Quantcast

Linux guitar amplifier simulator

dahouse
Hey guys,

I just installed Ubuntu with a RT kernel addon and I'm doing my first
forays into the OS. I've been a long time windows user but I figured
I'd change to linux for a new perspective.

On windows, I run a line6 guitar port for my guitar amplification
needs. Unfortunately, the Line6 Linux software project does not
support the Guitar Port. Luckily, I have a Tascam US122 with a HighZ
input that I can plug my guitar into.

I was just wondering what software was available to me for guitar amp
simulation? Is there a guide that explains what to do?

So far, google hasn't very helpful, my searches lead me to a guitar
that's actually being converted into a LINUX GUITAR.

Anyways, thanks
-Chris

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

James Stone-2
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:46:16PM -0500, Christian Delahousse wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I just installed Ubuntu with a RT kernel addon and I'm doing my first
> forays into the OS. I've been a long time windows user but I figured
> I'd change to linux for a new perspective.
>
> On windows, I run a line6 guitar port for my guitar amplification
> needs. Unfortunately, the Line6 Linux software project does not
> support the Guitar Port. Luckily, I have a Tascam US122 with a HighZ
> input that I can plug my guitar into.
>
> I was just wondering what software was available to me for guitar amp
> simulation? Is there a guide that explains what to do?
>
> So far, google hasn't very helpful, my searches lead me to a guitar
> that's actually being converted into a LINUX GUITAR.

There has been some discussion of this on the list fairly
recently. I seem to recall a puredata patch or maybe it was an
AMS patch for guitar distortion/amp simulation. Possibly the
easiest way though is to use something like jack rack, and the
CAPS cabinet plugins maybe with some TAP tubewarmth.. I am
personally using a Behringer v-amp2 though, as it seemed a
simpler solution to the Hi-Z input problems, and adds all the
distortion and cab simulation I need.

James

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Hartmut Noack

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Studio 32

> Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 12:38:33 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Linux guitar amplifier simulator

> Christian Delahousse schrieb:
>

>>> I was just wondering what software was available to me for guitar amp
>>> simulation? Is there a guide that explains what to do?
>
> try this one:
>
> http://lapoc.de/spinoff-amsguitrack.php
>
> its for Alsa Modular Synth, page ist in german only if you need help to
> make it run, I am happy to help  :-)
>
> best regards

Jack-rack is also a possibility....

http://jack-rack.sourceforge.net/
http://offog.org/stuff/racks/

dirk

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Frank Barknecht
Hallo,
James Stone hat gesagt: // James Stone wrote:

> There has been some discussion of this on the list fairly
> recently. I seem to recall a puredata patch or maybe it was an
> AMS patch for guitar distortion/amp simulation.

Miller Puckette has a fairly elaborated Pd patch for playing a guitar:
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Publications/pd07-reprint.dir/
It's not an amp simulation, though.

And then Julius Smith will do a talk on guitar simulation at the LAC
in two weeks: http://lac.linuxaudio.org/?page_id=21 (the paper will be
there for download for LAC)

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht                                     _ ______footils.org__

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Wolfgang Woehl
Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2008 Frank Barknecht:

> Miller Puckette has a fairly elaborated Pd patch for playing a
> guitar: http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Publications/pd07-reprint.dir/
> It's not an amp simulation, though.

Is the patch itself, apart from the paper, available too?
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Woehl hat gesagt: // Wolfgang Woehl wrote:

> Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2008 Frank Barknecht:
>
> > Miller Puckette has a fairly elaborated Pd patch for playing a
> > guitar: http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Publications/pd07-reprint.dir/
> > It's not an amp simulation, though.
>
> Is the patch itself, apart from the paper, available too?

Hm, I don't know where, but you could ask Miller by mail - or visit
the LAC2008 in Köln, where he'll be as well. ;)

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht                                     _ ______footils.org__

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Paul Coccoli
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:46 PM, Christian Delahousse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I was just wondering what software was available to me for guitar amp
>  simulation? Is there a guide that explains what to do?

First, get to know Jack: http://jackaudio.org.  Install it and
QJackCtl (linked to from the Jack page).  Then install jack-rack
(http://jack-rack.sourceforge.net/) and the CAPS LADSPA plugin package
(http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html).  The CAPS site then tells you what
plugins to load in jack-rack:

http://quitte.de/dsp/caps.html#GimmeASetupAlready

Using QJackCtl, connect the capture port your guitar is connected to
to the jack-rack inputs and the jack-rack outputs to the playback
ports corresponding to your hardware outputs.  Then play the main riff
to "Smoke on the Water" over and over again.

There are other hosts you can use, but jack-rack is the simplest.

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Hartmut Noack

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

spacepluk
I'd look into wineasio + Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3.

I know that it's not free and that is expensive... but I think that at this time is the best amp simulation available and runs very well on linux. So think about it as if you were buying a POD but with much better sound.

For the hi-z issue, people with cards that only have line inputs can get a DI-box for 20-30 bucks that will do the job.
Saludosss

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 4:46 AM, Christian Delahousse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey guys,

I just installed Ubuntu with a RT kernel addon and I'm doing my first
forays into the OS. I've been a long time windows user but I figured
I'd change to linux for a new perspective.

On windows, I run a line6 guitar port for my guitar amplification
needs. Unfortunately, the Line6 Linux software project does not
support the Guitar Port. Luckily, I have a Tascam US122 with a HighZ
input that I can plug my guitar into.

I was just wondering what software was available to me for guitar amp
simulation? Is there a guide that explains what to do?

So far, google hasn't very helpful, my searches lead me to a guitar
that's actually being converted into a LINUX GUITAR.

Anyways, thanks
-Chris

Oscar Morante
GPG: CA7417FF

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov.

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Dmitry Baikov
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Oscar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'd look into wineasio + Native Instruments Guitar Rig 3.
>
> I know that it's not free and that is expensive... but I think that at this
> time is the best amp simulation available and runs very well on linux. So
> think about it as if you were buying a POD but with much better sound.

The point aboubt "much better sound" is highly arguable,
and POD will work with any operating system or even without computer at all.

IMHO, if you choose to pay for the sound, it's better to pay for a
hardware device.

Regards,
Dmitry.

P.S. My choice of guitar sound device (portable and suitable for a
small room) is PODxt.

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

Hartmut Noack

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

conrad berhörster

Hello Dimitry,

Am Freitag 15 Februar 2008 16:48:04 schrieb Dmitry Baikov:
> The point aboubt "much better sound" is highly arguable,
> and POD will work with any operating system or even without computer at
> all.
Thats not quite right. If you only want to play the standard  sounds, you can
play the POD without a computer. But  enclosed to the POD, you will find a
software where you can modify the preset and build your cabinets.

BTW. software were written by emagic.

bye c~

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 4:48 PM, Dmitry Baikov <[hidden email]> wrote:
The point aboubt "much better sound" is highly arguable,
and POD will work with any operating system or even without computer at all.

IMHO, if you choose to pay for the sound, it's better to pay for a
hardware device.

Regards,
Dmitry.

P.S. My choice of guitar sound device (portable and suitable for a
small room) is PODxt.

Hi Dimitry,
That was just my own opinion. I've owned PODs, PODxts, Vamps, and line6 amplifiers. They all have pros and cons, and sound very good for the price.

So, I'm not saying that GR is better, I just find GR to have a better sound to my ears, and I also feel it more "real" while playing if that makes sense. Of course, if you need something to gig any hardware solution is more convenient and reliable, but (again IMHO) I don't think any hardware solution in that price range gets even close to GR's sound quality.

Anyway, everyone has different needs (and ears) and if Christian was happy with GuitarPort maybe all the options we're discussing are overkill for him :P

Saludosss

--
Oscar Morante
GPG: CA7417FF

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov.

Re: Linux guitar amplifier simulator

spacepluk
On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM, Hartmut Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:

What is "better" depends on the music you want to play, any software
that is stable and capable of providing the sound you want to hear is
level in such a competition.
I do very well with CAPS-plugins in AMS:

http://lapoc.de/demos/ams-guitrack-killwaveshort.ogg
http://lapoc.de/demos/ams-guitrack-tschoepeled02.ogg
http://lapoc.de/demos/caps-walzersturm02-0312-2007.ogg

> IMHO, if you choose to pay for the sound, it's better to pay for a
> hardware device.

Hi Hartmut, that clips are great. I can't manage to get CAPS to sound that good.
Can you share your settings?? I'd love to give a try :)

I absolutely back that: for 300E you get a hardware recording amp that
beats *any* softwaresolution.

I'd love to know what are that options. I'm thinking about getting a backup for my Mesa DR,
and if I can have a hardware amp sounding like GR for 300 bucks I WANT IT!

Saludosss