Rated Blue - Straight Up

avlinux

Hi,

Passing along a new video tracked live with Mixbus32C and edited with Cinelerra. In these times of 'fake news' and 'alternative facts' we thought a plea to cut the BS was in order... This is our original song "Straight Up" from our 2016 album "Turnabout" and it obviously bows very reverently low to the unobtainable heights of James Brown and "jammin' on the one". It was also an excuse to play my old Harmony H78 guitar which due to it's age and fragility doesn't see the sun outside the studio..

https://vimeo.com/215511469

Thanks, Glen (Rated Blue)

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

Jeanette C.
May 1 2017, Glen MacArthur has written:
> https://vimeo.com/215511469
Hi Glen,
I LOVE the bass sound! <3 Very 70s, almost late 60s. The tone and the
way it sits in the mix. Perhaps a little loud by modern standards, but
it works very well with the song. Except for the guitar chords, I
wouldn't have been reminded of James Borwn, but of another funk jazz
musician. It's a nice song in its own right. It is straight up and
straight ahead. More of that, please!

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Mon, 01 May 2017 08:37:11 -0700
"Glen MacArthur" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://vimeo.com/215511469

Good tune.  I'd say that following "give it to me" the instrumental
that follows at 01:52 should have more oomph on the bass side.  Like
actually doing something extra.  Or both bass and guitar doing
something extra.

Cheers.

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

avlinux
Hi jonetsu,

Thanks for the listen and comment, much appreciated!

I do take your point, in this song I kind of went out of my way to make the instrumental part simple and keep it straight up (pun intended). When I was writing the song I consciously thought "here's where the big solo should/would go... hmm how about an anti-solo instead?". Obviously as I'm sure you've noticed guitarists tend to go way overboard and I both consciously want to avoid the stereotype but pragmatically also as the main singer and soloist it's nice to have a handful of songs through a night where I don't have to wank out yet another solo, indeed on this tune keeping the funky groove is challenge enough!

Thanks again, looking forward to your next creation!

Best, Glen

"Glen MacArthur" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> https://vimeo.com/215511469

Good tune. I'd say that following "give it to me" the instrumental
that follows at 01:52 should have more oomph on the bass side. Like
actually doing something extra. Or both bass and guitar doing
something extra.

Cheers.

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

On Mon, 01 May 2017 08:37:11 -0700
"Glen MacArthur" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Passing along a new video tracked live with Mixbus32C and edited with
> Cinelerra. In these times of 'fake news' and 'alternative facts' we
> thought a plea to cut the BS was in order... This is our original song
> "Straight Up" from our 2016 album "Turnabout" and it obviously bows
> very reverently low to the unobtainable heights of James Brown and
> "jammin' on the one". It was also an excuse to play my old Harmony H78
> guitar which due to it's age and fragility doesn't see the sun outside
> the studio..
>
> https://vimeo.com/215511469
>
> Thanks, Glen (Rated Blue)

Another very enjoyable track. Something that always makes me smile in your vids
is the bass guitarist. He always looks like he's taking it easy, but the riffs
he produces are great.

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

On Tue, 2 May 2017, Glen MacArthur wrote:

> instrumental part simple and keep it straight up (pun intended). When I was
> writing the song I consciously thought "here's where the big solo should/would
> go... hmm how about an anti-solo instead?". Obviously as I'm sure you've noticed

Cinnamon Girl? Are you from T.O. too?

;)

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

jonetsu@teksavvy.com
On Tue, 02 May 2017 11:15:25 -0700
"Glen MacArthur" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Glen,

> I do take your point, in this song I kind of went out of my way to
> make the instrumental part simple and keep it straight up (pun
> intended). When I was writing the song I consciously thought "here's
> where the big solo should/would go... hmm how about an anti-solo
> instead?".

I see.  A few 'solo' bass notes are surely anti-something somewhere.
Suggesting it can go a long way.  Not just the absence, but the
suggestion of it.  To make it stand out as such and not just be
something taken off.  Even if it's only for 15 seconds or so.  Not just
taking something off but actually making it anti-solo, even if this
sounds paradoxal.  Listeners might very well pick up on the suggestion.

> Thanks again, looking forward to your next creation!

Looks like the first mix out of 32Cv4 will be the remixing an \old\ one
in which the piano goes solo overboard. :)

Cheers.

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

avlinux
Hi Will,

Thanks very much for watching, yes Pete is a musical genius and a great human being, he's always "all in" whether it's a polka or a metal tune.

How are your productions going?

Best, Glen

"Glen MacArthur" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Passing along a new video tracked live with Mixbus32C and edited with
> Cinelerra. In these times of 'fake news' and 'alternative facts' we
> thought a plea to cut the BS was in order... This is our original song
> "Straight Up" from our 2016 album "Turnabout" and it obviously bows
> very reverently low to the unobtainable heights of James Brown and
> "jammin' on the one". It was also an excuse to play my old Harmony H78
> guitar which due to it's age and fragility doesn't see the sun outside
> the studio..
>
> https://vimeo.com/215511469
>
> Thanks, Glen (Rated Blue)

Another very enjoyable track. Something that always makes me smile in your vids
is the bass guitarist. He always looks like he's taking it easy, but the riffs
he produces are great.

Re: Rated Blue - Straight Up

Will Godfrey
On Tue, 02 May 2017 18:57:52 -0700
"Glen MacArthur" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Will,
>
> Thanks very much for watching, yes Pete is a musical genius and a
> great human being, he's always "all in" whether it's a polka or a
> metal tune.
>
> How are your productions going?
>
> Best, Glen

A bit quiet at the moment. Currently, I'm practicing something that I hope will
interest a few people in a couple of weeks time :)

I'm convinced my keyboard is so old it's stretched - how else can I explain
that I keep missing notes I used to reach with ease!