OT: Wikipedia, FM and John Chowning

Jens M Andreasen
Hi!

Seems like the father of FM-synthesis has joined wikipedia. Some of you
guys might care to take a brief look at the FM-synthesis page, just once
in a while, so it wont get vandalised again?

mvh // Jens M Andreasen

Re: OT: Wikipedia, FM and John Chowning

Jens M Andreasen
The missing link:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Frequency_modulation_synthesis

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 04:24 +0100, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Seems like the father of FM-synthesis has joined wikipedia. Some of you
> guys might care to take a brief look at the FM-synthesis page, just once
> in a while, so it wont get vandalised again?

Re: OT: Wikipedia, FM and John Chowning

Esben Stien
Jens M Andreasen <[hidden email]> writes:

> Some of you guys might care to take a brief look

It's so sad that wikipedia has let us down. We are now required to
register to add new pages. I hope there will soon be a fork, cause I'm
not going there anymore.

Anyone know of any forks of this project or a similar site that offers
a truly free wiki encyclopedia?.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m
           jid:b0ef@    n     n
c-6

Re: OT: Wikipedia, FM and John Chowning

c-6
> It's so sad that wikipedia has let us down. We are now required to
> register to add new pages. I hope there will soon be a fork, cause I'm
> not going there anymore.

yeah, i had to register to use this mailing list. how do i
unsubscribe? what was i thinking...

wikipedia is always fairly boring compared to what you can turn up
with a yahoogle search. sanitized textbook dreck..if you make a fork
let me know i have a few spoons in hiding

Re: OT: Wikipedia, FM and John Chowning

Lee Revell
On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 04:23 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> Jens M Andreasen <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Some of you guys might care to take a brief look
>
> It's so sad that wikipedia has let us down. We are now required to
> register to add new pages. I hope there will soon be a fork, cause I'm
> not going there anymore.

Um, they had a very good reason.  People were using the site to
anonymously slander others.

Lee

Re: OT: Wikipedia, FM and John Chowning

Phil Frost
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 01:04:16PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 04:23 +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> > Jens M Andreasen <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > Some of you guys might care to take a brief look
> >
> > It's so sad that wikipedia has let us down. We are now required to
> > register to add new pages. I hope there will soon be a fork, cause I'm
> > not going there anymore.
>
> Um, they had a very good reason.  People were using the site to
> anonymously slander others.

Libel, not slander :)

Also, there is the issue of general wiki spam, posting crap,
advertisements, etc.

Re: OT: Wikipedia, FM and John Chowning

Christoph Eckert-2

> It's so sad that wikipedia has let us down. We are now required to
> register to add new pages.

I'm still allowed to edit pages without registration as well as I can do
so in the german Wikipedia (though I have a login for the german one,
because only registered users are allowed to add media files).

I agree that registering is a pain, but due to todays spammers who flood
any free forum it's an annoying but necessary step.

Best regards

    ce

On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 21:33 +0100, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > It's so sad that wikipedia has let us down. We are now required to
> > register to add new pages.
>
> I'm still allowed to edit pages without registration as well as I can do
> so in the german Wikipedia (though I have a login for the german one,
> because only registered users are allowed to add media files).
>
> I agree that registering is a pain, but due to todays spammers who flood
> any free forum it's an annoying but necessary step.

The spam problem can theoretically be solved on a technical level.  I
don't think the libel problem can.

Lee

Phil Frost <[hidden email]> writes:

> issue of general wiki spam, posting crap, advertisements, etc.

If you give into this, you have already lost. A wiki is self
maintainable, in my opinion. You can always look up a revision or a
signed revision and you can always make one the current one.

Those who believe they have to maintain a wiki, have misunderstood
what a wiki is;), in my opinion. It will sort itself out and people
usually fix the page if something is screwed up.

Spam, crap, advertisement; bring it on, I'll revision it off my
righteous path.

--
Esben Stien is b0ef@e     s      a
         http://www. s     t    n m