Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

HernanLG

Hi everyone,

This is my first email to this list. Apologies in advance if I break any conventions I am unaware of.

I am a long-time musician, but just getting acquainted with audio in linux. I have a very simple goal of getting sound from a plugged instrument to my computer via a usb-interface, the Cakewalk UA25-EX, which I know works with linux.

So far the instrument's output is received by the interface, and the interface is recognized by the computer. I asked in the ardour forums on how to get ardour to recognize that the input for audio is the usb interface. They suggested I use ALSA instead of jack to connect to Ardour. The interface of Ardour allows me to select the Cakewalk interface as input and output, but when I play the instrument I see that while the interface gets the signal, the audio is not received by Ardour. If I change the input to my laptop's microphone, then I do get a signal. The problem, then, lies in the connection between the interface and Ardour (or the computer?)

I checked the Alsamixer levels and they are not at 0. The advice from the Ardour forum was to contact this mailing list, as I probably need some help checking the connection of the usb interface to the computer.

Thanks in advance

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

Chris Caudle
On Thu, March 22, 2018 5:50 am, Hernán Labbé Grünberg wrote:
> instrument to my computer via a usb-interface, the Cakewalk UA25-EX,
> which I know works with linux.

Did you see that on the Ardour forums someone posted a link to a very good
page specific to that interface?
https://alsa.opensrc.org/Edirol_UA-25EX

It seems that interface has two different modes of operation, basic (USB
audio class 1.0) and advanced (seems to be proprietary, not fully USB
audio 2.0 class compliant), and has hardware controls to set sample rate.

That page also claims that alsamixer cannot control any of the hardware
parameters of the device.  There is output from the CLI version of
alsamixer showing that there are no controllable parameters on the device,
not sure why whatever tool you used did not display a similar message.

What sample rate are you using?  At 96k the device can only operate as
input or output, not both at the same time.  44.1k and 48k support full
duplex (in and out at the same time) at 24 bit sample size.  Basic mode
(usb audio class 1 compliant) supports only 16 bit sample length.

It appears from that page that the best recommendation would be advance
mode and either 44100 or 48000 sample rate.

--
Chris Caudle

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

Manuel Haible
I used to work with the UA-25 ex on Linux and it was flawless in jack and alsa.
 <3 linux audio

As far as I remember, I just installed KXstudio on a fresh Ubuntu http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/index.php
So cool, as there is already lots of good stuff coming with it.
For Jack I worked with QJackcontrol, here you can also do the routing (or with Catarina, Catia or Claudia?).
Make sure, the buffer ok and latency settings are big enough.

It seems that interface has two different modes of operation, basic (USB
audio class 1.0) and advanced (seems to be proprietary, not fully USB
audio 2.0 class compliant), and has hardware controls to set sample rate.

no the contrary, as I remember, advanced mode has to be turned off before connecting or booting.

You can also try Renoise, Bitwig or Pure Data to know if it's a problem of Ardour
(and maybe start them from the terminal for reading errors and you can look into their logfiles, too).

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

MartinF

     I don't have the UA-25 interface, but when I had problems with my card and Ardour, I just used Audacity to test the card, as you can easily select it and also play and record simultaneously, without having to route anything. Once I had it working there, I set it up in Ardour.

Martín.

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

Anders Hellquist
Hi

I have the UA-25 non-ex running at work, both in Ardour via jack and with pulse audio.
No problems

//Anders

fre 23 mars 2018 kl. 01:09 skrev Martín Ferrari <[hidden email]>:

     I don't have the UA-25 interface, but when I had problems with my card and Ardour, I just used Audacity to test the card, as you can easily select it and also play and record simultaneously, without having to route anything. Once I had it working there, I set it up in Ardour.

Martín.

I used to work with the UA-25 ex on Linux and it was flawless in jack and alsa.
 <3 linux audio

As far as I remember, I just installed KXstudio on a fresh Ubuntu http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/index.php
About KXStudio . KXStudio is a collection of applications and plugins for professional audio production. KXStudio provides Debian and Ubuntu compatible repositories ...

So cool, as there is already lots of good stuff coming with it.
For Jack I worked with QJackcontrol, here you can also do the routing (or with Catarina, Catia or Claudia?).
Make sure, the buffer ok and latency settings are big enough.

It seems that interface has two different modes of operation, basic (USB
audio class 1.0) and advanced (seems to be proprietary, not fully USB
audio 2.0 class compliant), and has hardware controls to set sample rate.

no the contrary, as I remember, advanced mode has to be turned off before connecting or booting.

You can also try Renoise, Bitwig or Pure Data to know if it's a problem of Ardour
(and maybe start them from the terminal for reading errors and you can look into their logfiles, too).

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

HernanLG
Chris Caudle wrote
> Did you see that on the Ardour forums someone posted a link to a very good
> page specific to that interface?
> https://alsa.opensrc.org/Edirol_UA-25EX

Thanks. That page has some useful tips, but unfortunately nothing that made
the card work for me.

I am using 44.1K sample rate and have tried with advanced mode ON and OFF
(after plugging the interface off) but so far I am in the same situation.
The interface is recognized by the computer, and it receives the sound from
the instrument, but the audio input from the interface is not reaching the
computer apparently.

Manuel Haible wrote
> I used to work with the UA-25 ex on Linux and it was flawless in jack and
> alsa.
> &nbsp;&lt;3 linux audio
>

> As far as I remember, I just installed KXstudio on a fresh Ubuntu
> http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/index.php

Thanks for the tip. I guess whatever KXstudio have as part of the system I
could also download into mine, right? I would rather avoid changing my
distribution since this is my main laptop, not for music production only.

Manuel Haible wrote
> Make sure, the buffer ok and latency settings are big enough

Sorry for the noob question, but what do you mean by this? Where should I
check those settings? Could that explain why I am not getting sound from the
interface to the computer?

MartinF wrote
> I don't have the UA-25 interface, but when I had problems with my card and
> Ardour, I just used Audacity to test the card, as you can easily select it
> and also play and record simultaneously, without having to route anything.
> Once I had it working there, I set it up in Ardour.

I tried Audacity. It recognizes the card, but the same happens as in Ardour.
No sound gets from the interface to the computer.

I also tried the tips from the ALSA page on this interface. I managed to
hear sound from the interface, so the interface can read sound from the
computer.

I guess what I need to do is some sort of diagnostics where I can find out
what setting is preventing me from getting any sound from the interface to
the computer. Any ideas on how to do this?

Thanks all for the advice and suggestions.

--
Sent from: http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/linux-audio-user-f5.html

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

Jeremy Jongepier
On 03/22/2018 11:50 AM, Hernán Labbé Grünberg wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> This is my first email to this list. Apologies in advance if I break any
> conventions I am unaware of.
>
> I am a long-time musician, but just getting acquainted with audio in
> linux. I have a very simple goal of getting sound from a plugged
> instrument to my computer via a usb-interface, the Cakewalk UA25-EX,
> which I know works with linux.

Does the interface work with another computer or OS? Which input are you
using? Instruments should go into input 2 and if it's a stringed
instrument with a pickup and no preamp the Hi-Z button should be
activated. What kind of instrument are you using it with? Could you test
with something else like a microphone?

> So far the instrument's output is received by the interface, and the
> interface is recognized by the computer. I asked in the ardour forums on
> how to get ardour to recognize that the input for audio is the usb
> interface. They suggested <https://community.ardour.org/node/15577> I
> use ALSA instead of jack to connect to Ardour. The interface of Ardour
> allows me to select the Cakewalk interface as input and output, but when
> I play the instrument I see that while the interface gets the signal,
> the audio is not received by Ardour. If I change the input to my
> laptop's microphone, then I do get a signal. The problem, then, lies in
> the connection between the interface and Ardour (or the computer?)
>
> I checked the Alsamixer levels and they are not at 0. The advice from
> the Ardour forum was to contact this mailing list, as I probably need
> some help checking the connection of the usb interface to the computer.
The interface is recognized by your OS and you can select it in Ardour
or Audacity so I don't think its a connection issue. It sounds more like
a setting on the interface itself. Or a defect but these are very sturdy
devices, I've got an UA-25 that I bought back in like 2005 and it still
works perfectly.

Jeremy

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

HernanLG
Jeremy Jongepier wrote

> Does the interface work with another computer or OS? Which input are you
> using? Instruments should go into input 2 and if it's a stringed
> instrument with a pickup and no preamp the Hi-Z button should be
> activated. What kind of instrument are you using it with? Could you test
> with something else like a microphone?

Yes, the interface worked in the computer of the person I got it from. I am
connecting an electric bass guitar to the input2/R with Hi-Z pushed.
Sensitivity knobs are set to middle, volume to high. Neither the mono nor
the Mon SW buttons are pressed. The input know is set to a little over the
middle. As I said before, I know the interface gets sounds because if I turn
the sensitivity on a lot, I can see the peak light lighting up when playing
the instrument.

I tested with a mic but the same. NO sound is shown on the computer.

Jeremy Jongepier wrote
> It sounds more like a setting on the interface itself.

The settings at the back are:

Sample Rate: 44.1
Advanced mode: off
Phantom: Off
Comp/Limit type: Bypass
Ground Lift: nor
and the usb input has the cable that connects it to the computer.

Any suggestion to figure why I can't record sound are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--
Sent from: http://linux-audio.4202.n7.nabble.com/linux-audio-user-f5.html

Re: Help getting sound from Cakewalk UA-25 EX to Ardour

MartinF

Have you tried taking a look at the files under /proc/asound?

My m-audio card is card1, so I can check its recording status files under the directory /proc/asound/card1/pcm0c/sub0 (ubuntu).
    There, I have the files: hw_params, info, status, sw_params and xrun_injection.
     The file I check is hw_params. It will show whether the card has been opened for recording (or playback), the rate in khz, if it's mono or stereo, etc. If the card is not recording (or playing back), it will show 'closed'.

     I believe the structure of that directory changes depending on the card. For my card, the directory card1/pcm0c is for the recording interface, and pcm0p is for the playback interface, so you will need to figure out where to look.
     Maybe you can check those files and see if there's something you can figure out from there.

Martín.