[Music]: Cooking Meth (an experiment)

Jeanette C.
Hey hey,
whilst on holiday I did not only play the piano and embarrassingly sweet ways.
My friend has a very lovely studio with a powerful Linux machine and some
outboard equipment. So as an experiment, we did record a very short electronic
piece. For now, I'd like to show withgout further comments about the
experimental nature, maybe it is obvious after all:
http://juliencoder.de/nama/cooking_meth.ogg
http://juliencoder.de/nama/cooking_meth.mp3

Feedback is welcome, especially if something strikes you as particularly odd
about it. :) Or if you just happen to like to really hate it. :)

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I can't believe it's what I see
That the girl in the mirror
The girl in the mirror Is me <3

Re: [Music]: Cooking Meth (an experiment)

Bill Purvis
On 03/01/2019 19:36, Jeanette C. wrote:

> Hey hey,
> whilst on holiday I did not only play the piano and embarrassingly
> sweet ways. My friend has a very lovely studio with a powerful Linux
> machine and some outboard equipment. So as an experiment, we did
> record a very short electronic piece. For now, I'd like to show
> withgout further comments about the experimental nature, maybe it is
> obvious after all:
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/cooking_meth.ogg
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/cooking_meth.mp3
>
> Feedback is welcome, especially if something strikes you as
> particularly odd about it. :) Or if you just happen to like to really
> hate it. :)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Jeanette

Well I liked it. Certainly different! Quite a catchy little tune and the
variety of sounds
was interesting. Tell us more about it...

Bill

Re: [Music]: Cooking Meth (an experiment)

Jeanette C.
Jan 4 2019, Bill Purvis has written:
> Tell us more about it...
Thanks Bill. Glad you liked it.

OK, so this was an experiment in sound. My friend has a bit of vintage
hardware and I was interested how good a modern tune you could produce
with that. Btw. this time recording was done in Ardour.

So the hardware list reads as follows:
kick body: Dave Smith Instruments Mopho (quite modern)
Kick click, snare, hihats, clap: Korg Volca Beats
Lower pluck (left): Moog Sub37
Very high pluck (clear in the intro): Behrionger Model D (MiniMoog copy)
Mid pluck (right): ARP Odyssey (Model 2813, IIRC)
Bass and Noise: TTSH (modern recreation of the ARP 2600 - with bleed and
everything :) )
String pad: Godwin string ensemble
Strings stabs: ARP/Eminent Solina
Lead sounds: ARP Pro Soloist (horn and electric guitar with octave
leaver between mid and up)
Toms: Rotor toms (no samples were hurt in this track :) )

The most difficult bit in the production was to remove all the noise and
hum. Overall though, I was surprised how very well they managed.
Especially the TTSH was amazing. What a bass and how agressive this can
be.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience, including the fact that
I could for once concentrate on sound design and performing. It's good
to have a recording engineer. Hopefully, I'll have another opportunity
to go back there and do something a little more fancy. :)

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

All you people look at me like I'm a little girl.
Well did you ever think it be okay for me to step into this world. <3

Re: [Music]: Cooking Meth (an experiment)

Thorsten Wilms-2
On 03/01/2019 20.36, Jeanette C. wrote:

> http://juliencoder.de/nama/cooking_meth.ogg
> http://juliencoder.de/nama/cooking_meth.mp3
>
> Feedback is welcome, especially if something strikes you as particularly
> odd about it. :) Or if you just happen to like to really hate it. :)

Hi, I dig the lead sounds. Things fit together nicely. With a bit of
work, I could imagine this as theme for some sci-fi adventure, as
there's a touch of ... a hero's journey in there. The title makes me
wonder about that "hero", though ;)

Best wishes,
Thorsten Wilms

--
thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/

Re: [Music]: Cooking Meth (an experiment)

Jeanette C.
Jan 4 2019, Thorsten Wilms has written:
> The title makes me
> wonder about that "hero", though ;)
So would I. :) It was just a wordplay on the place name, luckily we
enjoyed the time without the usage of dangerous chemicals. :)

Glad you enjoyed it. When I first heard the unprocessed mix, I thought
that it sounded like a fusion of EDM and Jean-Michel Jarre. :)

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

What's practical is logical. What the hell, who cares?
All I know is I'm so happy when you're dancing there. <3

Re: [Music]: Cooking Meth (an experiment)

It's a winner as far as I'm concerned, and way outside your normal style (not
that there's anything wrong with that).

Flat symbol on Android tablet (off topic?)

Bill Purvis
I've just come across an oddity - slightly off topic, but I don't know where
else I could take it.

I've been cooking a method for producing chord sheets, I wanted to be
able to
re-print them with transpositions for when the ladies complain a song
goes too
high for them!

It all worked fine, generating HTML which displays fine on Firefox on my
laptop
and when printed on paper. In the interests of saving trees, I decided
to use my
Android tablet instead of paper. All fine except the flat symbol comes
out in the
wrong colour. I print the lyrics in black, but the chords in read. The
flat symbol
should therefore come out in red, and indeed, on firefox it does, but on
my tablet,
using Chrome it comes out in black, it's clearly a different shape to
that in
firefox, being more pointy at the bottom, and there extraneous spaces on
both
sides of it. The color is achieved by grouping the chords inside <span
..> tags
with varying ids to get differing color, weight and sizes. There's
nothing in
the html output between the key letter and the &flat; string, and in any
case it
works fine in firefox.

I guess I could install firefox on my tablet, but I prefer not to mess
too much
with that. I just thought I'd mention it here to see if anyone else has
come across
this.

Bill

Re: Flat symbol on Android tablet (off topic?)

Christopher Arndt
Am 19.10.19 um 16:30 schrieb Bill Purvis:
> I print the lyrics in black, but the chords in read. The
> flat symbol should therefore come out in red, and indeed

No code, no service.

Chris

On 19/10/2019 15:43, Christopher Arndt wrote:

> Am 19.10.19 um 16:30 schrieb Bill Purvis:
>> I print the lyrics in black, but the chords in read. The
>> flat symbol should therefore come out in red, and indeed
> No code, no service.
>
> Chris
[A&] maps onto <span id='rb'>[A&flat;]</span>

where span#rb { color : #ff0000; font-weight : normal; font-size : 18; }
in the CSS.

Bill

Re: Flat symbol on Android tablet (off topic?)

Tim Goetze
[Bill Purvis]
> where span#rb { color : #ff0000; font-weight : normal; font-size : 18; }
> in the CSS.

recently stumbled across a problem on an android tablet (with the
"samsung internet" browser) where the flat symbol is not sourced from
the font used but replaced with something that looks like it came from
the emoji set (doesn't follow color indication, size and glyph margins
are quite off, plus a slight shading effect that makes the symbol look
like it's made of black gel).

the workaround was to use an external font that defines a glyph for
unicode 266d, apparently the native font does not supply one.
(strangely, the sharp symbol 266f was not similarly affected.)