How can I detect whether JACK or ALSA clients are using an audio gear?

How can I detect whether JACK or ALSA clients are using an audio gear?

crocket
My Raspberry Pi can turn audio gears on and off via relays.
When my desktop starts using its speakers, I want it to tell Raspberry Pi to turn on the speakers via a relay.
When nothing has used the speakers for a minute, I want it to tell Raspberry Pi to turn off the speakers.

I can do the same for a USB microphone. A USB microphone can be turned on and off by uhubctl.

Does ALSA have a callback API that I hook into? Does jack have it?