JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac

JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac
Len said:
"It does not use ffado at all but rather the built in ALSA firewire module
stack. This means, do not try to use ffado-mixer, bad things will happen.
Use alsamixer or the qasmixer (which is GUI based) instead.

So far, anyone I have talked to that has had problems with fw devices in
the past few years, since fw was added to ALSA, has had those problems
because they tried to use ffado bits without first removing the alsa bits.

So I am wondering how many people have firewire devices that have found
the alsa drivers for firewire, when used correctly, don't work for them."

So, I admit to some confusion...

Until yesterday (when I added the back port) after boot the sound system would show a 12 channel device.
At that point I would start Qjack. It's configuration is set to start ffado with 12 channels.
I then hit start in Qjack and then 12 in/out ports would show in Qjack > Connect.

If I understand your comment, this would be running the alsa stack AND the ffado stack against the
firewire device? (In this case an AF12.)

So, now if I start JACK from the UBS Controls, it is using only the ALSA stack?
And the ports that show up in, say Patchage, are ALSA ports?

So, when I'm doing "pro" audio with UBS I don't need ffado now?
And, if so, how does one, for instance, send firmware updates to a fw device?
(not that I expect to do that with an AF12...they stopped making it. :( )

Mac

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Len Ovens
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> Len said:
>
> "It does not use ffado at all but rather the built in ALSA firewire module
> stack. This means, do not try to use ffado-mixer, bad things will happen.
> Use alsamixer or the qasmixer (which is GUI based) instead.
>
> So, I admit to some confusion...

It is for sure.

> Until yesterday (when I added the back port) after boot the sound system would sh
> ow a 12 channel device.
> At that point I would start Qjack. It's configuration is set to start ffado with
> 12 channels.

I don't know. I don't have a FW device to play with. However, I have been
told that in order to use the ffado modules, the alsa fw modules have to
be unloaded. Rui could answer thaty better than I can for qjackctl it may
be that he checks to see if the ffado devices are available and if not
assumes you mean alsa... or something else.

> If I understand your comment, this would be running the alsa stack AND the ffado
> stack against the firewire device? (In this case an AF12.)

In my understanding that should not be possible. This is one of those
cases where I wish I had one to play with...

> So, now if I start JACK from the UBS Controls, it is using only the ALSA stack?

Yes, it uses -d alsa (actually ds alsa) So it sees your device as an alsa
device.

> And the ports that show up in, say Patchage, are ALSA ports?

No they are jack ports.

> So, when I'm doing "pro" audio with UBS I don't need ffado now?

That is the idea of having alsa drivers.

> And, if so, how does one, for instance, send firmware updates to a fw device?
> (not that I expect to do that with an AF12...they stopped making it. :(   )

Does anyone still provide updates, new devices, support for firewire
devices?