Overdub Audio on Video

Will Godfrey
I have a video track with existing audio, and what I want to do is add speech
descriptions etc. Is there an easy way to do this?

Trying to handle reading out stuff while managing everything else for the
original recording is proving a bit too much for me :(

Re: Overdub Audio on Video

Lorenzo Sutton

On 23/06/2017 14:28, Will Godfrey wrote:
> I have a video track with existing audio, and what I want to do is add speech
> descriptions etc. Is there an easy way to do this?

How about using ardour?7
Now-a-days it can handle video [1], then you can add your speech as an
additional track.
I haven't used it myself, but have successfully used ardour + xjadeo [2]
synced through jack transport - the principle is similar, essentially
the scenario where the video editing is finalised and you want to
concentrate on the audio (e.g. soundtracks, sound design, voice-over, etc.)

Lorenzo.

[1] http://manual.ardour.org/video-timeline/
[2] http://xjadeo.sourceforge.net/

Re: Overdub Audio on Video

Hans Wilmers-2
Maybe kdenlive or openshot?
You can add audio to existing video+audio, pretty easy to do.

/ Hans

---
Hans Wilmers
NOTAM
Sandakerveien 24 D, bygg F3
N-0473 Oslo Norway
tlf.: +47 22358060
mob.: +47 92459361
http://www.notam02.no

On 06/23/2017 02:28 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> I have a video track with existing audio, and what I want to do is add speech
> descriptions etc. Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> Trying to handle reading out stuff while managing everything else for the
> original recording is proving a bit too much for me :(

Re: Overdub Audio on Video

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know Ardour could do video, however I find
it generally to be incredibly complex so probably won't go there unless I have
to. I'll probably try openshot first.

P.S.
Sorry to be late responding - up to my eyes in 'stuff' at the moment :(

Re: Overdub Audio on Video

Henning Thielemann

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017, Hans Wilmers wrote:

> Maybe kdenlive or openshot?
> You can add audio to existing video+audio, pretty easy to do.

These GUI driven programs promise easy usage, but I guess it is a
disadvantage that they usually unpack the original video stream and repack
it again with additional compression artifacts. If the speech audio stream
is ready then you can use ffmpeg with the option "-vcodec copy" such that
the video stream is copied without modification and only the audio tracks
are mixed and re-encoded.