John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

Massimo Barbieri
Hi,
today we have published the video of another single of John Option: Any.
Of course the song is published under the terms of the Creative Commons
License (CC-BY-SA) and it's completely produced with free software:
Ardour, Hydrogen, Jack, Qsynth, CALF, and many other
great free audio software that we used under Debian GNU/Linux.

Here you can listen the single and see the video (made with kdenlive):

 http://youtu.be/lXbUKeo-PFY

As for the previous songs we have done a little more in the direction of
freedom and we published in our website[1] the single recording tracks
and the complete Ardour session. All this material is published under
the terms of the Creative Commons license Attribution Share alike so
that anyone can use our tracks to produce a remix of our song or even a
new song that have to be published under the same license.

You can find all about our project here: http://johnoption.org

I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love
to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who
listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is the only
fuel for us to continue. And if you like to be updated about our next
release, please subscribe to our YouTube channel or any other social
network you like (see link to our profiles on our website[1]).

Best regards,
Max-B

 1. http://johnoption.org
--
IM: [hidden email] - GnuPG Public Key-Id: 0x5D168FC1

Re: John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

Ffanci Silvain
Massimo Barbieri, Nov 20 2014:

> Hi,
> today we have published the video of another single of John Option: Any.
> I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love
> to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who
> listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is the only
> fuel for us to continue. And if you like to be updated about our next
> release, please subscribe to our YouTube channel or any other social
> network you like (see link to our profiles on our website[1]).
Hey hey,
this is a nice song! The guitars and vocals sound very good! The whole mix is transparent to my ears. Pity, that the harp and the drums sound so cheap. In the full mix - near the end - the harp fits nicely. The drums are programmed too much on time. Perhaps try real drums or pads/keyboard to play them live and only quantise them softly. If possible try a different kit or mix with other sounds with more velocity layered sampling?
It's still very good work! Cheers to your band mates!

> Best regards,
> Max-B
>
> 1. http://johnoption.org
> --
> IM: [hidden email] - GnuPG Public Key-Id: 0x5D168FC1

Ta-ta
----
Ffanci
* Internet: http://freeshell.de/~silvain

Il 20/11/2014 16:05, F. Silvain ha scritto:
> this is a nice song! The guitars and vocals sound very good! The whole
> mix is transparent to my ears. Pity, that the harp and the drums sound
> so cheap. In the full mix - near the end - the harp fits nicely. The
> drums are programmed too much on time. Perhaps try real drums or
> pads/keyboard to play them live and only quantise them softly

Hi,
many thanks for your comment and for your suggestions!
Best regards,
Max-B

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, F. Silvain wrote:

> Massimo Barbieri, Nov 20 2014:
>
>> Hi,
>> today we have published the video of another single of John Option: Any.
>> I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love
>> to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who
>> listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is the only
>> fuel for us to continue. And if you like to be updated about our next
>> release, please subscribe to our YouTube channel or any other social
>> network you like (see link to our profiles on our website[1]).
> this is a nice song! The guitars and vocals sound very good! The whole mix is
> transparent to my ears. Pity, that the harp and the drums sound so cheap. In
> the full mix - near the end - the harp fits nicely. The drums are programmed
> too much on time. Perhaps try real drums or pads/keyboard to play them live
> and only quantise them softly. If possible try a different kit or mix with
> other sounds with more velocity layered sampling?

I had to listen a second time without watching to really hear  :)  Also to
try to see what the above comment was about. Certainly I would not have
recognized the harp as such if not prompted, I thought it was an odd
sounding Uke.. at least mine doesn't sound like that. Anyway, I am not
sure I agree the drums need a lot of change. The music in general is kept
background in the song. That is the bass is subdued in the mix as well and
so I think the drums (whatever their faults) match well with how the other
things are put together. The organ also doesn't try to do anything fancy,
just support what is going on over top. I think this is a valid artistic
decision.

The video is not special. Lots of that style around, probably because it
works and is within the abilities of most people. I think lip sinc could
be a bit better (or it is just u-toob doing it's thing). Video is a lot to
learn and needs pratice. Mine, for what its worth, are not near as good as
this one is. As I say the video works, don't redo it, do look to grow from
it in the next one.

Over all good stuff.

Re: John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:28:40 +0100
Massimo Barbieri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> today we have published the video of another single of John Option: Any.
> Of course the song is published under the terms of the Creative Commons
> License (CC-BY-SA) and it's completely produced with free software:
> Ardour, Hydrogen, Jack, Qsynth, CALF, and many other
> great free audio software that we used under Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> Here you can listen the single and see the video (made with kdenlive):
>
>  http://youtu.be/lXbUKeo-PFY
>
> As for the previous songs we have done a little more in the direction of
> freedom and we published in our website[1] the single recording tracks
> and the complete Ardour session. All this material is published under
> the terms of the Creative Commons license Attribution Share alike so
> that anyone can use our tracks to produce a remix of our song or even a
> new song that have to be published under the same license.
>
> You can find all about our project here: http://johnoption.org
>
> I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love
> to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who
> listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is the only
> fuel for us to continue. And if you like to be updated about our next
> release, please subscribe to our YouTube channel or any other social
> network you like (see link to our profiles on our website[1]).
>
> Best regards,
> Max-B
>
>  1. http://johnoption.org

Very much enjoyed the song, but not keen on the vid. However, that's just a
personal thing. I generally find them to be a distraction from the music.

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014, Len Ovens wrote:

> works and is within the abilities of most people. I think lip sinc could be a
> bit better (or it is just u-toob doing it's thing). Video is a lot to learn

Faster computer (better GPU), gives much better lipsymc.

Re: John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

Set Hallstrom
I like it! The song is great and you guys are so cute in the video! It came as a fresh breeze from the future to me, in the sense that i had to think out loud: "yeah, i'm gonna be fresh like that at their age!!" Not that i am soooooo much younger, but it feels good to know it will still be possible to be relaxed, humble, creative and sincere as a full grown dude :wakamonkey:

I reckon you recorded the video while play-backing to a slowed down version, to synch the audio with speed-up footage? This inspired me to pull down the pitch and tempo by 60% on the track.... sooo gooood! :p (no, im not on codein, just a schoped and screw fan) If i ever get the idea, space and time in synch, i'm gonna screw it doen, chop it up and add some 808-subfluff on it for ya!!!! :D

Keep it rolling!!!!

Re: John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

cbannister
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 05:07:03PM +0000, Will Godfrey wrote:
> Very much enjoyed the song, but not keen on the vid. However, that's just a
> personal thing. I generally find them to be a distraction from the music.

Normally, it's the other way around. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FhYOcf2_5Q

(Bonus at very end.)

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: John Option - Any: new song and new Adrour project

Cool tune - thanks for sharing!

On 11/20/14 3:28 AM, Massimo Barbieri wrote:

> Hi,
> today we have published the video of another single of John Option: Any.
> Of course the song is published under the terms of the Creative Commons
> License (CC-BY-SA) and it's completely produced with free software:
> Ardour, Hydrogen, Jack, Qsynth, CALF, and many other
> great free audio software that we used under Debian GNU/Linux.
>
> Here you can listen the single and see the video (made with kdenlive):
>
>   http://youtu.be/lXbUKeo-PFY
>
> As for the previous songs we have done a little more in the direction of
> freedom and we published in our website[1] the single recording tracks
> and the complete Ardour session. All this material is published under
> the terms of the Creative Commons license Attribution Share alike so
> that anyone can use our tracks to produce a remix of our song or even a
> new song that have to be published under the same license.
>
> You can find all about our project here: http://johnoption.org
>
> I hope that you like our choice of freedom. If you feel like I'd love
> to read your feedback, because the encouragement of the people who
> listen to us and appreciate the philosophy of our project is the only
> fuel for us to continue. And if you like to be updated about our next
> release, please subscribe to our YouTube channel or any other social
> network you like (see link to our profiles on our website[1]).
>
> Best regards,
> Max-B
>
>   1. http://johnoption.org

"My password is the last 8 digits of π."