Recording from JACK to 24-bit FLAC on the command-line?

Recording from JACK to 24-bit FLAC on the command-line?

Mario Lang
Hi.

What would I use to accomplish this?
I tried ecasound ... -o foo.flac, which fails.
jack_rec ... foo.flac generates a WAVE file.
What else?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Blog: <https://blind.guru/>  GitHub: <https://github.com/mlang/>

Re: Recording from JACK to 24-bit FLAC on the command-line?

Chris Caudle
On Fri, July 7, 2017 10:54 am, Mario Lang wrote:
> What would I use to accomplish this?

The help output for jack_capture indicates that jack_capture will do what
you need.
No man page on my system, but jack_capture --help gives basic help, and
jack_capture --advanced-options gives the additional options, which
include different file formats.

From the help output:
To record a stereo file of what you hear:
  $jack_capture

To record a stereo file of what you hear in the flac format:
 $jack_capture -f flac

To record a stereo file of what you hear in the ogg format:
 $jack_capture -f ogg

To record a stereo file of what you hear in the mp3 format:
 $jack_capture -mp3

To record a stereo file of what you hear in the wav format:
  $jack_capture --port system:playback_1 --port system:playback_2
**** NOTE! The above example does _exactly_ the same as the default!!!  ****

Re: Recording from JACK to 24-bit FLAC on the command-line?

Joel Roth-2
On Fri, Jul 07, 2017 at 05:54:23PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> Hi.
>
> What would I use to accomplish this?
> I tried ecasound ... -o foo.flac, which fails.
> jack_rec ... foo.flac generates a WAVE file.
> What else?

Hi

According to the docs, ecasound's libsndfile option should
do the trick:

ecasound ... -o:sndfile,foo.flac

cheers,

> --
> CYa,
>   ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Blog: <https://blind.guru/>  GitHub: <https://github.com/mlang/>
>   .''`. | Twitter: @blindbird23        FaceBook: disyled
>  : :' : | SoundCloud: <soundcloud.com/mario-lang>
>  `. `'  | YouTube: <youtube.com/user/mlang23>
>    `-

Joel Roth

Re: Recording from JACK to 24-bit FLAC on the command-line?

Mario Lang
On Fri, July 7, 2017 10:54 am, Mario Lang wrote:

>> What would I use to accomplish this?

"Chris Caudle" <[hidden email]> replied:

> The help output for jack_capture indicates that jack_capture will do what
> you need.

Thanks you!  This is exactly what I need.  And the ASCII metering is a
unexpected welcome feature to have.

$ jack_capture -f flac -b 24 -p system:capture_3 -p system:capture_4

is what I was looking for.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕