Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Jeanette C.
Hey hey,
I know, losely termed and fit for religious disputes, but I'm looking for a
nice algorithmic reverb plugin (LADSPA or LV2) that can hold its own on a solo
instrument or solo voice. There are some very good IRs and reasonably good
algorithmic reverbs, that I use in mixes. But IRs aren't that tweakable -
certainly not on the fly. I know of some applications that can do that, but
all those that I know have a graphical user interface and thus are out. -- The
algorithmic reverbs I know and use, are good, but not good enough for a good
solo performance.

I'm interested in everything from ambience to rooms and halls.

Thanks for any tips.

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Ralf Mardorf
GxZita_Rev1-Stereo, but I don't know if you can use it without a GUI
and for some reason I noticed that Ardour crashes, if I want to open
it's GUI today ...
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gxplugins-lv2-git/ ... seemingly the
issue is caused by an upgrade

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ grep boost-libs /var/log/pacman.log | tail -1
[2017-05-30 02:13] [ALPM] upgraded boost-libs (1.63.0-2 -> 1.64.0-1)

the drawback of AUR packages ;).

However, Zita reverb does one characteristic very well, IOW it's not
really much tweakable, but IMO it's the only usable algorithm reverb
available as Linux plugin for free as in beer.

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 07:03:48 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>GxZita_Rev1-Stereo, but I don't know if you can use it without a GUI
>and for some reason I noticed that Ardour crashes, if I want to open
>it's GUI today ...
>https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gxplugins-lv2-git/ ... seemingly the
>issue is caused by an upgrade

Oops, wrong link, I've got
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/guitarix-git/ installed.

>[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ grep boost-libs /var/log/pacman.log | tail
>-1 [2017-05-30 02:13] [ALPM] upgraded boost-libs (1.63.0-2 -> 1.64.0-1)
>
>the drawback of AUR packages ;).
>
>However, Zita reverb does one characteristic very well, IOW it's not
>really much tweakable, but IMO it's the only usable algorithm reverb
>available as Linux plugin for free as in beer.

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Joel Roth-2

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 07:03:48AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> GxZita_Rev1-Stereo, but I don't know if you can use it without a GUI
> and for some reason I noticed that Ardour crashes, if I want to open
> it's GUI today ...

Zita_Rev1 is written by Fons Adriaensen. I imagine it would
be straightforward to separate the processing part from the
GUI. CCRMA says the license is open source (I didn't see the
license on Fons's page.)

> However, Zita reverb does one characteristic very well, IOW it's not
> really much tweakable, but IMO it's the only usable algorithm reverb
> available as Linux plugin for free as in beer.

Not sure what "tweakable" means.

There are seven knobs on the GUI shown here:

http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/zita-rev1-doc/quickguide.html

--
Joel Roth

On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 19:19:35 -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>CCRMA says the license is open source (I didn't see the
>license on Fons's page.)

FWIW Zita reverb is from Fons, while the guitarix plugin apparently is
based on Fons' work, but it's not from Fons.

>> However, Zita reverb does one characteristic very well, IOW it's not
>> really much tweakable, but IMO it's the only usable algorithm reverb
>> available as Linux plugin for free as in beer.
>
>Not sure what "tweakable" means.

It does one thing good, but you can't change the character of the
reverb. IOW you don't get a variety of different reverb types.
Since Jeanette is interested to get something that provides different
types of "ambience to rooms and halls", Zita reverb, as well as the
plugin provide only one kind of hall/large room, even not different
kinds of hall/large room.

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Peter P.-2
* Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> [2017-06-10 07:04]:

> GxZita_Rev1-Stereo, but I don't know if you can use it without a GUI
> and for some reason I noticed that Ardour crashes, if I want to open
> it's GUI today ...
> https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gxplugins-lv2-git/ ... seemingly the
> issue is caused by an upgrade
>
> [rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ grep boost-libs /var/log/pacman.log | tail -1
> [2017-05-30 02:13] [ALPM] upgraded boost-libs (1.63.0-2 -> 1.64.0-1)
>
> the drawback of AUR packages ;).
>
> However, Zita reverb does one characteristic very well, IOW it's not
> really much tweakable, but IMO it's the only usable algorithm reverb
> available as Linux plugin for free as in beer.
IMHO it sounds really good bus is lacking a preset saving/recalling
mechanism. So you basically gotta take a screenshot of it to restore
parameters at a later point. Fons knows about this.

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Jeanette C.
Hi Ralf, Joel and Peter,
thanks for your replies. I am definitely interested in different types of
reverbs, but one good plugin for one type of reverb is certainly worth it.
I've installed the gx LV2 plugns and will take a listen.

Thank you all.

--------

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:29:03 +0200, Peter P. wrote:
>IMHO it sounds really good bus is lacking a preset saving/recalling
>mechanism. So you basically gotta take a screenshot of it to restore
>parameters at a later point. Fons knows about this.

GxZita_Rev1-Stereo is _not_ the original reverb from Fons, it is a LV2
plugin provided by guitarix. If you use the plugin with e.g. Ardour, as
I do, the parameters get stored and restored.

For Arch Linux available by
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/guitarix-git/ , the PKGBUILD I
used, as well as binary from official repositories, that I much likely
will use in the future
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/guitarix2/ .

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 10:59:32 +0200 (CEST), Jeanette C. wrote:
>I've installed the gx LV2 plugns and will take a listen.

I guess https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gxplugins-lv2-git/
(or https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/gxplugins-lv2/ ) are just
additional plugins. I didn't install them and posted the link by
accident.

I installed https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/guitarix-git/ , but
instead of rebuilding it against an updated soname dependency I
installed
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/guitarix2/ today.

On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 07:19:35PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> Zita_Rev1 is written by Fons Adriaensen. I imagine it would
> be straightforward to separate the processing part from the
> GUI. CCRMA says the license is open source (I didn't see the
> license on Fons's page.)

The same reverb as used in the Jack app is available as a
LADSPA plugin as well:

<http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/REV-plugins-0.7.1.tar.bz2>

I assume this can be used by the command line tools that
the OP is using.

> Not sure what "tweakable" means.
> There are seven knobs on the GUI shown here:
>
> http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/zita-rev1-doc/quickguide.html

Ten knobs, actually.
Also explained in the README that comes with the LADSPA sources.

Zita-rev1 is indeed only a 'hall' reverb. But apart from
that it's very tweakable.

Ciao,

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Jeanette C.
Jun 10 2017, Fons Adriaensen has written:
> The same reverb as used in the Jack app is available as a
> LADSPA plugin as well:
>
> <http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/REV-plugins-0.7.1.tar.bz2>
>
> I assume this can be used by the command line tools that
> the OP is using.
Hi Fons,
yes, of course it can. Thank you. I actually had that installed already,
but somehow mixed it up with g2verb in my mind, so I never took a closer
look.

--------

Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 09, 2017 at 07:19:35PM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
>
> > Zita_Rev1 is written by Fons Adriaensen. I imagine it would
> > be straightforward to separate the processing part from the
> > GUI. CCRMA says the license is open source (I didn't see the
> > license on Fons's page.)
>
> The same reverb as used in the Jack app is available as a
> LADSPA plugin as well:
>
> <http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/downloads/REV-plugins-0.7.1.tar.bz2>
>
> I assume this can be used by the command line tools that
> the OP is using.
>
> > Not sure what "tweakable" means.
> > There are seven knobs on the GUI shown here:
> >
> > http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/zita-rev1-doc/quickguide.html
>
> Ten knobs, actually.
> Also explained in the README that comes with the LADSPA sources.

If I understand correctly, the LADSPA plugin has LADSPA ID 3701,
and is named zita-reverb. The ambisonic version is ID 3702,
named zita-reverb-amb.

> Zita-rev1 is indeed only a 'hall' reverb. But apart from
> that it's very tweakable.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

Joel Roth

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Fons Adriaensen-3
On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 12:53:19AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:

> If I understand correctly, the LADSPA plugin has LADSPA ID 3701,
> and is named zita-reverb. The ambisonic version is ID 3702,
> named zita-reverb-amb.

Correct. The 'g2reverb' from earlier releases of REV-plugins
is now in a separate package.

Ciao,

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Lorenzo Sutton
Hi Jeanette,

I wonder... What type of 'solo' do you have in mind? Is this an
instrument on its own, or even a voice?

I always found Fons' reverb actually very tweak-able and versatile in
many situations, but knowing what your original material is really helps
too. I mean for certain use cases (e.g. some drums) even a plate reverb
might work well...

Lorenzo.

On 10/06/17 01:39, Jeanette C. wrote:

> Hey hey,
> I know, losely termed and fit for religious disputes, but I'm looking
> for a nice algorithmic reverb plugin (LADSPA or LV2) that can hold its
> own on a solo instrument or solo voice. There are some very good IRs and
> reasonably good algorithmic reverbs, that I use in mixes. But IRs aren't
> that tweakable - certainly not on the fly. I know of some applications
> that can do that, but all those that I know have a graphical user
> interface and thus are out. -- The algorithmic reverbs I know and use,
> are good, but not good enough for a good solo performance.
>
> I'm interested in everything from ambience to rooms and halls.
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
>
> --------
> When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Peter P.-2
* Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> [2017-06-10 11:14]:
> On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 09:29:03 +0200, Peter P. wrote:
> >IMHO it sounds really good bus is lacking a preset saving/recalling
> >mechanism. So you basically gotta take a screenshot of it to restore
> >parameters at a later point. Fons knows about this.
>
> GxZita_Rev1-Stereo is _not_ the original reverb from Fons, it is a LV2
> plugin provided by guitarix.
[...]
Considering where I bottom-quoted your last mail it might become more
clear that I was talking of zita-rev1.

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Jun 10 2017, Lorenzo Sutton has written:

> Hi Jeanette,
>
> I wonder... What type of 'solo' do you have in mind?
It's piano. I've loaded up one of the nice ones now and hyave Fons'
zita-verb on there and I'm convinced.

I think that I might use the CAPS stereo plate for some nice low-key
ambience type, but the zita-verb sounds really nice for a hall.

Thanks and best wishes,

Jeanette

--------

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 16:46:27 +0200 (CEST), Jeanette C. wrote:
>zita-verb sounds really nice for a hall

That's why I mentioned it.

It does a very good job for that one kind of "large room"/hall,
especially when using it in combination with Fons' parametric EQ, resp.
Robin's parametric EQ, that actually is based upon Fons' EQ.

There also was (and perhaps still is) a LinuxDSP reverb available for
free as in beer, that also was (is) very good, but as far as I know it
wasn't (isn't) available as a plugin, neither open source, so I
dropped it a while ago. As Fons reverb, IIRC the LinuxDSP reverb also
just provides one usable kind of reverb type and nothing else, but IIRC
also in a superb quality, also especially in combination with an EQ,
but likely not adjustable without a GUI.

Re: Looking for best-possible quality algorithmic reverb plugin

Chris Caudle
On Sat, June 10, 2017 12:24 pm, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> There also was (and perhaps still is) a LinuxDSP reverb available for
> free as in beer, that also was (is) very good, but as far as I know it
> wasn't (isn't) available as a plugin, neither open source, so I

LinuxDSP has changed names to OvertoneDSP and now sells primarily to
Windows and Mac OS customers, but the existing Linux plugins are still
sold.

The reverb is an emulation of a plate reverb, not free but not expensive.
I think around 25 Euro.  Free demo available of the style that makes the
audio temporarily stop every 60 seconds.

https://overtonedsp.co.uk/download/download_rvb500/index.html

Available as a linux VST plugin, but as I only work  with the graphical
interface I really could not say whether some VST hosts may be able to
provide a text or text-to-audio interface to the controls.

--
Chris Caudle

Peter P. wrote:
> IMHO it sounds really good bus is lacking a preset saving/recalling
> mechanism. So you basically gotta take a screenshot of it to restore
> parameters at a later point. Fons knows about this.

If you use the LADSPA or LV2 version, the plugin host (e.g.
Ardour) will save the settings for you.

--
Joel Roth