Linux-show-player dependencies?

Christopher Arndt
I noticed there's a new release of linux-show-player, version 0.5.

I'm a co-maintainer of its AUR package [1] and I wanted to update it and
I noticed that a few additional dependencies where added to the
setup.py, namely JACK-Client and scandir.

The latter isn't relevant for Arch Linux, since it is already on Python
3.6, which has scandir included. But there doesn't seem to be an AUR
package for JACK-Client yet, so I tried running linux-show-player
without it and to my surprise it seemed work perfectly and there isn't
even an option to select JACK as the output in the preferences.

So my question is: is the dependency on JACK-Client optional? Where is
it used?

Chris

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-show-player/

Re: Linux-show-player dependencies?

Francesco Ceruti
Hi,

"scandir" is conditional for python 3.4 and lower, from 3.5 it's included in the standard lib.

"JACK-Client" is used by one of the output-elements, that component it's failing, but, unless you use "debug" or "warning" as debug level for the application ("linux-show-player --log <level>"), you will not see the error.

You can find how to change output plugin here: http://linux-show-player-users.readthedocs.io/en/latest/gst_media_settings.html , anyway if you don't have JACK-Client and the element fail to load, it will not be visibile in the options.

I noticed there's a new release of linux-show-player, version 0.5.

I'm a co-maintainer of its AUR package [1] and I wanted to update it and
I noticed that a few additional dependencies where added to the
setup.py, namely JACK-Client and scandir.

The latter isn't relevant for Arch Linux, since it is already on Python
3.6, which has scandir included. But there doesn't seem to be an AUR
package for JACK-Client yet, so I tried running linux-show-player
without it and to my surprise it seemed work perfectly and there isn't
even an option to select JACK as the output in the preferences.

So my question is: is the dependency on JACK-Client optional? Where is
it used?

Chris

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/linux-show-player/

Re: Linux-show-player dependencies?

Christopher Arndt
Hi Francesco,

Am 18.03.2017 um 18:07 schrieb Francesco Ceruti:
> "JACK-Client" is used by one of the output-elements, [...] if you don't have JACK-Client and the element fail to load, it
> will not be visibile in the options.

thanks for the comprehensive answer. I figured out as much in the
meantime and added a new "python-jack-client" package to AUR and made it
an optional dependency of linux-show-player.

Overall I'm very impressed with the polishedness (is that a word?) of
the application.

Cheers, Chris

Re: Linux-show-player dependencies?

Francesco Ceruti
No problem, if you prefer, next time you need you can write directly to me so I can answer quickly since I don't check the list frequently.

> Overall I'm very impressed with the polishedness (is that a word?) of
> the application.

Thanks :-)

Francesco