[New electro-acoustic composition]: hatched from an empty shell

[New electro-acoustic composition]: hatched from an empty shell

Jeanette C.
Hey hey,
I just released this:
http://juliencoder.de/nama/hatched_from_an_empty_shell.flac
http://juliencoder.de/nama/hatched_from_an_empty_shell.mp3
http://juliencoder.de/nama/hatched_from_an_empty_shell.ogg
What happens to abandonned spaces and which atmosphere do they convey? It's
more an impression than a strict composition. It's binaural and was done in
Csound, except for sample cutting, which was done in Nama. The piece is based
on field recordings, physically modelled effects and synthesized sounds.

The main sample is me walking down the stairs in the highest tower at our
university (8 1/2 storeys). I always wanted to do something with this. At
least one of the ups and down has now made it. :)

Many thanks to Frank Neumann for the heaviest door alive, recorded at the
groundfloor of Karlsruhe ZKM stairwell (next to the auditorium, elevator and
toilets, if there is more than one).

I hope you enjoy it and let me know. :)

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

It's not complicated
We just syncopated
We can read each others' minds <3

Re: [New electro-acoustic composition]: hatched from an empty shell

he can jog
This is fantastic, thanks for sharing it!

Nama is also very interesting-sounding, I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

How did you approach the effects processing? I like the sound of the synthetic space very much, and how it blends with other synth-type sounds (maybe actually artifacts of the processing) that emerge.

Best,
Erik

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019, at 1:20 PM, Jeanette C. wrote:
[...]

Feb 22 2019, Erik Schoster has written:
> How did you approach the effects processing? I like the sound of the synthetic space very much, and how it blends with other synth-type sounds (maybe actually artifacts of the processing) that emerge.
Thanks for your kind feedback, I'm glad to hear it.

As for my approach: I thought of it rather like a scene in a radioplay.
I created the room first (dimensions, wall properties,...) and then I
placed the constants in it, the distant traffic, the spiralling winds
and of course me going down the stairs. Creating the path for that was
rather cumbersome, even with a few helpful utilities. :)

The little peripheral scenes of the doors opening and revealing their
secrets were mixed in extra Csound orchestras ans then statically placed
somewhere along the wall, in line with the straight bits of the walk.

For the few synthetic textures I went with my feelings. Creating the
sounds in Csound, building the chords and adding a bit more to make them
more ethereal and surreal. Adding a kind of phaser or playing with
Csound Waveguide.

Since the virtual tower is 60 metres high, I had to move the listener
occasionally, to keep the sound within good reach. For that the strange
balloon/elevator sound was inserted to "paint" the move and help with
perspective.

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

It's not complicated
We just syncopated
We can read each others' minds <3

Re: [New electro-acoustic composition]: hatched from an empty shell

On Fri, 22 Feb 2019 20:19:58 +0100 (CET)
"Jeanette C." <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hey hey,
>I just released this:
>http://juliencoder.de/nama/hatched_from_an_empty_shell.flac
>http://juliencoder.de/nama/hatched_from_an_empty_shell.mp3
>http://juliencoder.de/nama/hatched_from_an_empty_shell.ogg
>What happens to abandonned spaces and which atmosphere do they convey? It's
>more an impression than a strict composition. It's binaural and was done in
>Csound, except for sample cutting, which was done in Nama. The piece is based
>on field recordings, physically modelled effects and synthesized sounds.
>
>The main sample is me walking down the stairs in the highest tower at our
>university (8 1/2 storeys). I always wanted to do something with this. At
>least one of the ups and down has now made it. :)
>
>Many thanks to Frank Neumann for the heaviest door alive, recorded at the
>groundfloor of Karlsruhe ZKM stairwell (next to the auditorium, elevator and
>toilets, if there is more than one).
>
>I hope you enjoy it and let me know. :)
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Jeanette

Excellent atmospheric construction!

Re: [New electro-acoustic composition]: hatched from an empty shell

Hey hey,
I finally released a "video" on youtube:
youtu.be/bah-8V_s47U

It's a still of the third storey of the stairs that I climbed. I think the
most spectacular level. It's the highest level where three stairwells meet.
You can just about see two of the elevator doors, around which the stairs
wind. Please excuse the quality, I took the photo myself. I did as best as I
could.

For two more levels two stair cases rise, then it's only the one that I went
up and down to record the steps. I hope that it gives some idea of the
surroundings and doesn't deter too much from the virtual space that was
created in Csound.

Best wishes and enjoy,

  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I believe