Mixing audio files via command line

Josh Lawrence-2
Hello!

I have a bunch of drum samples that I need to mix down.  For example, I have a folder called SNARE.  Inside are 5 audio files of a single hit recorded from all 5 mics on the drum set.  In audacity I would load them all in, select Tracks > Mix > Mix and Render to bring them all to a single mono audio file.

So far so good, except I have a BUNCH of folders to do.  Is there a command line tool that can do this?  I'd like to script this process if possible.  I've run across SoX in my googling, but I wanted to check with you all to see what tools you might recommend.

Thank you,

Josh

Josh Lawrence

Re: Mixing audio files via command line

Hank Stanglow
On 4/27/20 1:50 PM, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a bunch of drum samples that I need to mix down.  For example, I have a folder called SNARE.  Inside are 5 audio files of a single hit recorded from all 5 mics on the drum set.  In audacity I would load them all in, select Tracks > Mix > Mix and Render to bring them all to a single mono audio file.
>
> So far so good, except I have a BUNCH of folders to do.  Is there a command line tool that can do this?  I'd like to script this process if possible.  I've run across SoX in my googling, but I wanted to check with you all to see what tools you might recommend.
Why not use Audacity's batch processing tool?
https://ttmanual.audacityteam.org/o/man/batch_processing.html

Audacity also supports scripting:
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/scripting.html

Re: Mixing audio files via command line

Apr 27 2020, Josh Lawrence has written:
> I have a bunch of drum samples that I need to mix down.

SoX does seem to be the most used tool for such tasks. It is available
on any distro I know. There is Ecasound, which has a different kind of
idiosyncracy when it comes to options. :) If you know your way around
something like Csound - and possibly others like SuperCollider or PD -
might also do the trick well, but ONLY if you know them. :)

If you're not thinking of simple shell scripts, but rather Perl, Python
or relatives, there are quite a few language specific modules to perform
such tasks on a high level. That again might include Ecasound's ECI and
others. If that would be the case, you'd find much better people to
suggest THE package to do it. :)

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Give me a sign...
Hit me Baby one more time <3