Re: [CP] KISS or Complex?

Stephen Stubbs-2

09-30-2017

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately, I am not the person to go into technical details about mixing.  I know some of the basic concepts, but other than pan and volume, I have not used the other techniques.

Check out the Internet for sound mixing groups.  At one time, I was working with Linux systems for music (personal pleasure use at home), and followed the Linux Audio group.  I still do follow that group.

To post to that group, I use    [hidden email]

There should be other Internet groups around.  The people at the Linux audio group include mixing professionals.  They should be able to listen and give suggestions on how to adjust your mix.  The group is for people using digital audio workstations (DAW) running under Linux and Linux mixing tools.  So some of their suggestions may only apply to Linux programs/tools.

But they are very helpful in listening to work and making suggestions.

I would think there are professionals who use the DAW and tools that you are using.  Find the groups when they hang out.  Mention your hearing issues.  At the Linux audio group, there are blind people using command line Linux DAWs and tools for their mixing.  As you are probably aware, musicians are very generous with their time and talents.

Good Luck,

Stephen.

Re: [CP] KISS or Complex?

Ralf Mardorf
On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 10:29:44 -0500, Stephen Stubbs wrote:
>totally deaf in one ear!

Hi and sorry, since I don't have the time to read the whole thread.

However, it doesn't matter if you are unable to do a stereo mix.

Sane audio engineers anyway care about the stereo mix being compatible
to a mono mix.

Most imporatent for stereo either way is the mono mix, IOW you need
to correct issues by using a parametric EQ and not by using panning.

This is relevant by hearing with one ear or two ears.

The frequency domain is the room where a "two eared" audio engineer
placed audio signals as well as the "one eared" person, the only
difference is, that a professional audio engineer cares about two eared
and one eared persons and tries to make a mix that give two eared
people a spacial enjoyment, while one eared people just get a good
enjoyment :p.

To fix such frequency domain issues on Linux use Fon's parametric EQ or
Robins x42 EQ, based on Fon's EQ.

Regards,
Ralf

Re: [CP] KISS or Complex?

Oops, "Fon's" should read "Fons'" and I forgot to post the links.

http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/ladspa/
https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/fil-plugins/
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/fil-plugins
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/fil-plugins

https://github.com/x42/x42-plugins
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/x42-plugins/
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/x42-plugins
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/x42-plugins

The last time I made a production using Linux I used Arch
Linux x42-plugins 20161230-1. It did the job without issues, but IIRC
there was an algebraic sign error just for the GUI, that didn't affect
the EQ's work. I compiled, but didn't use the latest version.

--
Guerilla Open Access Manifesto:
https://archive.org/stream/GuerillaOpenAccessManifesto/Goamjuly2008_djvu.txt

Re: [CP] KISS or Complex?

Stephen Stubbs-2
Thanks Ralf, for the reply.  I have passed on your suggestions.
Greatly appreciated.

But my sincerest apologies to the Linux Audio List.  I put the address
in the To: line, so that I could remember to spell it correctly.  I
thought I had removed the address before sending the post, but
obviously I didn't.

Forgive me.
Stephen.