[Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Dave Phillips
Greetings,

I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.

https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song

No great claims for production values, but I hope you find it enjoyable.
Recorded with two mics, a cheap Ibanez electroacoustic, and Ardour6-dev.

Best,

dp

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

David W. Jones
On 3/17/19 4:22 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.
>
> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
>
> No great claims for production values, but I hope you find it enjoyable.
> Recorded with two mics, a cheap Ibanez electroacoustic, and Ardour6-dev.

Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
installed, so cannot play anything at SoundCloud. Can't download
anything either.

On 3/17/19 5:25 PM, david wrote:

> On 3/17/19 4:22 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.
>>
>> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
>>
>> No great claims for production values, but I hope you find it
>> enjoyable. Recorded with two mics, a cheap Ibanez electroacoustic, and
>> Ardour6-dev.
>
> Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
> installed, so cannot play anything at SoundCloud. Can't download
> anything either.

Found the download link hidden away in Soundcloud, had to set up a
Soundcloud account.

Nice track - I like it. Are you performing it live in places, too?

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Mar 18 2019, Dave Phillips has written:
> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
Hey Dave,
it's really been a while since you recorded a "plain old" song like
this. I enjoyed it very much. It made me smile and thus I'm having a
nice start to the day. Your delivery was highly enjoyable. Thanks for
sharing!

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

Give me a sign...
Hit me Baby one more time <3

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Peter P.-2
* david <[hidden email]> [2019-03-18 04:26]:

> On 3/17/19 4:22 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.
> >
> > https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
> >
> > No great claims for production values, but I hope you find it enjoyable.
> > Recorded with two mics, a cheap Ibanez electroacoustic, and Ardour6-dev.
>
> Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio installed,
> so cannot play anything at SoundCloud. Can't download anything either.
Install youtube-dl[1] which allows you to do that (without account) on this
and many other webpages without even seing their ads.

[1] https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

On March 17, 2019 10:11:18 PM HST, "Peter P." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> * david <[hidden email]> [2019-03-18 04:26]:
> > On 3/17/19 4:22 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned
> song.
> > >

> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
> > >
> > > No great claims for production values, but I hope you find it
> enjoyable.
> > > Recorded with two mics, a cheap Ibanez electroacoustic, and
> Ardour6-dev.
> >
> > Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
> installed,
> > so cannot play anything at SoundCloud. Can't download anything
> either.
> Install youtube-dl[1] which allows you to do that (without account) on
> this
> and many other webpages without even seing their ads.

I have youtube-dl and use it for YT. Didn't know it could also handle YT.

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Peter P.-2
* David W. Jones <[hidden email]> [2019-03-18 09:26]:

> On March 17, 2019 10:11:18 PM HST, "Peter P." <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > * david <[hidden email]> [2019-03-18 04:26]:

> > song.
> > > >

> > https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song

> > enjoyable.
> > Ardour6-dev.
> > >
> > > Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
> > installed,
> > > so cannot play anything at SoundCloud. Can't download anything
> > either.
> > Install youtube-dl[1] which allows you to do that (without account) on
> > this
> > and many other webpages without even seing their ads.
>
> I have youtube-dl and use it for YT. Didn't know it could also handle YT.
Sure you meant SC.
Seems like it can handle many sites
https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html
and also includes a generic downloader which works on others too.

On 3/17/19 10:48 PM, Peter P. wrote:

> * David W. Jones <[hidden email]> [2019-03-18 09:26]:
>>

>> On March 17, 2019 10:11:18 PM HST, "Peter P." <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> * david <[hidden email]> [2019-03-18 04:26]:

>>> song.
>>>>>

>>> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song

>>> enjoyable.
>>> Ardour6-dev.

>>> installed,
>>> either.
>>> Install youtube-dl[1] which allows you to do that (without account) on
>>> this
>>> and many other webpages without even seing their ads.
>>
>> I have youtube-dl and use it for YT. Didn't know it could also handle YT.
> Sure you meant SC.

Yes, sorry. Typo daemon=on.

> Seems like it can handle many sites
> https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/supportedsites.html
> and also includes a generic downloader which works on others too.

I have a collection of Firefox extensions for downloading things, too.
Thanks for mentioning youtube-dl's capabilities.

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Roger E
On 18/3/19 7:11 pm, Peter P. wrote:

> * david <[hidden email]> [2019-03-18 04:26]:
>> On 3/17/19 4:22 PM, Dave Phillips wrote:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.
>>>
>>> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
>>>
>>> No great claims for production values, but I hope you find it enjoyable.
>>> Recorded with two mics, a cheap Ibanez electroacoustic, and Ardour6-dev.
>> Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio installed,
>> so cannot play anything at SoundCloud. Can't download anything either.
> Install youtube-dl[1] which allows you to do that (without account) on this
> and many other webpages without even seing their ads.
>
> [1] https://ytdl-org.github.io/youtube-dl/index.html

Did you try it with this song? Please tell me how as it fails for me:

$ youtube-dl
https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
[soundcloud] davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song: Resolving id
[soundcloud] davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song: Downloading
info JSON
ERROR: Unable to download JSON metadata: HTTP Error 401: Unauthorized
(caused by <HTTPError 401: 'Unauthorized'>); please report this issue on
https://yt-dl.org/bug . Make sure you are using the latest version; see
https://yt-dl.org/update  on how to update. Be sure to call youtube-dl
with the --verbose flag and include its complete output.

Fortunately I have a Soundcloud account so was able to download it.
Good song Dave and nice blues sound and feel. I'm pleased to hear you
getting back to the roots although I enjoy your adventurous stuff too.
Mississippi John Hurt was one of the best of the old blues masters.

Roger

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 8:26 PM david <[hidden email]> wrote:

Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
installed, so cannot play anything at SoundCloud.

It sounds to me as if you mean "I cannot listen to any audio from my web browser". There's nothing about SoundCloud that requires PulseAudio - it's just the way your browser gets audio out into the world.

I'm no fan of PulseAudio but I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to cut off their nose to spite their face over this.

Or maybe I'm missing something.

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Arve Barsnes
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 15:28, Paul Davis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 8:26 PM david <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
>> installed, so cannot play anything at SoundCloud.
>
> It sounds to me as if you mean "I cannot listen to any audio from my web browser". There's nothing about SoundCloud that requires PulseAudio - it's just the way your browser gets audio out into the world.
>
> I'm no fan of PulseAudio but I cannot fathom why anyone would choose to cut off their nose to spite their face over this.
>
> Or maybe I'm missing something.

If that's the only option, your position is perfectly rational Paul.
What David might not know is that Firefox can still work just fine
with ALSA, as it does on my computer. It might not be maintained in
Firefox any more (I'm not sure), but the code is still there, enabled
at compile-time with --enable-alsa. Maybe check with your distro
maintainer.

Cheers,
Arve

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 22:22:09 -0400
Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Greetings,
>
>I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.
>
>https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
>
>No great claims for production values, but I hope you find it enjoyable.
>Recorded with two mics, a cheap Ibanez electroacoustic, and Ardour6-dev.
>
>Best,
>
>dp

Classic!
Thoroughly enjoyed this, and thanks for the download link - so rare on SC these
days.

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Dave Phillips
Hi Will !

On 03/18/2019 12:17 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Mar 2019 22:22:09 -0400
> Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.
>>

> Classic!
> Thoroughly enjoyed this, and thanks for the download link - so rare on SC these days.

Thanks, Will, I'm glad you enjoyed my little song. Also to Jeanette C,
David Jones, and Roger, many thanks for listening and commenting.

Btw, core Bob Dylan fans will recognize the melody from Buckets Of Rain.
You'll have to trust me when I tell you that I'd never heard the song
until last night when a friend noted that my melody was almost identical
to Dylan's in that song, and it's true, they are remarkably similar. But
I'm not too worried, Dylan's melody is a rip of the first phrase in Tom
Paxton's Bottle Of Wine. :)

Best regards,

dp

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Bengt Gördén-3
On 2019-03-18 13:23, Roger wrote:
> Did you try it with this song? Please tell me how as it fails for me:

$ youtube-dl -U
Updating to version 2019.03.18 ...

$ youtube-dl
https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
[soundcloud] davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song: Resolving id
[soundcloud] davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song: Downloading
info JSON
[soundcloud] 591699009: Downloading track url
[soundcloud] 591699009: Downloading m3u8 information
[soundcloud] 591699009: Downloading m3u8 information
[soundcloud] 591699009: Checking download video format URL
[soundcloud] 591699009: Checking hls_opus_64_url video format URL
[soundcloud] 591699009: Checking hls_mp3_128_url video format URL
[soundcloud] 591699009: Checking http_mp3_128_url video format URL
[download] Destination: Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song-591699009.wav
[download] 100% of 47.28MiB in 00:07

--
/bengan

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 10:22:09PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:

> I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.

:-)

Looking forward to 'ISTR' and 'IMNSHO' !

Greetings,

Re: [Music] Fair Enough aka The AFAICT Song

Dave Phillips
Hey Fons !

On 03/18/2019 03:10 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 10:22:09PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>> I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned song.
> :-)
>
> Looking forward to 'ISTR' and 'IMNSHO' !
>
> Greetings,

Thanks, you got me laughing with that.

I'll work on 'em. :)

On March 18, 2019 9:39:31 AM HST, Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Fons !
>
> On 03/18/2019 03:10 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 10:22:09PM -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> >
> >> I do still play a bit and even write the occasional old-fashioned
> song.
> > :-)
> >
> > Looking forward to 'ISTR' and 'IMNSHO' !
> >
> > Greetings,
>
> Thanks, you got me laughing with that.
>
> I'll work on 'em. :)
>
> Best,
>
> dp

I declare today "Listen to Dave Phillips Day." I looked in the collection and have 622MB of Dave's music there.

:)

On March 18, 2019 5:05:18 AM HST, Arve Barsnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 at 15:28, Paul Davis <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 8:26 PM david <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Would love to listen to it, but I use Firefox without PulseAudio
> >> installed, so cannot play anything at SoundCloud.
> >
> > It sounds to me as if you mean "I cannot listen to any audio from my
> web browser". There's nothing about SoundCloud that requires
> PulseAudio - it's just the way your browser gets audio out into the
> world.
> >
> > I'm no fan of PulseAudio but I cannot fathom why anyone would choose
> to cut off their nose to spite their face over this.
> >
> > Or maybe I'm missing something.
>
> If that's the only option, your position is perfectly rational Paul.
> What David might not know is that Firefox can still work just fine
> with ALSA, as it does on my computer. It might not be maintained in
> Firefox any more (I'm not sure), but the code is still there, enabled
> at compile-time with --enable-alsa. Maybe check with your distro
> maintainer.

My distro is Debian. They seem to be mandating PulseAudio for Firefox and their Gnome desktop environment. But I think even the FF65 package I downloaded from Mozilla mandates PA.

My history with PA is of endless hoop jumping as it always wanted to have all audio go through either the built-in HDA (not connected to anything), or route it to HDMI (useless since my monitor has no speakers, anyway.) My external USB device always got ignored.

In general, the only time I need audio from Firefox is when I rarely play something from a website. Since youtube-dl works on Soundcloud, I'm ok.

On 19/3/19 4:03 am, Bengt Gördén wrote:
> On 2019-03-18 13:23, Roger wrote:
>> Did you try it with this song? Please tell me how as it fails for me:
>
> $ youtube-dl -U
> Updating to version 2019.03.18 ...
>
> $ youtube-dl
> https://soundcloud.com/davephillips69/fair-enough-aka-the-afaict-song
> [download] 100% of 47.28MiB in 00:07

Aaah, thanks. I'm using the version from Debian Sid which has
self-updating disabled and current version is 2019.01.17-1

Something must have changed in the last 2 months, I guess I'll have to
wait. Not worth going outside the repo when I already have downloaded
the song anyway. It has worked very well for pretty much everything else
I've tried.