JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac

JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac
Oh, and while alsamixer will allow the selection of the AF12, alsamixer then says the AF12 has no controls.

So, to control the gains and such one has to figure out how to stop the alsa control of the AF12 and then start ffado to make any changes?

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Len Ovens
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> Oh, and while alsamixer will allow the selection of the AF12, alsamixer then says
> the AF12 has no controls.

Ouch!

> So, to control the gains and such one has to figure out how to stop the alsa
> control of the AF12 and then start ffado to make any changes?

That may mean that in your case not using the alsa drivers but using the
ffado drivers may make more sense. Ffado use is hopefully coming to
-controls soon. However, I would suggest that if alsa does not show the
controls available, then the alsa module should have a bug report against
it. Though to be honest, I do not know if the firewire protocol tells the
host what controls it has in the way that other audio devices do.

Anyway, if ffado-mixer actually works for you, I would like to know. I
know of at least one case where ffado-controls does not work with the alsa
fw modules.

Have I said "I don't know" enough?  ;)

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Anders Hellquist
I have some firewire interfaces that I have not used for a while and when I used them ffado was the thing.
If I get some time I could check how alsa supports them.

I have:
Focusrite Pro 40
Focusrite Pro 24 dsp
a few Presonus FP10s (no internal mixer or sw based controls if I remeber correctly)
Fireface 800 (Have not used it)
Presonus Studiolive 16.4.2 (lots of controllers on that one)

Any of theses that are of particular interest ?

/Anders

Den lör 20 apr. 2019 kl 00:18 skrev Len Ovens <[hidden email]>:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> Oh, and while alsamixer will allow the selection of the AF12, alsamixer then says
> the AF12 has no controls.

Ouch!

> So, to control the gains and such one has to figure out how to stop the alsa
> control of the AF12 and then start ffado to make any changes?

That may mean that in your case not using the alsa drivers but using the
ffado drivers may make more sense. Ffado use is hopefully coming to
-controls soon. However, I would suggest that if alsa does not show the
controls available, then the alsa module should have a bug report against
it. Though to be honest, I do not know if the firewire protocol tells the
host what controls it has in the way that other audio devices do.

Anyway, if ffado-mixer actually works for you, I would like to know. I
know of at least one case where ffado-controls does not work with the alsa
fw modules.

Have I said "I don't know" enough?  ;)

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

David Runge
On 2019-04-20 00:51:00 (+0200), Anders Hellquist wrote:
> Fireface 800 (Have not used it)

With current kernels, the Fireface 800 is supported by the ALSA drivers,
but no controls are exposed (through ffado-mixer you get full control
though) and it's also not possible to run it equally well as with FFADO
(e.g. only 512 frames, instead of 64 frames @48kHz).

This at least was my experience on a 5.0.7 Linux kernel, so I had to
blacklist the snd-fireface driver (otherwise you get very weird errors,
if you don't expect it ;-) ).
With no hardmix control and higher latencies, for that device the ALSA
driver doesn't seem to be a great solution (yet). FFADO works great
though.

--
https://sleepmap.de

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Anders Hellquist
Thanks.

That basically means the ff800 is pretty useless without ffado. Controlling the matrix and onboard mixer and the rest of the features are a necessity usually. If the latency is far worse, it is a deal breaker in itself.

/Anders

On 2019-04-20 00:51:00 (+0200), Anders Hellquist wrote:
> Fireface 800 (Have not used it)

With current kernels, the Fireface 800 is supported by the ALSA drivers,
but no controls are exposed (through ffado-mixer you get full control
though) and it's also not possible to run it equally well as with FFADO
(e.g. only 512 frames, instead of 64 frames @48kHz).

This at least was my experience on a 5.0.7 Linux kernel, so I had to
blacklist the snd-fireface driver (otherwise you get very weird errors,
if you don't expect it ;-) ).
With no hardmix control and higher latencies, for that device the ALSA
driver doesn't seem to be a great solution (yet). FFADO works great
though.

--
https://sleepmap.de

Mac

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac
I sent a long email about testing Ubuntu Studios Controls.

Since it got dumped because it was too long thanks to inserting screen captures, I then wrote a fixed version and the subject changed creating broken thread. I'll paraphrase (and I hope this reply is going to the original thread. Sorry.)

Short version:
- Ubuntu Studio Controls doesn't know about ffado.
- I attempted to force things from the command line, but was unsuccessful.
In fact, I'm not sure I can even get Ubuntu Studo Controls to do nothing.
- Ubuntu Studio Controls also has a problem with retaining the selections for bridging, etc. If you check them off, then logout/login or reboot they are back to default (checked). The last time I logged in and started Carla, there were 12 in/out's for the AF12 and 2 captures for the on board sound card...

At first during my messing around I could only get the long form of the port names to show up (i.e. 00148605c4409ac_Unknown_out, 00148605c4409ac_Unknown0_out, etc.) and not human readable names like capture_1, etc. But, something I did is now causing the human readable version to appear...don't what caused this and not sure if it will be there when I boot tomorrow...

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Len Ovens
On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> I sent a long email about testing Ubuntu Studios Controls.
>
> Since it got dumped because it was too long thanks to inserting screen captures,
> I then wrote a fixed version and the subject changed creating broken thread. I'll
> paraphrase (and I hope this reply is going to the original thread. Sorry.)
>
> Short version:
> - Ubuntu Studio Controls doesn't know about ffado.

Yes.

> - I attempted to force things from the command line, but was unsuccessful.
> In fact, I'm not sure I can even get Ubuntu Studo Controls to do nothing.

If jack is stopped, none of the settings have any effect. Bridging can
only happen if jack is running. If jack is stopped, none of the settings
in ubuntustudio-controls have effect. Pulse is running using the system
configuration. Bridging from pulse to jackd will still happen just because
the bridge auto detect is there. In -controls that jackdetection module is
removed so the bridge can be truned off.

> - Ubuntu Studio Controls also has a problem with retaining the selections for
> bridging, etc. If you check them off, then logout/login or reboot they are back
> to default (checked). The last time I logged in and started Carla, there were 12

Did you choose apply after (de)selecting them? (should the apply button be
removed?) Remember that the pulse-jack bridge is enabled by default.

Mac

Re: JACK, Qjackctl, and ffado

Mac

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 12:15 AM Len Ovens <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 21 Apr 2019, Mac wrote:

> - I attempted to force things from the command line, but was unsuccessful.
> In fact, I'm not sure I can even get Ubuntu Studo Controls to do nothing.

If jack is stopped, none of the settings have any effect. Bridging can
only happen if jack is running. If jack is stopped, none of the settings
in ubuntustudio-controls have effect. Pulse is running using the system
configuration. Bridging from pulse to jackd will still happen just because
the bridge auto detect is there. In -controls that jackdetection module is
removed so the bridge can be truned off.

After much experimentation I am able, I think..., to run and setup a jack/ffado session. I think the method is a bit draconian, but here's what I do at this point.

- In Qjackctl I run the following script specified in the Setup>Options>Execute script on Startup
jack_control stop
jack_control ds firewire dps capture none dps playback none
jack_control dps device AF12
jack_control dps rate 48000
jack_control dps nperiods 2
jack_control dps period 1024

- The Qjackctl script specified in Setup>Options>Execute script after Startup then creates all the Calf, zita-lrx, and Pulse in/out nodes.
(Interestingly, the pulse nodes I make are used by, for example audio out from a browser, but, I've not figured out how the system sounds get pointed at the a Pulse device.
Also, pulse volume control still shows the alsa af12. (short of unloading the alsa module this won't go away. And, when the alsa module is unloaded, so goes the system sound slider in pavucontrol. And, when something like Audacity starts, the Pulse ports the script creates get removed and replaced. Then system sounds work.)

A side note, on this PC at least, any audio player, i.e Clementine, Payrole Media Player have audio drop outs during play. A gstreamer issue maybe? Apps like Internet DJ Console and Mixxx that use native JACK output work fine.

> - Ubuntu Studio Controls also has a problem with retaining the selections for
> bridging, etc. If you check them off, then logout/login or reboot they are back
> to default (checked). The last time I logged in and started Carla, there were 12

Did you choose apply after (de)selecting them? (should the apply button be
removed?) Remember that the pulse-jack bridge is enabled by default.

On two different PC's I can find no way to get the Ubuntu Studio Controls to retain my selections.