Re: Frontier Design Tranzport working

Ross Vandegrift
On Tue, Oct 18, 2005 at 01:39:40AM -0700, Arthur Choung wrote:
> I just got a Frontier Design Tranzport and after a little bit of work,
> I finally got it working with Linux. I was wondering if anyone was
> interested in knowing how it works and what not. If so, I will put
> together some documentation and source code and post it somewhere.

Hello Art,

I was just looking back over this thread from October and I wasn't
sure if you ever followed up with any info about the device, its
capabilities with the software you use, and how you got it running.

Did I miss the message?  I'm starting to get my new place setup with
all my gear, and I just thought back to this little device and drooled
a bit! ::-)

--
Ross Vandegrift

man in the bonds of Hell."

Re: Frontier Design Tranzport working

Mike Taht-2
I got one for pre-christmas, but (given that my primary use for it is
ardour, and ardour is too much in flux to use) haven't done much with
it yet. I was basically going to hack some X keyboard synthesis tool
to make it send along events.... but I'm sure if someone on the list
were to get more motivated about the tranzport I could help out.

--
Mike Taht
PostCards From the Bleeding Edge
http://the-edge.blogspot.com

Re: Re: Frontier Design Tranzport working

Sampo Savolainen
Quoting Mike Taht <[hidden email]>:

> I got one for pre-christmas, but (given that my primary use for it is
> ardour, and ardour is too much in flux to use) haven't done much with
> it yet. I was basically going to hack some X keyboard synthesis tool
> to make it send along events.... but I'm sure if someone on the list
> were to get more motivated about the tranzport I could help out.

By hacking together, i assume you mean by using
http://tranzport.sourceforge.net/ ?

Can I suggest you a route to go about? Don't send keyboard events to ardour.
That will make the software unreliable (focus changes, tranzport "dies").
There are better options: Ardour responds to MTC/MMC. You can make a piece
of software which listens to the tranzport events, translates them into
MTC/MMC and sends them to a alsa sequencer port.

This means that you can use the tranzport to control ardour, any other
software which uses MTC/MMC, _and_ all external equipment who support it.

Of course, this way you can't get all the cool information like metering,
track names, etc. which you would get with better ardour integration. Otoh,
this way you get yourself acquainted with the device and it will help you
when the time comes to write the "real" driver for ardour.

  Sampo