Midi over Internet

rosea.grammostola
Hi,

What are the possibilities for me if I want to sent midi data trough a
crossover-cable in a local network?

Play a synth from a midi sequencer on host A, sent it to a synth on host B.

Linux - Linux and maybe Linux - OSX.

I think I tried QmidiNet once, but it gave me quite some latency iirc.

Regards,

\r

Re: Midi over Internet

Len Ovens
On Thu, 14 May 2020, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> What are the possibilities for me if I want to sent midi data trough a
> crossover-cable in a local network?

Not sure what you mean by a crossover cable here but probably not whatever
I am thinking :)

> Play a synth from a midi sequencer on host A, sent it to a synth on host B.
>
> Linux - Linux and maybe Linux - OSX.
>
> I think I tried QmidiNet once, but it gave me quite some latency iirc.

I can't speak for the latency, some of that would be jack (if used) on
either end but some may also be network. How local is the LAN? how many
switches/routers does the signal go through? how busy is the LAN? Is
wireless involved? Are there any old style hubs? Is there any traffic
shaping going on?

I do not know if this is any better than ipmidi (QmidiNet) but there was
an announcement last month:
https://lists.linuxaudio.org/archives/linux-audio-announce/2020-April/002798.html
https://github.com/davidmoreno/rtpmidid/releases

rtpmidi is compatable with the built in rtmidi in MacOs/osx etc.

Re: Midi over Internet

Atte
I assume he's referring to this

Cheers

On Thu, 14 May 2020, Atte Jensen wrote:

> I assume he's referring to this
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
>
> Den tor. 14. maj 2020 kl. 16.15 skrev Len Ovens <[hidden email]>:
>       On Thu, 14 May 2020, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>
>       > What are the possibilities for me if I want to sent midi data
>       trough a
>       > crossover-cable in a local network?
>
>       Not sure what you mean by a crossover cable here but probably
>       not whatever
>       I am thinking :)

That was what I would think of as a crossover cable. That would make for a
very small LAN of only two machines. IN that case latency would be all in
the two ends, either QmidiNet itself or jack. Somehow the way local
network was described made me think it was larger.

Most NICs and switches do not need crossover cables any more as they auto
detect/reroute internally. It only takes one end to do this. None of the
newer switches I have seen have an "uplink" socket any more.

Re: Midi over Internet

Chris Caudle
On Thu, May 14, 2020 2:31 am, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> What are the possibilities for me if I want to sent midi data trough a
> crossover-cable in a local network?

Is jackd in use?  If so, you could use netjack which is built in to jackd.
I believe that the MIDI data is sent across the network the same as the
audio data.

--
Chris Caudle

Re: Midi over Internet

rosea.grammostola

On 5/14/20 5:25 PM, Chris Caudle wrote:
> crossover-cable in a local network?
> Is jackd in use?  If so, you could use netjack which is built in to jackd.
> I believe that the MIDI data is sent across the network the same as the
> audio data.

Jackd is in use of course! (what is linuxaudio without JACK!)

But I don't think netjack(2) does MIDI data. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: Midi over Internet

Bengt Gördén-3
On 2020-05-15 00:52, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> But I don't think netjack(2) does MIDI data. Correct me if I'm wrong.

If (2) means jack2 it does midi.

https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/WalkThrough_User_NetJack2

--
/bengan