Need some Ideas for a streaming helper ...

Need some Ideas for a streaming helper ...

Niklas Reppel
Hi!

So, i recently started streaming a lecture. The institution uses Discord
as a platform.

Using a strange mix of PulseAudio and JACK, i managed to get a configuration
running where I could stream my voice and the media from my slides (slides
were presented using chromium).

The problem is that discord seems to have some form of compression/auto-gain
that can't be turned off ... so to hear the sound from the videos (the quieter
parts especially) I had to crank them way up. But then, my voice was suddenly
way to low in volume.

So, my idea would be to have a mixer in JACK that allows me to mix my voice and
the streaming audio before it goes into discord (via the PulseAudio JACK Source),
and in addition allows me to put a compressor on the mix so that the streaming
audio and my voice will be at a good level.

Does anybody have a hint what could be a good tool here ?

Best,
Niklas

Re: Need some Ideas for a streaming helper ...

Brandon Hale
You can actually turn down the gate that discord has by default. It is
under user settings (the little gear at the bottom left), and "Voice and
Video". Under input sensitivity, you can turn off automatically
determine input sensitivity and move the bar all of the way to the left.
Let me know if you need any help with this.

You can use standalone applications linked together with jack, or even
carla for mixing things together with compressors. Carla might be useful
for you as you can save everything as a preset and reload when you are
ready.

If you don't want to use carla, you could even load up Ardour and do
everything in an Ardour project to give yourself even more controls and
things to play with, but it might be too heavy for just using discord.
Just route everything to the pulseaudio input sink.

I hope this helps and reach out to me if you need any more help,

Brandon Hale

On 2/16/21 1:16 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi!
>
> So, i recently started streaming a lecture. The institution uses Discord
> as a platform.
>
> Using a strange mix of PulseAudio and JACK, i managed to get a configuration
> running where I could stream my voice and the media from my slides (slides
> were presented using chromium).
>
> The problem is that discord seems to have some form of compression/auto-gain
> that can't be turned off ... so to hear the sound from the videos (the quieter
> parts especially) I had to crank them way up. But then, my voice was suddenly
> way to low in volume.
>
> So, my idea would be to have a mixer in JACK that allows me to mix my voice and
> the streaming audio before it goes into discord (via the PulseAudio JACK Source),
> and in addition allows me to put a compressor on the mix so that the streaming
> audio and my voice will be at a good level.
>
> Does anybody have a hint what could be a good tool here ?
>
> Best,
> Niklas

Re: Need some Ideas for a streaming helper ...

mickski56
non-mixer started from a session manager as long as ladspa plugins are
acceptable to you is a simple solution.

Max

Maybe https://github.com/jack-mixer/jack_mixer

Re: Need some Ideas for a streaming helper ...

Niklas Reppel
So, FYI, in the end I used radium_compressor to even out the levels and jack_mixer to
amplify my microphone a bit. Quality is ok. It's still a bit strange that Discord doesn't
recognize voice activity if auto-leveling is switched off, so i had to use push-to-talk all
the time ... but at least my audience could hear anything.