Not so April 1

Will Godfrey
Sometimes a spoof gets remarkably close to the truth :o
The following paragraph is in today's 'The register'

"Rather than try to maintain those databases, the researchers instead chose to
study the way NAND memory chips age. They found that, as a chip undergoes
multiple program erase (PE) cycles (with information being written and then
overwritten), small imperfections will be created in the transistors that will
very slightly increase the time it takes a chip to perform erase operations."

Re: Not so April 1

Peter-2
Dear Will,

Am 08.05.2018 um 23:56 schrieb Will Godfrey:

> overwritten), small imperfections will be created in the transistors that will
> very slightly increase the time it takes a chip to perform erase operations."

It is actually amazing that todays chips work so reliable. The problem of electromigration
is indeed known for a hundred years and if you are interested there's of course a wikipedia
entry: < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromigration >.
An no, that's not an April fools joke.

The problem is not only the chips themselves, but also the bonding to the outside world,
as gold, which is often used,  is rather ductile.

Best regards,
Peter