Is there a linux drum synth?

Oliver Jaun
Hi

I'm looking for a drum synthesizer for linux. There are a lot of "normal" synths but I could not find a drum synth which seems to be maintained. I'm talking about something like the Roland TR-909 (I'm not interested in the sequencing part just the sounds). I know that there are many available sample libraries and I have some samples but I'd like to have a real synth in order to manipulate the sounds exactly as I want.

I know about smack (http://smack.berlios.de/) but it seems not to be maintained anymore. And then I thought drumkv1 (http://drumkv1.sourceforge.net/drumkv1-index.html) is what I need but it seems that it is "only" a sampler and cannot produce sound on its own (or did I get that wrong?). Of course the best thing would be a combinations of both (e.g. Syntesizer for the basedrum and samples for the hihats...).

Thanks and regards
Oliver

Re: Is there a linux drum synth?

Alexandre Prokoudine
On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Oliver Jaun wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a drum synthesizer for linux. There are a lot of "normal"
> synths but I could not find a drum synth which seems to be maintained.

http://deliriumdecrypted.blogspot.ru/2012/11/stegosaurus-lv2-analogue-style.html

I don't think Nick released any code yet, though.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org

Re: Is there a linux drum synth?

Hello Oliver!
   I think ingen or om is what you might look for. As I remember it was mainly
intended for drums. It is based on LADSPA plugins. Not sure, if it supports
samples as well.
   Otherwise you might go modular and take a look at Alsa Modular Synth or PD
or one of the big beasts with the graphical user interfaces. I know, that PD
can look nice and can produce drum sounds - both sampled and modified or
synthesized.
   I hope one of this is helpful to you. Good luck!
   Warm regards
         Julien

Re: Is there a linux drum synth?

Louigi Verona
Look here: http://distrho.sourceforge.net/ports.php
DrumSynth is quite okay.

http://www.louigiverona.ru/

Re: Is there a linux drum synth?

Oliver Jaun
Hi Alexandre

Thanks. Stegosaurus looks really promising! I left a motiviating comment on his blog... so maybe we will see a release soon ;-)

Regards
Oliver

On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Oliver Jaun wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm looking for a drum synthesizer for linux. There are a lot of "normal"
> synths but I could not find a drum synth which seems to be maintained.

http://deliriumdecrypted.blogspot.ru/2012/11/stegosaurus-lv2-analogue-style.html

I don't think Nick released any code yet, though.

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org

Re: Is there a linux drum synth?

Oliver Jaun
Hi Julien

I think smack is also based on om. Ingen seems to be the new "om". But I'm not sure how actively it is maintained. I will have a look at it. But actually I'm looking for something a bit "simpler" where I don't have to learn too much in order to produce a drum sound. But I'm sure ingen is a great synth.
Thanks!
Oliver

Re: Is there a linux drum synth?

Oliver Jaun
Hi Louigi

I've just downloaded it. Looks and sounds very promising! Seems to be the most pragmatic solution for me at the moment.

Thanks!
Oliver

Re: Is there a linux drum synth?

Thorsten Wilms
On 12/29/2012 02:46 PM, Oliver Jaun wrote:

> I think smack is also based on om. Ingen seems to be the new "om". But
> I'm not sure how actively it is maintained.

Yes, Smack was based on Om, a modular synthesis environment. Ingen is
the successor to Om. If we are lucky, Ingen will see a release soon and
finally make the step from brilliant in theory to awesome in practice :)

The Om codebase is as dead as can be and Smack's author pretty much
dropped out of LAU/LAD.

Ingen's author David is interested in porting Smack's patches from Om to
Ingen, but that clearly has no priority.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/