Linux Music

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Linux Music

Diego Simak-2
New machine, new song, always Linux

As always, live song using:

seq24
yoshimi
hydrogen
calfplugins

P.S.: No, it's not a Blue Monday remix.



_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

Jeanette C.
May 1 2020, Diego Simak has written:
...
> https://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/tm-2020-05-01t125331
This sounds very electro nightclubby. I could imagine the kicks pumping
out a big PA. It also shows a non too often exposed side of Yoshimi. I
think I'd love to hear that in a Berlin underground club. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--
  * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
  * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
  * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
  * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
  * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

Diego Simak-2


El vie., 1 may. 2020 a las 14:02, Jeanette C. (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
May 1 2020, Diego Simak has written:
...
> https://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/tm-2020-05-01t125331
This sounds very electro nightclubby. I could imagine the kicks pumping
out a big PA. It also shows a non too often exposed side of Yoshimi. I
think I'd love to hear that in a Berlin underground club. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--
  * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
  * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
  * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
  * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
  * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)


Hey Jeanette!

Thank you very much for listening.

Yeah, I would love to ear it in a underground club too.

Best wishes,
Diego

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

Louigi Verona
Hey Diego!

Nice tune! I like how the mix starts, but later on it feels like it's either clipping or overcompressed. I would also really mind hihat and percussion levels, a lot of them might sound better if they are quieter, so that the beat feels more together. As a rule, I make hihats really-really quiet, this is one of the major tips of writing techno. Usually you reduce the loudness of the hiahat to 0 and then increase its loudness until you can make it out, but not louder than that.

I would also reduce the lows on most of the elements, by about 1.38 when the claps starts it becomes really crowded. I like the string at 6.20, very clean, but the mix itself is not breathing at this point and feels a bit flat, whereas I want to feel the dynamics and the groove. And what's interesting, the mix itself sound relatively clean, so a bit more dynamics could really make it awesome.

Cheers!





On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:26 PM Diego Simak <[hidden email]> wrote:


El vie., 1 may. 2020 a las 14:02, Jeanette C. (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
May 1 2020, Diego Simak has written:
...
> https://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/tm-2020-05-01t125331
This sounds very electro nightclubby. I could imagine the kicks pumping
out a big PA. It also shows a non too often exposed side of Yoshimi. I
think I'd love to hear that in a Berlin underground club. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--
  * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
  * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
  * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
  * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
  * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)


Hey Jeanette!

Thank you very much for listening.

Yeah, I would love to ear it in a underground club too.

Best wishes,
Diego
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

Diego Simak-2


El vie., 1 de mayo de 2020 19:12, Louigi Verona <[hidden email]> escribió:
Hey Diego!

Nice tune! I like how the mix starts, but later on it feels like it's either clipping or overcompressed. I would also really mind hihat and percussion levels, a lot of them might sound better if they are quieter, so that the beat feels more together. As a rule, I make hihats really-really quiet, this is one of the major tips of writing techno. Usually you reduce the loudness of the hiahat to 0 and then increase its loudness until you can make it out, but not louder than that.

I would also reduce the lows on most of the elements, by about 1.38 when the claps starts it becomes really crowded. I like the string at 6.20, very clean, but the mix itself is not breathing at this point and feels a bit flat, whereas I want to feel the dynamics and the groove. And what's interesting, the mix itself sound relatively clean, so a bit more dynamics could really make it awesome.

Cheers!




Hey Louigi!

Thank You very much for your sugestions.
Yes, I agree it feels overcompressed, I need to adjust some volumen levels.

It was recorded using timemachine with seq24 in live mode, so it needs to be rethought.

I Will take in account your suggestions!

Thank You very much.
Best regards
Diego


On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 11:26 PM Diego Simak <[hidden email]> wrote:


El vie., 1 may. 2020 a las 14:02, Jeanette C. (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
May 1 2020, Diego Simak has written:
...
> https://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/tm-2020-05-01t125331
This sounds very electro nightclubby. I could imagine the kicks pumping
out a big PA. It also shows a non too often exposed side of Yoshimi. I
think I'd love to hear that in a Berlin underground club. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--
  * Website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound
  * Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS4rfGrTwz8W7jhC1Jnv7g
  * SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/jeanette_c
  * Twitter: https://twitter.com/jeanette_c_s
  * Audiobombs: https://www.audiobombs.com/users/jeanette_c
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)


Hey Jeanette!

Thank you very much for listening.

Yeah, I would love to ear it in a underground club too.

Best wishes,
Diego
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

rosea.grammostola
In reply to this post by Diego Simak-2
Hi,

On 5/1/20 6:39 PM, Diego Simak wrote:
> New machine, new song, always Linux
>
> As always, live song using:
Interesting modular setup. Would be nice if you could run such setups in
the non-session-manager if a user likes to work with it.
>
> seq24
There is a fork sequencer64 (will get NSM support I think)
> yoshimi
There is a NSM patch for Yoshimi, ask the developer. Zynaddsubfx has NSM
support
> hydrogen
Hopefully gets NSM support (scheduled for 1.1, hopefully finished earlier)
> calfplugins

Works in Carla, which has NSM support (hopefully Carla-single will
follow soon)

>
> P.S.: No, it's not a Blue Monday remix.
>
> https://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/tm-2020-05-01t125331

Sounds good to me.

Good luck in Berlin (who knows ;) )

\r
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

Diego Simak-2


El sáb., 2 may. 2020 a las 13:11, rosea.grammostola (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
Hi,

On 5/1/20 6:39 PM, Diego Simak wrote:
> New machine, new song, always Linux
>
> As always, live song using:
Interesting modular setup. Would be nice if you could run such setups in
the non-session-manager if a user likes to work with it.

Hello Rosea!

I've tried NSM in the past, currently I'm using scripts to open seq24, yoshimi and everything and connect them using aj-snaphot.

>
> seq24
There is a fork sequencer64 (will get NSM support I think)

Yes I know, actually I have Xubuntu 18.04 with KXstudio repos having seq64... I've tried it but I stick to seq24

> yoshimi
There is a NSM patch for Yoshimi, ask the developer. Zynaddsubfx has NSM
support

I prefer Yoshimi over ZynAddSubFx, for several reasons, midi learn usability, GUI, performance, etc.

> hydrogen
Hopefully gets NSM support (scheduled for 1.1, hopefully finished earlier)
> calfplugins

Works in Carla, which has NSM support (hopefully Carla-single will
follow soon)


Yes, I've tried Carla, it's nice, but I stick to use standalone programs, open it using scripts, and connect them using aj-snapshot
I know there are a lot of things that I cannot do with scripts (audio file managment, undos, etc etc) but now I will keep with my current setup.

>
> P.S.: No, it's not a Blue Monday remix.
>
> https://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/tm-2020-05-01t125331

Sounds good to me.

Good luck in Berlin (who knows ;) )


Thank you very much for your kinds words and your support!


\r
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user

_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

rosea.grammostola


On 5/2/20 8:42 PM, Diego Simak wrote:


I prefer Yoshimi over ZynAddSubFx, for several reasons, midi learn usability, GUI, performance, etc.
I thought there where also quite some development in zynaddsubfx/zynfusion regarding midi learn and stuff.

Yes, I've tried Carla, it's nice, but I stick to use standalone programs,
Carla single should be able to run a LV2 plugin as JACK standalone application (more or less I guess, it's still a plugin I would think). That's why it would be nice if it would support NSM.
open it using scripts, and connect them using aj-snapshot
I know there are a lot of things that I cannot do with scripts (audio file managment, undos, etc etc) but now I will keep with my current setup.

Non-session-manager with jackpatch (saving your jack connections) and maybe nsm-proxy if you need it, could be handy to manage such a sessions of course. But stick to what works for you. Again, good luck and have fun.



_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux Music

Will Godfrey
In reply to this post by Diego Simak-2
On Fri, 1 May 2020 13:39:14 -0300
Diego Simak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>New machine, new song, always Linux
>
>As always, live song using:
>
>seq24
>yoshimi
>hydrogen
>calfplugins
>
>P.S.: No, it's not a Blue Monday remix.
>
>https://soundcloud.com/diegosimak/tm-2020-05-01t125331

Techno is something I'm not really into, but this does work very well.

A few sounds in there I recognise :)

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk
Say you have a poem and I have a tune.
Exchange them and we can both have a poem, a tune, and a song.
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user