Quantcast

Motu 1248 - Full success

123

Motu 1248 - Full success

Moshe Werner
Hi Folks,

after a long period of being distracted from doing sound work I'm getting back into business. I needed a solid solution for Audio Interface, so I started researching.

I must say that from my perspective a lot has happened in the past three four years.

More class compliant interfaces enter the market and the horizon widens regarding hardware in Linux.

I came across the new Motu AVB devices and could'nt believe that they would be the solution to my hardware problems.

The point is, my old studio and travelling interfaces are RME HDSP9652 and TC Impact twin, respectively.

The RME always just worked. Pretty low latencies and with the right configuration zero xruns.
The TC has a little bit higher latency but also pretty solid.

But... they are old interfaces and the time will shortly come when I will not be able to buy a new PC/laptop with PCI or Firwire ports.

So I looked for other options...
Rme new stuff is mostly class compliant but has proprietary drivers and that means no control over certain features.

So I got a pretty good deal on a Motu 1248 and went for it.

Here are my first impressions from half a day of testing.

 First and foremost, the interface just works! Out of the box. I plugged it in configured Jack and got sound. Great... and non trivial for Linux.

After a bit of fiddling around with my Network settings I got the control software to work, and I must say it's just amazing to have a piece of equipment that I can fully use under Linux.
There is a full featured mixer in the DSP that's also a nice addition, but the main thing for me was the routing matrix, which is pretty cool to have.

Latency - The latency in CC mode is better than my Firewire interface, but still a bit worse than the rme. For now I succeded to run a medium session (25 Channels with processing and fx) at 64 frames buffer size with 3 buffers.
Certainly not bad. While playing guitar and singing I didn't feel any of this annoying delay that you sometimes get when the latency is bad.

Sound quality - Pretty good. I have nothing to complain about... Though I can't really hear the supposedly amazing ESS converters stand out from the other professional DAC crowd...
To be honest in the Studio I'm working happily with the old Alesis HD24xr AD/DC to make 1/0 out of my precious electrons...
The Preamps are pretty clean sounding from my firswt impression, but I really didn't have enough time to toy with them.

The channel count is huge for my terms. 64 in and out... That should be enough for me. Though I didn't get around to check if the AVB connection does really work on Linux.

To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction here...
I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces and software that work with Linux...

Cheers

Moshe

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Thu, 11 May 2017 21:17:23 +0200
Moshe Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction
> here... I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces
> and software that work with Linux...

Thanks for your review.  It's always useful to know about other sources
of audio interfaces.  Do you happen to know if all MOTU interfaces
follows the same compatibility design, or is the 1248 innovating in
this ?

Cheers.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

Moshe Werner

On May 12, 2017 01:34, "jonetsu" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 11 May 2017 21:17:23 +0200
Moshe Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction
> here... I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces
> and software that work with Linux...

Thanks for your review.  It's always useful to know about other sources
of audio interfaces.  Do you happen to know if all MOTU interfaces
follows the same compatibility design, or is the 1248 innovating in
this ?

Cheers.

I think I remember someone here talking about the Ultralite AVB working too. That's how I became aware of the AVB product range in first place.

For sure I can say that at least the M8 and the A16 should work the same way as the 1248 does, because they're essentially the same interface with a different front end.
Even the manual is exactly the same.

Cheers
Moshe

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

Lorenzo Sutton

Thanks for this review, it is always useful and interesting to get
hands-on experiences with hardware on Linux...

On 11/05/2017 21:17, Moshe Werner wrote:
[...]
> After a bit of fiddling around with my Network settings I got the
> control software to work, and I must say it's just amazing to have a
> piece of equipment that I can fully use under Linux.
> There is a full featured mixer in the DSP that's also a nice addition,
> but the main thing for me was the routing matrix, which is pretty cool
> to have.
[...]
> To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction here...
> I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces and software
> that work with Linux...

Yes I agree. On the MOTU website I even read: "MOTU AVB audio interfaces
can be remotely controlled from a hardware controller or software
interface using either OSC or HTTP."

And yes hopefully manufacturers will continue with class compliant open
APIs, web-apps etc. for control software...

Lorenzo.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

Bearcat Şándor
This is awesome news. I've been interested in MOTU interfaces for a long time, but avoided them given their lack of cooperation with the Linux community.

Which interface did you use? Does it work with thunderbolt, USB or both? If you've tried both did you notice any differences​ in performance between the two?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
--
Bearcat M. Şándor
Feline Soul Systems LLC

Hi,

On May 12, 2017 12:17, "Bearcat Şándor" <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is awesome news. I've been interested in MOTU interfaces for a long time, but avoided them given their lack of cooperation with the Linux community.

Which interface did you use? Does it work with thunderbolt, USB or both? If you've tried both did you notice any differences​ in performance between the two?

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
--
Bearcat M. Şándor
Feline Soul Systems LLC
Voice: 872.CAT.SOUL <a href="tel:(872)%20228-7685" value="+18722287685" target="_blank">(872.228.7685)
Fax: <a href="tel:(406)%20235-7070" value="+14062357070" target="_blank">406.235.7070

Actually Motu are not cooperating so much with Linux, it's more that we profit from IOs users wanting to use audio interfaces...

I'm using the 1248, and as I said the m8 and A16 should work too because it's basically the same interface with a different analogue​ front end.

I did not try thunderbolt, this requires drivers and they are not available for Linux.
Class compliant USB works out of the box.
The control over the software is done via Ethernet.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

On Thu, 11 May 2017, jonetsu wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2017 21:17:23 +0200
> Moshe Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction
>> here... I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces
>> and software that work with Linux...
>
> Thanks for your review.  It's always useful to know about other sources
> of audio interfaces.  Do you happen to know if all MOTU interfaces
> follows the same compatibility design, or is the 1248 innovating in
> this ?

I think it is just the AVB line. To control the internal mixer you need to
AVB port anyway. I do not think they redesigned their older but still in
production devices.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

Bearcat Şándor

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 9:06 AM Moshe Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Unless i'm missing something, Thunderbolt (which is version 3) is available under "Device Drivers" in my kernel version 4.10.13.   I'm not sure at what kernel version it became available, but it looks like it was put in sometime last year.

--

Bearcat M. Şándor, CEO

On May 12, 2017 18:09, "Bearcat Şándor" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

But there is no class compliant audio driver for TB.
The interface works with USB because you don't have to install a driver, it's class compliant.

For TB audio to work you do need a proprietary driver, which, to my best understanding, there is none for Linux.

I would love to be proven wrong.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

On Fri, 12 May 2017, Bearcat Şándor wrote:

> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 9:06 AM Moshe Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I did not try thunderbolt, this requires drivers and they are not
>> available for Linux.
>
> Unless i'm missing something, Thunderbolt (which is version 3) is available under
> "Device Drivers" in my kernel version 4.10.13.   I'm not sure at what kernel
> version it became available, but it looks like it was put in sometime last year.

Not knowing thumderbolt at all, the next question in my mind is, being
able to talk thunderbolt is one thing, but being able to talk to any one
device at the end of a thunderbolt interface may be a different thing. It
there a thunderbolt audio device standard yet? Does Linux support it?

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano
On 05/11/2017 12:17 PM, Moshe Werner wrote:
> Hi Folks,

> So I got a pretty good deal on a Motu 1248 and went for it.
>
> Here are my first impressions from half a day of testing.
>
>  First and foremost, the interface just works! Out of the box. I plugged
> it in configured Jack and got sound. Great... and non trivial for Linux.
>
> After a bit of fiddling around with my Network settings I got the
> control software to work, and I must say it's just amazing to have a
> piece of equipment that I can fully use under Linux.
> There is a full featured mixer in the DSP that's also a nice addition,
> but the main thing for me was the routing matrix, which is pretty cool
> to have.

Yes, this is very nice and gives access to all the configuration switches.

> Latency - The latency in CC mode is better than my Firewire interface,
> but still a bit worse than the rme. For now I succeded to run a medium
> session (25 Channels with processing and fx) at 64 frames buffer size
> with 3 buffers.
> Certainly not bad. While playing guitar and singing I didn't feel any of
> this annoying delay that you sometimes get when the latency is bad.

Make sure you are running threaded irq's and that the irq that handles
the usb connection is running with "soundcard priority". That helps a
lot (maybe you are already using rtirq and is doing that for you). And,
if you can, make that the only device that is attached to that
particular usb hub.

> Sound quality - Pretty good. I have nothing to complain about... Though
> I can't really hear the supposedly amazing ESS converters stand out from
> the other professional DAC crowd...
> To be honest in the Studio I'm working happily with the old Alesis
> HD24xr AD/DC to make 1/0 out of my precious electrons...
> The Preamps are pretty clean sounding from my firswt impression, but I
> really didn't have enough time to toy with them.
>
> The channel count is huge for my terms. 64 in and out... That should be
> enough for me. Though I didn't get around to check if the AVB connection
> does really work on Linux.

I have never had the time to try to make the whole AVB thing work.
Trying OpenAVB a while back I managed to get the Motu to sync with the
Linux box through AVB, but never went as far as getting discovery and
streaming working (no time). You do need an ethernet interface that has
AVB support (Intel i210, for example).

On the other hand I'm working on a big system that uses (for now) USB at
44.1/48 with a 64 channel count to interface with computers, and then
the rest of the I/O going through AVB streams to and from additional
boxes (I use either an A16 or 24ai as entry points because they support
8 i/o AVB streams). Pretty neat with all the routing matrices shuttling
samples back and forth. You have to pay attention to how many AVB
streams each card can handle (they are not necessarily symmetric).

> To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction here...
> I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces and software
> that work with Linux...

I found one issue when using Jack. When you use the interface for the
first time, or when changing sampling rates, the interface takes up to 7
seconds to actually change sampling rate and get in sync with others or
itself. During that time Jack will not start successfully ("cannot set
hardware params"). The trick so far is to be patient, wait the required
time, try again and things just work.

The A16 works, as well as the 24ai and 24ao.

I had problems with the newer generation of Motu cards that have a USB3
interface, so beware. Those work fine with USB2 connections but then the
I/O is restricted to 24 channels input and output (in the older
generation and with the latest firmware you can select whether you have
more channels and less sampling rate options or visceversa - that is not
available in these new cards). If you connect to an USB3 port the USB
subsystem in the kernel hangs or gets really confused. Reboot time :-(

-- Fernando

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

list
Hello.

Thank you for your report on this 1248.

I've made the report on the ULTRALITE AVB in march.
[http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2017-March/107629.html]
I've finally bought one, and since 1 month, it runs without any
troubles.

I think it's safe to say that the AVB serie (1248 / 624 / ULTRALITE) is
working  for Gnu/Linux.

I'm maybe missed it, but which distro are you running this card on ?

Did you register your product on MOTU web site, and add a comment that
you running it with Gnu/Linux. I like to believe that each voice
count :)

Le Thu, 11 May 2017 21:17:23 +0200,
Moshe Werner <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> While playing guitar and singing I didn't feel any
> of this annoying delay that you sometimes get when the latency is bad.

You surely see that, but you can, thanks to the routing matrix, have
near 0 latency on hardware monitoring while recording (guitar/vocal)
nothing goes through the computer. You also have to set the option in
your DAW to use hardware monitoring.

> To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction
> here... I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces
> and software that work with Linux...

Yeah ! But like Len Ovens said on the ULTRALITE report, it's more «side
effect» of IOS...than a real Gnu/Linux support. They just repected USB
CLASS audio  «standard» [lot of other brands claim to be Class
compliant, but you do not have the softwares to control the card, so
useless ] and embedded the usually softwares they ship for Win/Mac
inside the card. Anyway it work !

> Cheers
>
> Moshe

All the best !

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Thu, 11 May 2017 21:17:23 +0200
Moshe Werner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> To summarize I'm feeling that we are moving in the right direction
> here... I hope other manufacturers will follow and make Interfaces
> and software that work with Linux...

A workflow observation: with such an interface a DAW project directory
would also contain the saved EQ, limiter,etc.. parameters from the MOTU
interface.  Loading a project would consist of loading the DAW project
then the MOTU parameters.  Just thinking aloud, nothing to worry :)

Cheers.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

IMO we should get used to USB class compliant devices _even without
access to the hardware mixer_. With my new mobo (elCheapo,as well as
the CPU, it's just an Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz) I noticed
that even if IRQs are shared with USB and even if it is impossible to
unbind devices, even if IRQs of some components differ with each
reboot, low latency without xruns is provided.

I've got a RME HDEPe AIO PCIe card and a Focusrite Scarlett 2nd Gen
18i20 USB audio interface and get lower latency at 2 Periods/Buffer
(dunno why some are using 3 Periods/Buffer) for the Focusrite USB, than
I get with the RME PCIe card.

I don't had the money to buy a RME class compliant USB device, but
since I've got a job now, I much likely will replace the Focusrite with
a RME USB device.

Ignoring the approach of using an external mixing console for hardware
monitoring, I guess access to the hardware mixer matrix, as well as to
effects of the audio interface isn't really required, if latency is low
enough.

Those using a mixing console don't need to worry about monitoring
latency and access to the audio interfaces hardware mixer at all and
those not using a mixing console should consider that modern PCs with
tendencies to drop PCI slots, come with improved hardware, higher RAM
speed etc., so much likely software monitoring isn't an issue anymore.

2 Cents,
Ralf

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

list
Hello All !

Le Fri, 12 May 2017 22:09:26 +0200,
list <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I think it's safe to say that the AVB serie (1248 / 624 / ULTRALITE)
> is working  for Gnu/Linux.

Hmm according to Fernando's message  :

>I had problems with the newer generation of Motu cards that have a
>USB3
>interface, so beware. Those work fine with USB2 connections but then
>the I/O is restricted to 24 channels input and output (in the older
>generation and with the latest firmware you can select whether you
>have
>more channels and less sampling rate options or visceversa - that is
>not available in these new cards). If you connect to an USB3 port the
>USB subsystem in the kernel hangs or gets really confused. Reboot
>time :-(

The MOTU 624 might have troubles, as the USB port is a USB3 one.

I really have to find one to test.

Fernando : Have you had a chance to tweak/test the bios settings
related to USB  : hands off / legacy and others options that motherboard
sometimes offers ?

All the best.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

Ralf Mardorf
On Sat, 13 May 2017 13:50:40 +0200, list wrote:

>Le Fri, 12 May 2017 22:09:26 +0200, list a écrit :
>> I think it's safe to say that the AVB serie (1248 / 624 / ULTRALITE)
>> is working  for Gnu/Linux.
>
>Hmm according to Fernando's message  :
>
>>I had problems with the newer generation of Motu cards that have a
>>USB3 interface, so beware. Those work fine with USB2 connections but
>>then the I/O is restricted to 24 channels input and output
>
>Fernando : Have you had a chance to tweak/test the bios settings
>related to USB  : hands off / legacy and others options that
>motherboard sometimes offers ?

Don't waste your limited life span with such questions and possible
workarounds, since it's not worse the effort, assuming making music
should be your aim. Get a class compliant USB device and ignore all
those special offers, just use a modern PC + the audio interface as a
class compliant audio interface and don't use the audio devices hardware
monitoring and any additional features. _Simply_ use a mixing console
for the monitoring or use software monitoring with less latency. You
need to weighing up your "available lifetime" with "computer geek
trendy" vs "the passion to make music".

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

PS:

In this case ask yourself, if you need more than 24 I/O channels. If
you should need more 24 I/O channels, consider if it's a wise decision
to use any fish tweaks, instead of thinking about a professional
solution. I seriously doubt that amateurs and semi-professional users
often tend to need > 24 I/O. A professional should take into account if
it's worth the effort to risk something, instead of simply using a
solution that is supported by the interface's vendor(s).

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

list
Le Sat, 13 May 2017 08:51:31 +0200,

Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> IMO we should get used to USB class compliant devices _even without
> access to the hardware mixer_.

USB Class compliant doesnt always mean that you can use the hardware.
Some devices comes with all the routing muted, and without the software
from the brand, that work only with Win/Mac. You just have a 3000 $
piece of hardware silence. Happy to find the USB is detected in the
Kernel log though.

Like this one :

https://www.prismsound.com/music_recording/products_subs/atlas/atlas_home.php
They claiming «This is a UAC2 (USB Audio Class 2) interface supported
natively in Mac, iPad, Linux and Android, and in Windows via a driver. »

But you need their software to make initial routing/control. Or at
least some «alsa mixer» to control it. Does not exist as far as i know.

So, paying 100 % of the price to have 1% of the functionality....or 0%
(perfect silence...)

Focusrite with his series 2i2,  2i4 ( 1st or 2d generation) have
another way to do it : routing is default to everywhere, and you can
control what you want with switchs/buttons and knobs. Very effective,
but limited cards (compared to some Prismsound or Antelope cards) not
so expensive also.

> I don't had the money to buy a RME class compliant USB device, but
> since I've got a job now, I much likely will replace the Focusrite
> with a RME USB device.

RME as a very special way to do UAC2 - USB Audio Class 2. More an
«RME-ish USB Audio class as i want to do it». Maybe it's enough for
someone's need.

But it's only from my little experience with RME's cards. Sound Devices
have also this problem (USBPRE 2 card) never fully worked (the card
think Linux is windows without ASIO and fallback to 44100 hz only)

From my (small) understanding & knowledges there is only 3 solutions :
(with UAC2 standard respect we all know)

Brands use hardware controls on the card (like Focusrite did with 2ix
serie)

Brands start to produce code in the Kernel/Alsa to have perfect
interface/control of theirs cards.

Brand start to embedded their control softwares in the card that you can
use with a web browser - as MOTU cleverly did.

We know that since begining of age with routers/modems/switchs
why not in audio ?

Let me quote Ardour's dev page about this : «You can thank the brain
dead morons in the audio technology industry for this situation.»

All the best.

Re: Motu 1248 - Full success

list
Le Sat, 13 May 2017 14:09:02 +0200,
Ralf Mardorf <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Got my answer :)
philosophical way

On Sat, 13 May 2017 14:36:45 +0200, list wrote:
>USB Class compliant doesnt always mean [...]

Apart from Linux audio I tested an USB class compliant Presonus before
I tested and bought the Focusrite.

The Presonus worked with Linux, but not with iOS, while the Focusrite
worked with Linux and iOS. The first issue with the Presonus is too
much power consumption via USB for iOS, but even with an active USB hub
the Presonus didn't work with iOS. To cut a long story short, if a
vendor claims that the audio interface is class compliant, but actually
it isn't, than in civilised nations, it's easy to return the device and
to get the money back. Indeed iOS devices ignore specifications
regarding power consumption, but Linux doesn't. However, iOS couldn't
use the mentioned Presonus device even after being connected to an
active USB hub.

Résumé

At least for 2 USB class compliant audio interfaces I only noticed an
issue with my iPad 2 (an absolutely outdated iPad) but even not with my
old Linux PC, a mobo and CPU much, much, much older than the iPad 2.
123