OSC-generating plugin?

Jörn Nettingsmeier-5
Hi *!

Does anybody know of a decent free plugin that generates arbitrary OSC
command streams from plugin automation data in the DAW? Preferrably
(gasp!) VST? Idea is to use SomeEvilDAW to send and control smart things
on a box running a friendly OS and a FriendlyDAW.

Best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland

Referent für Beschallung im VDT

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland
Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net

Re: OSC-generating plugin?

Julius Smith
Hi Jörn,

That's a cool idea - I'm going to need this as well!

How about using faust2faustvst to create a VST plugin having the
parameters you want to automate, and using Faust's OSC support to
"xmit" the automation?

I have only used Faust OSC in the other direction
(https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/aspf/Using_FAUST_Open_Sound.html) but
it looks like the xmit mode should be adaptable to our needs.  We
might have to manually (with an architecture-file edit) link receive
to transmit, since it appears from the doc that the xmit option is
only for emitting manual manipulations of the GUI elements:
http://faust.grame.fr/docs/faust-quick-reference.pdf - it's not clear
to me that received OSC messages will be subject to xmit forwarding.

- Julius

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi *!
>
> Does anybody know of a decent free plugin that generates arbitrary OSC
> command streams from plugin automation data in the DAW? Preferrably (gasp!)
> VST? Idea is to use SomeEvilDAW to send and control smart things on a box
> running a friendly OS and a FriendlyDAW.
>
> Best,
>
> Jörn
>

> --
> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland
> Tel. +49 177 7937487
>
> Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio)
> Referent für Beschallung im VDT
>
> --
> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland
> Tel. +49 177 7937487
>
> Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
> http://stackingdwarves.net

Julius O. Smith III <[hidden email]>
Professor of Music and, by courtesy, Electrical Engineering
CCRMA, Stanford University
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/

Re: OSC-generating plugin?

Robin Gareus
On 06/19/2017 08:07 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Hi *!
>
> Does anybody know of a decent free plugin that generates arbitrary OSC
> command streams from plugin automation data in the DAW? Preferrably
> (gasp!) VST? Idea is to use SomeEvilDAW to send and control smart things
> on a box running a friendly OS and a FriendlyDAW.

Sending OSC is not rt-safe and VST parameters are rather limited.
"arbitrary messages" are no fun and need all kinds of hacks (eg sending
them from the UI thread). There are a couple of single-parameter VSTs
though.

Along those lines there's an ancient LADSPA plugin, too:
https://code.google.com/archive/p/noisesmith-linux-audio/downloads
needs some CFLAGS=-fPIC but otherwise still compiles, but it probably
won't run in SomeEvilDAW.

A more generic solution: https://github.com/x42/jackmidi2osc
Receive MIDI from someplace, generate fancy OSC based on rules.

Spencer wrote a similar tool https://github.com/ssj71/OSC2MIDI/ which
despite its name can also turn MIDI into OSC.

ciao,
robin

Re: OSC-generating plugin?

Diemo Schwarz

ToscA!  http://forumnet.ircam.fr/shop/en/forumnet/84-tosca.html

"ToscA plugin can be inserted into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation, such as
ProTools, Apple Logic, Digital Performer, Ableton Live, etc.) in order to
send/receive parameters’ automation.

The ToscA plugin is available in the following formats: AU, VST, VST3, AAX."

                                                                ...Diemo

--
Diemo Schwarz, PhD -- http://diemo.concatenative.net
Sound–Music–Movement Interaction Team -- http://ismm.ircam.fr

Re: OSC-generating plugin?

Jörn Nettingsmeier-5
Robin, Julius,

thanks for your replies. Julius, I wasn't aware of OSC magic in faust -
I recently used it to decode a mic prototype array I was testing, and it
worked like a charm (lazy me just used the online compiler), so I'll
definitely check it out. Will need to understand the realtime issues
that Robin pointed out, though.

On 06/19/2017 09:20 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:

> On 06/19/2017 08:07 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>> Hi *!
>>
>> Does anybody know of a decent free plugin that generates arbitrary OSC
>> command streams from plugin automation data in the DAW? Preferrably
>> (gasp!) VST? Idea is to use SomeEvilDAW to send and control smart things
>> on a box running a friendly OS and a FriendlyDAW.
>
> Sending OSC is not rt-safe and VST parameters are rather limited.
> "arbitrary messages" are no fun and need all kinds of hacks (eg sending
> them from the UI thread). There are a couple of single-parameter VSTs
> though.

Clarification: "arbitrary" in the sense of "freely configurable", like
so: data type, lower limit, upper limit, default value, OSC string, OSC
target URL.
So the plugin will be pretty static once it's set up. I could even live
with this being compile-time options.

> Along those lines there's an ancient LADSPA plugin, too:
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/noisesmith-linux-audio/downloads
> needs some CFLAGS=-fPIC but otherwise still compiles, but it probably
> won't run in SomeEvilDAW.
>
> A more generic solution: https://github.com/x42/jackmidi2osc
> Receive MIDI from someplace, generate fancy OSC based on rules.

I see. So this would also circumvent the realtime issue, since the
plugin would be using the host's MIDI sending mechanism?

> Spencer wrote a similar tool https://github.com/ssj71/OSC2MIDI/ which
> despite its name can also turn MIDI into OSC.

Thanks for the pointers, I'll look at them.

Best,

Jörn

On 06/19/2017 10:07 PM, Diemo Schwarz wrote:

> ToscA!  http://forumnet.ircam.fr/shop/en/forumnet/84-tosca.html
>
> "ToscA plugin can be inserted into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation,
> such as ProTools, Apple Logic, Digital Performer, Ableton Live, etc.) in
> order to send/receive parameters’ automation.
>
> The ToscA plugin is available in the following formats: AU, VST, VST3,
> AAX."

Thanks Diemo! I would have preferred an open-source tool, but since this
whole scheme is evil anyways and you can only lose your soul once, it'll
be fine :-D
I will admit to having bought a used Macbook recently (the customer is
always right, and he uses QLAB), so I will use that for testing. I can't
believe I will be remote-controlling Ardour from Reaper :-D An exercise
in futility for the sake of maintaining the client's workflow of choice...

On 06/19/2017 11:57 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> the customer is always right

Doesn't sound like the right customer though :-)