Re: need just one more d/a output... spdif output on RME 9652

Re: need just one more d/a output... spdif output on RME 9652

john gibby
I realized that my RME 9652 has 2 channels of output via spdif, which can be configured to go out on the ADAT1 optical interface!  This seems like a much better solution than using 2 sound cards, as long as I only need a couple more channels of output.  But I'm having trouble understanding how to make this work.  I ran hdspconf and checked the box for "SPDIF out" on ADAT1.  But which channels do I use, like in Jack?  I see 26 system outputs in Jack Connections.  Two of those must be the spdif outs; is it 25 and 26?  Do I disconnect my optical cable from the RME 9652 adat1 port, the one that currently goes to my adat d/a box, connect it to the adat2 port instead, and then connect the RME 9652 adat1 port to my spdif d/a device?

Sorry for being so clueless...

Note also that I did find a way, more than one way I think, to use 2 separate sound cards.  I can configure Jack to use a "dummy" sound card, and In Ecasound can write directly to the different hardware devices.  Seems to work fine, though awfully non-standard.  Or I can use an alsa application that makes the 2 sound cards look like one alsa device.  But, until/unless I need more channels, I would much prefer to use the spdif on the rme 9652.
Thanks very much for helping,
John

On Thu, May 18, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/17/2017 08:06 PM, john gibby wrote:
Hi,
Just a little question - I have an RME9652 connected to a Tango24 to give me 8 d/a outputs via ADAT; but I really need 9 outputs.  I only really need ONE input, for testing/crossover design.  The 9 outputs I need are:  front L/R low/mid/high, center, L/R surround.

Hmm. You mean you want active three-way on left and right, but run the center fullrange? Nothing against passive designs, but I don't think it's wise to have a vastly different design for the center (since the rest of your mail sounds like you're after high quality and detailed control). So maybe upgrade to 16 ADAT outs anyway, to ease the pain of missing just one extra out? ;)

I understand you are not going to connect the speakers via ADAT (and if you are, you might want to reconsider...), but there's gonna be a DA box in between, right?

You could abuse the analog outs, or use the SPDIF out pair for the surrounds... if you need sample accuracy in the lab, it might be wise to measure as the output latency between ADAT and SPDIF/Analog might differ, but in practical use it will be negligible.

So I'm wondering the nicest way to do get my 9 ADAT outputs.  Maybe I should just look for a good deal on another Tango24... or, get a Behringer 8000 d/a for less money, and use it for the L/R surround channels.

If you go the Behringer way, get the new one (8200 I believe), they fixed the power supply, so the thing is less likely to die on you in a bad moment...

  Both those options give me 8 more inputs that I don't really
need right now...  Is there something reasonable I might buy (and sell my Tango24), that has ADAT, with from 10 to 16 outputs and 8 or less inputs?

With these simple options like the ADA 8200, you really can't save much by leaving out the inputs. If you want to go up a notch, there's the DirectOut Andiamo 2 DA (no inputs), but I guess that thing is around 2k euros, and it only takes MADI input. And then there's the Ferrofish boxes, quite full-featured with ADAT and MADI I/O in addition to all the analog lines.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
De Rijpgracht 8, 1055VR Amsterdam, Nederland

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Tonmeister VDT
http://stackingdwarves.net

On Sun, 21 May 2017 04:45:42 -0400, john gibby wrote:
>I realized that my RME 9652 has 2 channels of output via spdif

Please, next time don't break the thread. Since your mail didn't show
up by the same thread, I send my earlier quasi redundant reply.

Re: need just one more d/a output... spdif output on RME 9652

john gibby
Good point Ralf, will be more careful. I have everything working now. thanks for the help, all!