Music: Piano/drums improv - archives

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
Hello -

This is a short improv for piano and drums from the 'archives', from
quite a few years ago.  The backdrop is set by the acoustic guitar and
the acoustic bass guitar.  The drums sounds from an Hydrogen kit were
played using an Alesis Control Pad. The piano improv was left as is, no
edit.  The drum track was multed to extract the toms and snare whenever
possible.  Couldn't resist to add something, so some slight synth pad
was added here and there to underline certain passages.

There is a long fade in, so please do not adjust the volume at the
beginning.

https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c86-2

Cheers.

Re: Music: Piano/drums improv - archives

Jeanette C.
May 6 2017, jonetsu has written:
> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c86-2
Thanks for sharing, this sounds very proggy. I actually like the sound
of the piano. With a little room on the piano it would have been even
better. This could have been part of a prog band's live concert. A
lovely, psychedelic breakdown. :) It sounds like you put - what you had
- to the best use.

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: Music: Piano/drums improv - archives

On Fri, 5 May 2017 19:43:53 -0400
jonetsu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello -
>
> This is a short improv for piano and drums from the 'archives', from
> quite a few years ago.  The backdrop is set by the acoustic guitar and
> the acoustic bass guitar.  The drums sounds from an Hydrogen kit were
> played using an Alesis Control Pad. The piano improv was left as is, no
> edit.  The drum track was multed to extract the toms and snare whenever
> possible.  Couldn't resist to add something, so some slight synth pad
> was added here and there to underline certain passages.
>
> There is a long fade in, so please do not adjust the volume at the
> beginning.
>
> https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c86-2
>
> Cheers.

I don't know what it is about your music, but it just doesn't 'work' for me at
all. This gives me a bit of a dilemma. Do I say nothing - and seem to be
ignoring you, or try to comment on the technicalities - which would be a bit
off, as I have only a narrow appreciation of other peoples workflows.

Re: Music: Piano/drums improv - archives

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Sat, 6 May 2017 15:15:14 +0100
Will Godfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I don't know what it is about your music, but it just doesn't 'work'
> for me at all. This gives me a bit of a dilemma. Do I say nothing -
> and seem to be ignoring you, or try to comment on the technicalities
> - which would be a bit off, as I have only a narrow appreciation of
> other peoples workflows.

This is the dilemma.  It is the same here.  One sees a post about a
musical creation (or it can be other things), takes a listen, and then
leaves one totally indifferent or barely does something or
instead creates a reaction, a negative reaction.

For a couple of years I have written reviews for a
genre-dedicated fanzine. Mostly of albums, sometimes of concerts.  I
have done a few interviews, in person or by long distance call.  I
chose the albums but was also given some to review in the same genre.
And there were albums that I did not care much for initially.  So the
first thing I did is to get a listening mind that is more open.

The difference between having to write reviews and a mailing list or a
forum is the 'having to' part of it.  Which is good I find, because it
forces to stretch a bit.  However, this does not exist in the mailing
lists or forums.  Indeed, what does one owe to anybody else in such
contexts ?  Nothing.  You are free.  It is a collection of free
entities that communicates between themselves.  If this is not the case
then there is probably too much ego involved.

In other words, what's wrong with not saying anything ?  Why would one
feel that this is wrong ?  This is the real question in there that
should be faced if one wants to know more about it.

And as you may have noticed, I do not comment much on your music :)

Cheers.

Re: Music: Piano/drums improv - archives

Crojav

As see it as Will J Godfrey wrote:

"I don't know what it is about your music, but it just doesn't 'work' for me at all. This gives me a bit of a dilemma. Do I say nothing - and seem to be ignoring you, or try to comment on the technicalities - which would be a bit off, as I have only a narrow appreciation of other peoples workflows."

That means I don't wont ignore your music, what I need in this is a more specific feedback question. If you have any?

Regards Crojav

Re: Music: Piano/drums improv - archives

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Sat, 6 May 2017 12:08:57 +0200 (CEST)
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> May 6 2017, jonetsu has written:

> > https://soundcloud.com/nominal6/c86-2

> Thanks for sharing, this sounds very proggy. I actually like the sound
> of the piano. With a little room on the piano it would have been even
> better. This could have been part of a prog band's live concert. A
> lovely, psychedelic breakdown. :) It sounds like you put - what you
> had - to the best use.

Thanks.  There are special moments when things happen.  They tend to
happen when one is actually letting go I find.  When one is too full
then there's no place left for anything of that sort to happen I find.
It is not a trance, but it's a state where 'inspiration' can be
recognized.  It's almost as if time becomes less in focus in the sense
that as music tracks are playing and one is adding new notes, there is
a sense of immediately feeling what was played and what is coming up.
I know it sounds corny to say it like this.  Of course we know what was
played and what is coming up, we created those tracks in the first
place. It's more of a being in the 'here and now' type of thing. I do
not find the words.... maybe one day :)

Cheers.