Quantcast

More old music: Funny ways

Jeanette C.
Hey hey,
these two songs are from the second album, back in the winter of 2002/2003.
The album was called Funny Ways and has - as befits the season - a much darker
spirit, also a few more song-like songs. Partly less experimental and partly
played straighter and surer:
http://juliencoder.de/nama/archives/funny/index.html

Enjoy! :)

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: More old music: Funny ways

Will Godfrey
On Tue, 2 May 2017 20:41:46 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey hey,
> these two songs are from the second album, back in the winter of 2002/2003.
> The album was called Funny Ways and has - as befits the season - a much darker
> spirit, also a few more song-like songs. Partly less experimental and partly
> played straighter and surer:
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/archives/funny/index.html
>
> Enjoy! :)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette
Just had a listen to these. I preferred deep_down. The fairly irregular drum
pattern in underworld wasn't really to my taste.

Re: More old music: Funny ways

Jeanette C.
May 4 2017, Will Godfrey has written:
> Just had a listen to these. I preferred deep_down. The fairly irregular drum
> pattern in underworld wasn't really to my taste.
Hey hey will,
glad you took the time to listen and to comment. At the time, I was
personally more satisfied with Underworld, since Deep Down had some
arrangement problems and the only sound effect I really wanted to
simulate didn't work out. :) Technical, personal history, no accounting
for it. :)

Best wishes,

Jeanny

--------

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Tue, 2 May 2017 20:41:46 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> these two songs are from the second album, back in the winter of
> 2002/2003. The album was called Funny Ways and has - as befits the
> season - a much darker spirit, also a few more song-like songs.
> Partly less experimental and partly played straighter and surer:
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/archives/funny/index.html

'Underworld' has a strong hook in which silence or perhaps a pause
rather, plays a role, which is very nice.  This slight pause is
underlined by the contrasting busy drums.  The effect is quite achieved.

I put these pieces into progressive rock which may very well be the
genre they belong to.  Especially when it comes to 'Deep Down'.  We
hear in there many of the progrock trademarks.  The drums in that one
comes across as being specially alive for 'machine drums'.  A nice
enjoyable piece of that style.  The recurring theme always happen at
the right time to be enjoyed.

Now, if you don't mind. the album title, 'Funny Ways' had to make me
think about a classic of progressive rock.  Ray Shulmann gives the bass
to brother Derek to pickup the violin while keyboardist Kerry Minnear
plays the cello and does mostly the lead vocals, also shared by Derek.
Kerry also does the vibraphone solo.

From a 16mm film dated to 1974, 'Funny Ways' by U.K. band Gentle Giant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzDCfnBhinw

Cheers.

Re: More old music: Funny ways

Jeanette C.
May 4 2017, jonetsu has written:
Hey hey,
thanks for the detailed comments. There were a few things I didn't even
think about when I played those songs. The second was actually my
attempt to copy The Rasmus, if you remember them. :)
> Now, if you don't mind. the album title, 'Funny Ways' had to make me
> think about a classic of progressive rock.  Ray Shulmann gives the bass
> to brother Derek to pickup the violin while keyboardist Kerry Minnear
> plays the cello and does mostly the lead vocals, also shared by Derek.
> Kerry also does the vibraphone solo.
Oh, thank you for reminding me of them. It's been a while and I don't
know that song. It's beautiful!

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3