling, and move to amend our Constitution to firmly establish
  that money is not speech, and that human beings, not corporations, are persons
                        entitled to constitutional rights.

                        http://www.MoveToAmend.org

Re: Firewire modules

Moshe Werner
Hey Len,

I used a TC Impact Twin till it broke recently.
ffado and Jack.
Did not try alsa drivers.
Was pretty stable at 128 frames.
Cheers
Moshe

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 12:40 AM Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there very many/any people using firewire devices?

If so is it with the alsa modules or the faddo modules?

My final question being how good are the alsa modules? do they cover most
of the FW devices out there? Or is removing alsa FW mod and using faddo
the way to go?

Re: Firewire modules

David Runge
On March 31, 2019 2:40:19 PM PDT, Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there very many/any people using firewire devices?

If so is it with the alsa modules or the faddo modules?

My final question being how good are the alsa modules? do they cover most
of the FW devices out there? Or is removing alsa FW mod and using faddo
the way to go?

I'm using a RME Fireface 800, which works very reliable with libffado and JACK (e.g. down to 64 samples @48kHz).
I only replaced (nearly all) capacitors quite recently (some on the outputs were fried due to connection to phantom powered ins I assume). In combination with an Expresscard for Firewire800, it's very useful as a mobile setup, too.
I haven't tried, if there's ALSA support for that device (I doubt it). The hardware mixer and settings integration is quite good using ffado, but sadly there's no MIDI :-/

I guess upstream has some documentation on what's currently available in ALSA, but probably the most recent info can be retrieved from the (high traffic) alsa-devel mailing list.

Best,
David
--
https://sleepmap.de