Physical distance performance with Linux?

Mac

Physical distance performance with Linux?

Mac
In our current world situation I see a lot of videos, and in some cases live, performances by multiple musicians/vocalists in physically different locations.

Some are obviously in a MacGyver setup in the closet, others are in rather tricked out home studios (like the one I just watched of the Doobie Brothers, where they all were in their own studio).

Some are obvious compilations, video effects, etc. added. But, when they are live how do they deal with delays and monitoring for the local performance (in the Doobie's one, there was some post processing, but, the duets seemed really tight, both instruments and vocals.)

My question is, have any Linux folks had any experience setting this, with Linux tools obviously..., and how did you deal with delays and monitoring when live or (I assume when processed video is involved) monitoring and delay for multi-tracking from around the world?

Regards,
Mac

Re: Physical distance performance with Linux?

Giso Grimm
On 05.05.20 14:38, Mac wrote:

> In our current world situation I see a lot of videos, and in some cases
> live, performances by multiple musicians/vocalists in physically
> different locations.
>
> Some are obviously in a MacGyver setup in the closet, others are in
> rather tricked out home studios (like the one I just watched of the
> Doobie Brothers, where they all were in their own studio).
>
> Some are obvious compilations, video effects, etc. added. But, when they
> are live how do they deal with delays and monitoring for the local
> performance (in the Doobie's one, there was some post processing, but,
> the duets seemed really tight, both instruments and vocals.)
>
> My question is, have any Linux folks had any experience setting this,
> with Linux tools obviously..., and how did you deal with delays and
> monitoring when live or (I assume when processed video is involved)
> monitoring and delay for multi-tracking from around the world?

There are several tools out, some of them open source based:

jacktrip (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/jacktrip/)

soundjack (https://soundjack.eu/, closed source)

jamulus (http://llcon.sourceforge.net/)

Just to name a few.

We developed our own system based on zita-njbridge and some self-written
network managing tools, which we use almost every day:

https://github.com/gisogrimm/ovbox

The delay which can be achieved (with all of the systems - the
underlying network is the most critical factor) will be in the order of
30-80 ms between musicians (one way). 30-50 ms feels more or less ok, if
it is more you need to play actively before the time.

Best,

Giso

> Regards,
> Mac

Re: Physical distance performance with Linux?

Adam Sampson
Giso Grimm <[hidden email]> writes:

> jamulus (http://llcon.sourceforge.net/)

I'd definitely recommend having a play with Jamulus -- I've been using
it off and on for a couple of weeks, and it works remarkably well, with
end-to-end latencies in the 30-50ms range being quite manageable.

There's certainly a pretty decent jazz community on there now; I need to
persuade some more Scottish/Irish trad musicians to get it up and
running...

--
Adam Sampson <[hidden email]>                         <http://offog.org/>

Re: Physical distance performance with Linux?

David W. Jones
On 5/9/20 1:23 PM, Adam Sampson wrote:
Giso Grimm [hidden email] writes:

jamulus (http://llcon.sourceforge.net/)
I'd definitely recommend having a play with Jamulus -- I've been using
it off and on for a couple of weeks, and it works remarkably well, with
end-to-end latencies in the 30-50ms range being quite manageable.

There's certainly a pretty decent jazz community on there now; I need to
persuade some more Scottish/Irish trad musicians to get it up and
running...

Interesting. And they have a USB stick version with persistent home.

"My password is the last 8 digits of π."