JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac

JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac
Hi,

I have a system running UbuntuStudio 18.04 and I use ffado with jack for my firewire AF12.

When I boot the system and start things up with Qjackctl all is good. (Qjackctl runs a script that starts Calf plugins, zita-lrx, some meters, and connects up a variety of things the the ins/outs that ffado presents. Most notably the output of zita-lrx forming a tri-amp system. The input to zita-lrx coming from the Calf plugins. )

All works fine, as long as I have no occasion to hit the stop button in Qjackctl. It runs another script that shuts down Calf, zita-lrx, and meters.

But, if I attempt to start things again, it says it can't start.

If I kill the ffado-dbus-server, then start ffado mixer (this apparently starts the ffado-dbus-server), then open Qjackctl again it's already running. At this point, if I run the script mentioned above, all is good again.

Does this imply that I'm not shutting down correctly and leaving ffado in some zombie state?

Is there a proper shutdown that won't cause this?

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Susanne Schneider-2
do a "ps -A" in commandline ... think you need to kill jackdbus, too...

> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 15:49:18 -0400
> From: Mac <[hidden email]>
> To: linux-audio-user <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [LAU] JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a system running UbuntuStudio 18.04 and I use ffado with jack for my
> firewire AF12.
>
> When I boot the system and start things up with Qjackctl all is good.
> (Qjackctl runs a script that starts Calf plugins, zita-lrx, some meters,
> and connects up a variety of things the the ins/outs that ffado presents.
> Most notably the output of zita-lrx forming a tri-amp system. The input to
> zita-lrx coming from the Calf plugins. )
>
> All works fine, as long as I have no occasion to hit the stop button in
> Qjackctl. It runs another script that shuts down Calf, zita-lrx, and meters.
>
> But, if I attempt to start things again, it says it can't start.
>
> If I kill the ffado-dbus-server, then start ffado mixer (this apparently
> starts the ffado-dbus-server), then open Qjackctl again it's already
> running. At this point, if I run the script mentioned above, all is good
> again.
>
> Does this imply that I'm not shutting down correctly and leaving ffado in
> some zombie state?
>
> Is there a proper shutdown that won't cause this?

Mac

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac
Just saw the release notice for UbuntuStudio 19.04 and it included the backports of the updated Ubuntu Studio Controls.

So I figured I'd give it a try.

And...it seems to have no difficulty starting/stopping at will. So, obviously it knows something I don't (which is no surprise. ;) )

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 9:33 AM Susanne Schneider <[hidden email]> wrote:
do a "ps -A" in commandline ... think you need to kill jackdbus, too...
> Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 15:49:18 -0400
> From: Mac <[hidden email]>
> To: linux-audio-user <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [LAU] JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a system running UbuntuStudio 18.04 and I use ffado with jack for my
> firewire AF12.
>
> When I boot the system and start things up with Qjackctl all is good.
> (Qjackctl runs a script that starts Calf plugins, zita-lrx, some meters,
> and connects up a variety of things the the ins/outs that ffado presents.
> Most notably the output of zita-lrx forming a tri-amp system. The input to
> zita-lrx coming from the Calf plugins. )
>
> All works fine, as long as I have no occasion to hit the stop button in
> Qjackctl. It runs another script that shuts down Calf, zita-lrx, and meters.
>
> But, if I attempt to start things again, it says it can't start.
>
> If I kill the ffado-dbus-server, then start ffado mixer (this apparently
> starts the ffado-dbus-server), then open Qjackctl again it's already
> running. At this point, if I run the script mentioned above, all is good
> again.
>
> Does this imply that I'm not shutting down correctly and leaving ffado in
> some zombie state?
>
> Is there a proper shutdown that won't cause this?

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Len Ovens
On Thu, 18 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> Just saw the release notice for UbuntuStudio 19.04 and it included the backports
> of the updated Ubuntu Studio Controls.
>
> So I figured I'd give it a try.
>
> And...it seems to have no difficulty starting/stopping at will. So, obviously it
> knows something I don't (which is no surprise. ;) )

It does not use ffado at all but rather the built in ALSA firewire module
stack. This means, do not try to use ffado-mixer, bad things will happen.
Use alsamixer or the qasmixer (which is GUI based) instead.

So far, anyone I have talked to that has had problems with fw devices in
the past few years, since fw was added to ALSA, has had those problems
because they tried to use ffado bits without first removing the alsa bits.

So I am wondering how many people have firewire devices that have found
the alsa drivers for firewire, when used correctly, don't work for them.